Rejuvenating Old transfers

jazz

If the tacky has dried out on pressfix transfers rendering them useless try turning them into the methfix version. This is easily done by purchasing a bottle of SPECIAL PALE FRENCH POLISH from Squires (??6.49), painting a thin coat all over the sheet on the 'tacky' side. Then when dry (only a few minutes) use exactly the same as methfix transfers. (That is exactly what you have created)

I have coated all my old sheets and saved a small fortune at around ??17.00 for the HMRS sheets.

This loco was done using that method as the 'tacky'had completely dried out

post-150-1260392373455_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that Jazz.

Please pardon my ignorance - I've never used 'Methfix' transfers before. How do I proceed?

Many thanks for your help.

Score through the tissue layer only with a sharp craft knife keeping quite close to the image you rquire. Lift image corner with craft kife and use tweezers to pull image off the sheet and away from the backing paper.

Lay trasnfer face down where required on the model and soak with a solution of meths & water. About 20% water seems OK.

You can gently move the transfer into the exact postion and then GENTLY press down with a cotton cloth. Take care not to move the transfer while you do this and do it quite quickly as the 'gum' dries quite quick.

Leave a couple of minutes and soak with plain water and remove the tissue backing by carefully sliding it off the tranfer. (It will take a few seconds to loosen the tissue)

Carefully dab off excess water.

On dull finishes there may be a little gum residue showing. Simply gently wipe off with diluted meths when the transfer has completely dried. On shinny surfaces, (Which are the best for attaching any tranfers), you will not see the residue.

Finally, you can spray varnish of your choice over the model to protect the transfers and give your required final finish.

• 2 years later...

If the tacky has dried out on pressfix transfers rendering them useless try turning them into the methfix version. This is easily done by purchasing a bottle of SPECIAL PALE FRENCH POLISH from Squires (??6.49), painting a thin coat all over the sheet on the 'tacky' side. Then when dry (only a few minutes) use exactly the same as methfix transfers. (That is exactly what you have created)

I have coated all my old sheets and saved a small fortune at around ??17.00 for the HMRS sheets.

Hi Squires don't do the French Polish any more but plenty on EBay if you search for SPECIAL PALE FRENCH POLISH

I have just ordered a bottle to rejuvenate some wagon kit supplied transfers

Well worth knowing.

Now to see if anyone is selling dried out pressfix transfers on a well known auction site, cheap......

EBay don't go cheap, you'r probably thinking of budgies :no:

Not wishing to take business away from Squires but there is a product of the same name from various non railway suppliers, certain DIY outlets and ebay

http://www.axminster.co.uk/liberon-liberon-special-pale-french-polish-prod22091/?src=froogle

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/320922509160?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Mike Wiltshire

Score through the tissue layer only with a sharp craft knife keeping quite close to the image you rquire. Lift image corner with craft kife and use tweezers to pull image off the sheet and away from the backing paper.

Lay trasnfer face down where required on the model and soak with a solution of meths & water. About 20% water seems OK.

You can gently move the transfer into the exact postion and then GENTLY press down with a cotton cloth. Take care not to move the transfer while you do this and do it quite quickly as the 'gum' dries quite quick.

Leave a couple of minutes and soak with plain water and remove the tissue backing by carefully sliding it off the tranfer. (It will take a few seconds to loosen the tissue)

Carefully dab off excess water.

On dull finishes there may be a little gum residue showing. Simply gently wipe off with diluted meths when the transfer has completely dried. On shinny surfaces, (Which are the best for attaching any tranfers), you will not see the residue.

Finally, you can spray varnish of your choice over the model to protect the transfers and give your required final finish.

I have ordered a bottle of

This is really helpful and I may have to use the method if I cannot get a replacement set of transfers

The really irritating thing is that the faulty sheets I bought new only a couple of weeks ago, £20 worth

I checked the with trading standards and as the goods were not of merchantable quality and unfit for purpose I am entitled to my money back.

I will not, at this stage, reveal the miscreants, however they are trying my patience by ignoring communication.

:nono:

I have some dried up pressfix that I just use as methfix, I dont have to coat with anything first. see below quote taken from the FAQ's on the HMRS site

"

Q1: My Pressfix sheets have lost their stickiness – what can I do?

A1: Simple! You can use them as Methfix! (provided you are in a jurisdiction where possession of meths - i.e. denatured alcohol - is legal.) Pressfix transfers are basically Methfix with an adhesive layer added!"

Well now, that is interesting. When my Slater's pressfix dried out it was them that told me to coat them as I described. So I gues HMRS are different. I will try using them with just the meths then. But continue to coat Slater's.

Well now, that is interesting. When my Slater's pressfix dried out it was them that told me to coat them as I described. So I gues HMRS are different. I will try using them with just the meths then. But continue to coat Slater's.

I tried to use the sheets as Methfix without the coating Jazz describes, it works well enough for single large letters but words soon disintegrate into the component letters.

It is annoying that kits are still being shipped with faulty transfers

G

Archived