Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

14 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I saw a layout on YouTube recently that had the identical train in different scales that started (i think) in 0 at the front, disappeared into a tunnel then "reappeared" further back in the layout in a smaller scale, then this process was repeated to the back of the layout

JIm

Wasn’t that exhibited at St. Albans a few years ago? I think it was a little yellow tram/railcar type vehicle, starting off in something like 1:35 scale and going down to Z at the back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I saw a layout on YouTube recently that had the identical train in different scales that started (i think) in 0 at the front, disappeared into a tunnel then "reappeared" further back in the layout in a smaller scale, then this process was repeated to the back of the layout

JIm

6 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Wasn’t that exhibited at St. Albans a few years ago? I think it was a little yellow tram/railcar type vehicle, starting off in something like 1:35 scale and going down to Z at the back.

It was also at Chatham one year when that exhibition was still in the dockyard.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

JIm

Sounds more like imaginative modelling than a lynching offence, though. ;)

• Agree 6

9 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

It was certainly at Warley a few years back.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

JIm

B.A. Bodil...? https://youtu.be/E0UeZOPKVLg

I really like this concept of producing something away from the idea of a normal layout, not least because operating is a much of an art as actually building a layout, and yet it is expected to be done outside of working time directives. So I find any element of automation welcoming. 

Edited by 298
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Sounds more like imaginative modelling than a lynching offence, though. ;)

Yeah, it was great - not sure it belongs in this thread. It would confuse the people confused about scales though.

A little bit here explaining how it works: http://www.msgvalkenswaard.nl/index.php/nl/11-hoofdmenuartikel/ukddkfes/english/30-ba-bodil-english.html

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, 298 said:

B.A. Bodil...? https://youtu.be/E0UeZOPKVLg

I really like this concept of producing something away from the idea of a normal layout, not least because operating is a much of an art as actually building a layout, and yet it is expected to be done outside of working time directives. So I find any element of automation welcoming. 

Thanks for sharing that, it's a lovely model and a fascinating bit of work (and concept!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ben B said:

Thanks for sharing that, it's a lovely model and a fascinating bit of work (and concept!)

It’s given me an idea for a layout with some 009 at the front and a bit of T gauge at the back. I’ve not previously been confident enough to try forced perspective as in the classic street scene often envisaged it seems to rely a bit too much on everything tapering off to a distant point at exactly the right angle. But if I’ve understood correctly in this case it seems to be more based around the scales rather than compression across the width of the scene. Does B. A. Bodil taper to a vanishing point?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

It’s given me an idea for a layout with some 009 at the front and a bit of T gauge at the back. I’ve not previously been confident enough to try forced perspective as in the classic street scene often envisaged it seems to rely a bit too much on everything tapering off to a distant point at exactly the right angle. But if I’ve understood correctly in this case it seems to be more based around the scales rather than compression across the width of the scene. Does B. A. Bodil taper to a vanishing point?

It looks fairly ambiguous with non-descript scenery between the "scales", so there is nothing jarring to catch the eye.

There are places near Soller in Majorca where you can certainly see two and possibly three parts of the route on the hillside that might work for a similar layout, Cinc Ponts viaduct, Mirador sightseeing platform, and Soller itself.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/09/2021 at 21:57, luckymucklebackit said:

JIm

Saw one years ago in Melbourne that had a OO DMU on a layout. Attached to it, was called something like a reducer/enlarger, which consisted of a plastic funnel like arrangement and made a noise like a vacuum cleaner. Then out the other end popped out an N gauge version of the same model.

Later it went back, all automatic.

Another was called 'Zoo Choo' and consisted of a number of wagons in the train, with much larger scale animals in them.  One obviously was a giraffe. I honestly can't remember if it ducked. It wasn't Tri-ang.

This was long before the internet.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Saw one years ago in Melbourne that had a OO DMU on a layout. Attached to it, was called something like a reducer/enlarger, which consisted of a plastic funnel like arrangement and made a noise like a vacuum cleaner. Then out the other end popped out an N gauge version of the same model.

Later it went back, all automatic.

