Tetleys Mills 3

tetleys

• RMweb Premium

Dave's Tetley Mills was in a class of it's own, the attention to detail and atmosphere are well worth a good study. I have been honored to have made his acquaintance through these pages.

When emigrating  to the States one of the colonies the only 3 magazines I didn't leave behind featured Tetley Mills and Bardon Road. Dave was and will continue to be my greatest source of inspiration.

My thoughts are with his family  and friends.  

• RMweb Premium

The article on Barden Road in Model Rail April 2003 was the spur to inspire me back into railway modelling after a long hiatus. 

Dave's incredible modelling skills and wonderful attitude to the hobby were unique and inspirational.

We need more like him; he will be sorely missed.

David

• RMweb Gold

It might almost be too early to say this but I think it would be a fitting tribute if some of Dave's work could be preserved and presented as a true example of inspirational modelling in the new museum at Ashford should that project really get going.

Or in view of his subject matter I wonder if the KWVR or East Lancs would have some space for a display

• RMweb Premium

It has been suggested that a collection be made at RMweb Live for a cancer charity in memory of Dave. I and quite a few others will not be able to attend RMweb Live for various reasons so could donations be made through RMweb itself? If not through the website itself perhaps through a link to the charities themselves.  

I would like to add my condolences to Dave's family. I did enjoy reading his posts and seeing the results of his amazing modelling skills.

It's a timely reminder that we are not here forever and we should make the most of every day. Thankfully there are hundreds of photos and videos of Tetleys Mills 1,2 and 3 to remind us of what can be achieved when you try.

Thank you for taking the time to share your passion with us Dave.

Just catching up on Dave's work today after a couple of weeks away.  So sad, the tears are flowing for such a gentleman and modeller.   And being a Western fan I did so enjoy his comment about GWR branchlines and other such depravity!  Dave's final post made us laugh; his modelling skills made us smile and drove us on to better ourselves.  As with so many other folk here, my thoughts are with his family. 

• RMweb Gold

Dear me.

I have just caught up with all of this.

I find that I am moved to tears reading about the passing of a man whom I never knew, yet felt that we were best friends just because we both liked model trains.

Mr Shakespeare has gone far too soon but leaves behind a wonderful legacy to other modellers who, I am sure, will gain inspiration from his work for years to come.

The image is from Colin Gifford of whose photographs Daves modelling was so evocative.

God Bless

Rob

post-14122-0-81773700-1409084807.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for all of your replies. Dave's wife and family know all about the well deserved compliments that have been paid to him as a person and as a modeller, indeed they were mentioned in the eulogy given by his best friend, and have been a great comfort and consolation to Julie.

At the celebration after the funeral, I happened to be talking to Julie when one of his oldest friends from school days in Yorkshire presented her with a framed photograph. I was offered a copy, which I gladly accepted, as it show the very start of Dave's modelling life. Christmas 1960- he was 10 years old. I thought you might like to see it. Which one is Dave? The clue is in a prominent facial characteristic. I shall say no more, as he was always a bit self conscious about it. :jester:

post-98-0-85202400-1409312010_thumb.jpg

Matters proceed apace regarding memorials and charitable donations. Rather than post the details in two separate places, may I please ask you to look at the Obituaries thread in Modelling Musings for more details?

• RMweb Premium

Just a note to say that there is now a dedicated and pinned thread in layout topics, where I shall be detailing all the items that are to be sold. So, if you would like to have a bit of this wonderful layout, or some of the stock, or even just a small memento, and to contribute to Cancer Research, please have a look there. If we can help Julie by clearing everything - awful thought I know, but it has to be done - and at the same time perhaps contribute to people in the future not being given a death sentence when they get this awful form of cancer, then we shall achieve something very worthwhile.

• RMweb Premium

A thought; The full impact of the demise of Dave's modelling probably won't hit Julie until the last few bits go and the railway room is left completely empty. I wonder whether there are any pieces that she would like to retain - I'm sure that's in hand - or whether there is something we can do to help minimise the impact?

• RMweb Premium

A thought; The full impact of the demise of Dave's modelling probably won't hit Julie until the last few bits go and the railway room is left completely empty. I wonder whether there are any pieces that she would like to retain - I'm sure that's in hand - or whether there is something we can do to help minimise the impact?

Family and friends have already reserved things as mementos Ray, so yes, that is in hand. What we can do when Julie is faced with an empty room I really don't know. She is handling this remarkably well, so I think she will cope. Her concern is that Dave might not be remembered amomg the model railway community. I don't think there is any risk that will happen, but to make sure we shall be setting up at least one annual award to keep his inspiration going.

Very sad news indeed,

Dave was an inspiration both in modelling and in character and Gilbert I'm certain that Julie can rest assured that the modelling community will never forget Dave. Much like many here I didn't know him personally but what I did know of him, he was much more than just a modeller he was mentor a person we could look up to and see that even in the difficult times we can still be upbeat and positive. I believe his character will resound in our hearts and through these forums for many years to come. 

Peace be with Julie and family and God Bless

Jules

Archived