Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

10 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Reminds me of the child who thought that wind was caused by trees waving their branches about!

Don't be silly - the wind is caused by windmills and turbines acting as giant fans. The increasing frequency and severity of storms is nothing to do with climate change brought about by pumping greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere for two centuries - it's all these new wind turbines being installed which are blowing the wind harder! The turbines don't actually generate power - they contain electric motors which spin the blades. I thought everyone knew this!

Are we still on topic?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Reminds me of the child who thought that wind was caused by trees waving their branches about!

You mean it isn't? :crazy:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I can remember my Mum telling me when I was very small that the trees waved their branches to make the wind to cool the sun down.

Andi

• Like 8

11 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Once you've manned a stand at an exhibition you find yourself readjusting your definition of 'oddball'. It's quite an eye opener. 

Is it Warley where the societies are all grouped together and use the same (venue provided) type of stand? It's possible that they'd not twigged that you and the Swiss railways people (and whoever was between you) weren't all one contiguous stand - presumably belonging to the 'Foreign Railways Society'. I mean, the flags should be a giveaway, but then all foreign flags look the same......

They don't get off that lightly. The Swiss stand wasn't far from ours but the other side of the aisle and there were other "domestic"  stands in between. If they'd asked if we knew about Swiss railways not knowing that the SRS were present that would have been understandable. but they asled specifically if we were the Swiss Railway Society (If they'd asked about Italian Railways they'd have got good answers since two of the people on our stand that day are also members of the Italian Railway Society)   

British modellers do tend to group the world 's railways into three nationalities, British, American and Foreign/German (though we're actually less parochial in this country than most) whereas the real distinction is of course between those whose trains run on the correct side and those where they run on the right.

I do remember at one show where we had a (very) French mainline layout, someone saying very loudly to his friends that we'd got it all wrong because "continental" trains all run on the right (but I've also seen articles by well know "fine scale " track experts stating that Britain was the only country where bullhead rail was used.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I can remember being on the footbridge at Reading station (pre rebuild) when A4 60009 came in on a railtour. I heard a passenger on the bridge say "Oh look, that train's on fire!"

I was guard on a Mid Hants Real Ale Train and we were stopped by the fire brigade at Medstead and Four Marks due to someone in one of the houses near the line reporting that the loco was on fire! We later found out that the people had only moved into the house that week and were very surprised when they were told that most of our trains were steam hauled and the loco crew would be rather upset if there wasn't a fire in the loco.

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DK123GWR said:

Don't be silly - the wind is caused by windmills and turbines acting as giant fans. The increasing frequency and severity of storms is nothing to do with climate change brought about by pumping greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere for two centuries - it's all these new wind turbines being installed which are blowing the wind harder! The turbines don't actually generate power - they contain electric motors which spin the blades. I thought everyone knew this!

Are we still on topic?

In South Australia a few years ago, there was a severe storm that blew down a series of transmission line towers, which ended up causing the whole state to trip out!

The federal government anti-renewable brigade, blamed the wind turbines and so proved that wind & solar were 'unreliable'.

Not sure what good they are in the transmission lines, literally collapse.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I can remember being on the footbridge at Reading station (pre rebuild) when A4 60009 came in on a railtour. I heard a passenger on the bridge say "Oh look, that train's on fire!"

This reminds me of a holiday in the west country when my aunty pointed out of the car window and exclaimed. "Oh look, a steamer!" We looked and saw a class 33 blowing out the most amazing clag with a rake of Mk2s behind.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Someone told me that butterflies flapping their wings makes wind and could lead to a hurricane on the other side of the world.

That's why I kill the ******s    :prankster:

Friend of mine hates butterflies.  'How can you hate butterflies, everybody likes butterflies, they're beautiful' I asked, and she replied, 'have you ever seen one's face in close up'?

Fair enough.

• Funny 3

14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Someone told me that butterflies flapping their wings makes wind and could lead to a hurricane on the other side of the world.

That's why I kill the ******s    :prankster:

Ahh but chaos theory cuts both ways so killing them so they don't then flap their wings could cause an even worse hurricane that wouldn't have happened if you hadn't swatted them.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Friend of mine hates butterflies.  'How can you hate butterflies, everybody likes butterflies, they're beautiful' I asked, and she replied, 'have you ever seen one's face in close up'?

Fair enough.

Yes but we are large and they are small!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 20/08/2021 at 21:58, DK123GWR said:

Are we still on topic?

No, no, no. Wind turbines are there to stir the clouds and make them into interesting shapes (at least this is what my children have been taught to believe. Remember wind turbine = cloud stirrer. :P

• Funny 5

Having exhibited my 009 layouts quite a bit in the past, I’ve experienced some of the variations on ‘is it N gauge?’ Fair enough when it’s a newbie or a casual visitor at a general local exhibition, as it is genuinely confusing for non-model railway people, but I am sometimes surprised by how many people who apparently have their own layout don’t understand the difference between gauge and scale.* But anyway, I thought that next time I go to an exhibition I might take my revenge and ask all the N gauge exhibitors if their layouts are 009. To make it even funnier/more annoying (delete as appropriate), you could do this at the International N Gauge Show - just remember to vary it and ask the exhibitors of Continental European or North American models if their layouts are H0e/H0n30 rather than 009.

Another option to confuse people is for organisers to design the exhibition plan so that an 009 layout is alongside a P4 layout, which is itself next to a GWR broad gauge layout. The 009 modeller can explain the difference between narrow and standard gauge, describing 00 as standard gauge. The P4 modeller can say that actually, 00 is a bit too narrow. Finally, the GWR broad gauge modeller can describe all railways of below 7’ 0 1/4” gauge as ‘narrow gauge’...

*Obviously I’m only surprised by this when exhibiting 009 layouts. I also have a Christmas-themed layout on which a T gauge train represents a model of an 0 gauge one, in 1:12 scale. I usually end up confusing myself trying to explain this, never mind anyone else.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Having exhibited my 009 layouts quite a bit in the past, I’ve experienced some of the variations on ‘is it N gauge?’

Not a problem if you model O-16.5....  :crazy:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

48 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Another option to confuse people is for organisers to design the exhibition plan so that an 009 layout is alongside a P4 layout, which is itself next to a GWR broad gauge layout. The 009 modeller can explain the difference between narrow and standard gauge, describing 00 as standard gauge. The P4 modeller can say that actually, 00 is a bit too narrow. Finally, the GWR broad gauge modeller can describe all railways of below 7’ 0 1/4” gauge as ‘narrow gauge’...

Starting a discussion on gauge with a P4 modeller? Isn't that called "Poking the bear?"

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

But American NG modellers do H0n3 and H0n30 so some of them already know that surely?

H0n3 modellers even have their own 10.5 mm gauge track commercially produced.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...