Another was called 'Zoo Choo' and consisted of a number of wagons in the train, with much larger scale animals in them.  One obviously was a giraffe. I honestly can't remember if it ducked. It wasn't Tri-ang.

This was long before the internet.

But were they forced perspective?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

But were they forced perspective?

No, not at all. Two separate layouts, connected only by this dummy funnel arrangement, which of course only served to hide diverging tracks, in the relevant scales.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

The 'Basingstoke Bodgers' did something very similar for one of their GMRC layouts.

Thats given me an idea for a lynching offence!! Approach a layout builder at Scale forum or Railex and say "Oh, I saw something similar done on the Great Model Railway Challenge."

And in the name of balance, approach a "ready to plant, out of the box, trainset" layout, hang around for a very short time and say "I cant stand rivet counters and people who take their hobby seriously" and walk away as if offended by it.

• Funny 8

1 hour ago, westernviscount said:

Approach a layout builder at Scale forum or Railex and say "Oh, I saw something similar done on the Great Model Railway Challenge."

No no no.... say "I've seen this layout before, on the Great Model Railway Challenge." ;) :spiteful:  :tomato:

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

2 hours ago, westernviscount said:

And in the name of balance, approach a "ready to plant, out of the box, trainset" layout, hang around for a very short time and say "I cant stand rivet counters and people who take their hobby seriously" and walk away as if offended by it.

Similarly, how about a P4 layout:

"Well, I like the weathering and scenery but the rails look a bit too small and far apart."

• Funny 10

On 04/09/2021 at 09:22, westernviscount said:

Thats given me an idea for a lynching offence!! Approach a layout builder at Scale forum or Railex and say "Oh, I saw something similar done on the Great Model Railway Challenge."

And add "....but I have to say I think they did it better."

Or just approach any P4 layout, spend some time examining it in detail, then catch the exhibitor's eye, say "It's such a shame, you came so close," shake your head sadly and walk away.

Edited by CameronL
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

On 04/09/2021 at 12:16, 009 micro modeller said:

Similarly, how about a P4 layout:

"Well, I like the weathering and scenery but the rails look a bit too small and far apart."

I think I may have mentioned earlier in the topic that I actually did something very similar to that - at ExpoEM in Bracknell,  when TBG had a derailment whilst operating Leighton Buzzard.... Needless to say, it was said purely in jest.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

I think I may have mentioned earlier in the topic that I actually did something very similar to that - at ExpoEM in Bracknell,  when TBG had a derailment whilst operating Leighton Buzzard.... Needless to say, it was said purely in jest.

What's the hospital food like in Bracknell?:jester:

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

What's the hospital food like in Bracknell?:jester:

It was probably an improvement on the Met Office canteen....

I've only had occasion to visit hospitals in the Bracknell area on two occasions.

One was Heatherwood hospital at Ascot when I broke my big toe at home in Reading, but managed to walk to the station, catch the train to Bracknell and walk to the office without any ill effects, only for it to become extremely painful by mid-morning. Only a relatively brief visit, and no food eaten.

The other was the time I was staying with an employee of Broadmoor Hospital who took me there to eat Sunday lunch in the canteen when he couldn't be bothered to cook! And that was a very good Sunday lunch :-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 05/09/2021 at 21:47, RJS1977 said:

It was probably an improvement on the Met Office canteen....

I've only had occasion to visit hospitals in the Bracknell area on two occasions.

One was Heatherwood hospital at Ascot when I broke my big toe at home in Reading, but managed to walk to the station, catch the train to Bracknell and walk to the office without any ill effects, only for it to become extremely painful by mid-morning. Only a relatively brief visit, and no food eaten.

The other was the time I was staying with an employee of Broadmoor Hospital who took me there to eat Sunday lunch in the canteen when he couldn't be bothered to cook! And that was a very good Sunday lunch :-)

Broadmoor :huh:.... did they let you both out again.... meet any in mates?

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Have a five minute advert break in operation every hour!

As soon as anyone new comes along to view the layout, hold a massive, view-blocking advert up in front of them. Make sure the advert is for something with absolutely nothing to do with model trains.

:spiteful:  ;)

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13