Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

• RMweb Premium

Maybe it's because most american cars are Automatics, ours are mostly manual ( place little yellow ball with tounge firmly in cheek here)

And in the US you can take the test in an automatic, then legally drive a manual (or "standard" as they say, even though it isn't).

Cue the story I heard (sister of a colleague) who bought her first manual car, got in, then asked the dealer how to drive it...

Even today when when SWMBO says put the kettle on that's exactly what I'll do, then I'll wander off. It will only some time later I'll remember what she wanted was a cup of tea.

There's an even more literal interpretation of "put the kettle on"....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

True but you'd have thought. I'd realise what put the kettle on means after 35 years together!!!

That sounds a bit direct - in our house it's far more likely to start with the words 'Do you fancy a cup of tea' or the slightly more direct version 'I could do with a cup of tea'.  Years of practice have left me thoroughly understanding that such seemingly innocuous phrases mean that I should immediately start the process of making tea.

However occasionally confusion is sown in order to totally confound my limited understanding of the female mind when the command 'Do you fancy a cup of tea' actually becomes a question - with no change of tone or intonation, and I am duly served with a cuppa a few minutes later.

• Like 4

It might get you a patient look, but a lynching? Nah.... ;)

Cheers,

David

In my experience a large number of modellers don't know that their other 4mm gauges than 00.

My preferred response is now to ask them if they would like to be photographed wearing a dunces hat or just go away..

In my experience a large number of modellers don't know that their other 4mm gauges than 00.

My preferred response is now to ask them if they would like to be photographed wearing a dunces hat or just go away..

A visit to my railway room would blow some people's minds. There's OO, EM, and mixed gauge P4 and broad gauge. Plus OO gauge track with big narrow gauge trains (AKA O-16.5), which is mixed with 32mm O gauge. Actually it would probably blow my mind trying to explain it :).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That sounds a bit direct - in our house it's far more likely to start with the words 'Do you fancy a cup of tea' or the slightly more direct version 'I could do with a cup of tea'.  Years of practice have left me thoroughly understanding that such seemingly innocuous phrases mean that I should immediately start the process of making tea.

However occasionally confusion is sown in order to totally confound my limited understanding of the female mind when the command 'Do you fancy a cup of tea' actually becomes a question - with no change of tone or intonation, and I am duly served with a cuppa a few minutes later.

In my abode it might very well start with 'it is your turn to make the tea' with an optional diatribe about how many she has made against my measly tally.

.... occasionally confusion is sown in order to totally confound my limited understanding of the female mind when the command 'Do you fancy a cup of tea' actually becomes a question - with no change of tone or intonation, and I am duly served with a cuppa a few minutes later.

Yes, I think I've seen that somewhere before.....

In my abode it might very well start with 'it is your turn to make the tea' with an optional diatribe about how many she has made against my measly tally.

With respect, that belongs under the topic "How to get lynched at home".

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

I say, does the replacement bus have DCC sound too?

It's an awfully long time (#1644) since my, then topical, suggestion that I would present a Seaford branch replacement bus service layout - is that the bus you are referring to? Does the Faller road system have sounds?

• 1 month later...

A layout operating with dead frog points.  Who needs solenoids?  Passing an electric current through dismembered frogs' legs will cause the muscles to contract and throw the points. Should keep the "rivet" counters in thrall too.

(I believe certain reptiles' parts work better than amphibians' if the claims for Tortoise point motors are to believed).

Why would you get lynched?  The smell of garlic from the frogs' legs!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A layout operating with dead frog points.  Who needs solenoids?  Passing an electric current through dismembered frogs' legs will cause the muscles to contract and throw the points. Should keep the "rivet" counters in thrall too.

(I believe certain reptiles' parts work better than amphibians' if the claims for Tortoise point motors are to believed).

Why would you get lynched?  The smell of garlic from the frogs' legs!

I reckon you'd be told to hoppit!

• RMweb Gold

That's it, we really really need a GROAN button :jester:

I have told myself to go to my room and think hard about what I have done, young man, but cannot really promise to mend my ways. I will probably continue to rabbit on like this...

• Like 1

Excuse me but I'm a wee bit deaf, can you turn your DCC sound Class 20s up a bit.

Lynched by the mob next door....

Dave

Haven't you heard? [groan] There's a DCC sound test track being set up next to your stand in Wakefield.

P

P.s. There's a duff link on your Website. Clicking on the LEFT link to a BC05 CCT buffer brings up the image of/option to buy for a BC04. Or at least it does on the PC I'm currently using. (Win 7 & Chrome)

Copy of the The left link:

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_098.htm

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Haven't you heard? [groan] There's a DCC sound test track being set up next to your stand in Wakefield.

P

P.s. There's a duff link on your Website. Clicking on the LEFT link to a BC05 CCT buffer brings up the image of/option to buy for a BC04. Or at least it does on the PC I'm currently using. (Win 7 & Chrome)

Copy of the The left link:

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_098.htm

Does a duff link take you to a Class 47 website?