Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

6 minutes ago, George Spencer said:

Is this thread still open?

Run a modern-day layout. In the run up to the show, repeatedly announce that Flying Scotsman will make occasional appearances during the exibition. Make sure this is spread over social media. Morning of the show, announce that the timings have been withheld due to the risk of trespassers.

I love that idea. It would give me great pleasure to not run the Flying Scotsman. I really might give that a try sometime. When I run my layout in late 1980s mode I include a couple of steam railtours. It would be easy to put a rumour on Facebook that Flying Scotsman would be running but on the day use a decent loco such as Duchess of Hamilton. The locos I use to run these railtours did have mainline tickets in the late 1980s but I haven’t got a Flying Scotsman.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

How about an "HS2 tunnel"? With nothing to see but a few green fields with a few cows, sheep and horses. Perhaps somewhere near Chalfont St.Giles.

HS2 will dig over 80 miles of tunnels, forming part of the HS2 network that will help connect the country, create thousands of jobs and rebalance the UK economy.

The longest and deepest tunnel will be the Chiltern tunnel measuring at 10 miles (16km) long and will go as deep as 90 metres.

Perplexed visitors will ask "What's this a model of then?"

The answer is "It's one of the HS2 train tunnels. if you stand very quietly, you can hear the HS2's running through the tunnels".

Every five minutes, play a tape recording of a train in a tunnel.

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

How about an "HS2 tunnel"? With nothing to see but a few green fields with a few cows, sheep and horses. Perhaps somewhere near Chalfont St.Giles.

Perplexed visitors will ask "What's this a model of then?"

The answer is "It's one of the HS2 train tunnels. if you stand very quietly, you can hear the HS2's running through the tunnels".

Every five minutes, play a tape recording of a train in a tunnel.

ISTR that one of Model Railway Constructor's April issues featured a London Underground layout which purported to be be beneath the floor of it's owner's house.  It was alleged to have perspex panels let in to the floorboards so that you could take up the carpets to observe the trains running.  I'm moderately sure I didn't dream this...

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

ISTR that one of Model Railway Constructor's April issues featured a London Underground layout which purported to be be beneath the floor of it's owner's house.  It was alleged to have perspex panels let in to the floorboards so that you could take up the carpets to observe the trains running.  I'm moderately sure I didn't dream this...

A previous thread here.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Old threads never die.

Did I use the idea of the branchline where the morning train leaves at 8:00 am and the evening train returns at 8:00 pm?

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Old threads never die.

Did I use the idea of the branchline where the morning train leaves at 8:00 am and the evening train returns at 8:00 pm?

On alternate Wednesday's. Then only because the Colonel is doing his annual inspection. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

Has anyone done a "Replacement Bus" layout?

The "normal" train service has been suspended, so there are no trains in sight. Instead, crowds of people are waiting at the station's bus stop, patiently not moving, while they wait for buses that never appear.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

6 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

The "normal" train service has been suspended, so there are no trains in sight. Instead, crowds of people are waiting at the station's bus stop, patiently not moving, while they wait for buses that never appear.

No. But there was a train set....

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

7 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Might be a good excuse for a Faller road system layout. Could work quite well with an underground station, saving all that modelling the railway nonsense...

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
On 02/08/2021 at 01:58, The Johnster said:

My GPs’ surgery in Alton actually has a model railway beneath the floor of the waiting area, with Perspex panels in the floor above the stations. I’ve never seen a train move but I think they must play with it after hours because every time I visit they are in different places.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 45655 said:

My GPs’ surgery in Alton actually has a model railway beneath the floor of the waiting area, with Perspex panels in the floor above the stations. I’ve never seen a train move but I think they must play with it after hours because every time I visit they are in different places.

That's just the anaesthetic wearing off... 

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Suzie said:

Might be a good excuse for a Faller road system layout. Could work quite well with an underground station, saving all that modelling the railway nonsense...

I'm planning to represent the no service couple of days of December 1960 on my layout. Loads of pictures of no trains; at an exhibition I would just have the landslip planted on the Incline leading to Honiton Tunnel' big blob of artificial mud and grass covering the tracks. I wouldn't even have to be in attendance, just have a large notice explaining. 

P

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I did once have a mad idea for an urban diorama where you'd be looking through the arch of a viaduct, and you'd hear the sound of trains from up above. Then I started playing with the idea of a street scene in Victorian London where you'd have an opening between houses, and every so often a blast of smoke and the noise of a train going by underneath.

• Like 10

On a finescale ECML layout, use three of these in front of The Flying Scotsman 'because they're faster than my A4s'.

image.png.9d947358676a5312f6fd52a4266d9577.png

Then show Flying Scotsman (the loco) hauling a dynamometer car. Display a dial reading 98mph. Enter City of Truro painted to blend in with the background, which catches up to the train and 'pushes' it, as the dial suddenly increases to 100mph.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

On 26/02/2012 at 10:55, halfwit said:

Prefer the Kelly Kettle myself - lots more entertainment. Could use it to burn, well, anything that annoys you...

http://kellykettle.com/

At a reenactment show some 6 years ago, whilst brewing up for the chaps with said kelly kettle, this punter comes rushing over, waving his arms around and shouting "stop, stop, STOP" I asked him what the problem was - he replies that the things are very dangerous and his one had exploded, narrowly missing him with scolding hot water.  When I showed him that it was fine as the cork was removed from the filler neck he looked very puzzled......

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another variation on a theme would be yet another 'shed' layout,

but with all the available siding space filled with rusty wagons, and

no room to run anything (maybe play a loop of workshop sounds)

Just tell everyone it's a failing/failed preservation group!

• Like 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DK123GWR said:

Find the loudest vaccuum cleaner you can and use it to create a model of Brunel's atmospheric railway. If people start making comments about poor running, politely remind them that Brunel's didn't work much better.

You need a model tree, with lots of period bank notes attached. 

• Funny 2