EFE 38 Stock Limited Editions

GoingUnderground

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have a look at the running numbers on the A and D DMs. You may find that the A car has the running number 11012, and the D car is 10012, at least mine are numbered like that. This is in fact wrong as the 10xxx series is for A DM cars and the 11xxx series is for D DM cars.

I have spoken to the LT Museum and they were unaware of the problem. At least one unsold set in the Museum shop had the same problem as mine. I phoned EFE/Gilbow who said that the LT Museum had signed off the models as correct. So I don't know if it is a sign-off error and affects every set or just a production error affecting just some of them.

• 3 years later...

These models were released in a 4 carriage gift set 99931A. Model supplied in individual boxes enclosed in a special card sleeve.
All four models are re-workings of earlier releases 80003, 80103, 80203 & 80303 and were produced for the London Transport Museum.
These models depict the four operational carriages preserved in the Museum's collection working a special enthusiast's excursion on the Metropolitan Line. The fleet numbers for the A & D Driving cars have been transposed on the models.

• RMweb Premium

The livery as represented by the model is that carried by 1938 stock upon introduction and by the heritage unit more recently as it was returned to something akin to its original condition.

The all-red schemes - plural because there were both "tube" and "bus" shades of red the former with an underlined gold-block fleet name and gold stock numbers and the latter with white roundels and stop numbers - were carried for the majority of the 1938 stock's life.

• RMweb Gold

I have started to respray my 1938/59 stock as there are too many errors on the models. The grab rails and door fault lights are the biggest issue!

I am finding the EFE models becoming more tricky to find.

Can you advise what colour you're using for the red pls?

• RMweb Gold

Tks, that's what I've used on my Q stock, except for the Q38 which is meant to be ex-works so I used Datsun Flame Red.

(Obv there's lots of pitfalls with colour, especially old emulsions and then printing processes in colour books, not to mention memory playing tricks.  However...... IMHO train red has a slight orangey tinge for a short while when ex-works, and then takes on a slightly greyish tinge when in service for while - hence Cherry Red plus weathering with a thin wash of grey gives a colour I find acceptable for most stock)

The livery as represented by the model is that carried by 1938 stock upon introduction and by the heritage unit more recently as it was returned to something akin to its original condition.

The all-red schemes - plural because there were both "tube" and "bus" shades of red the former with an underlined gold-block fleet name and gold stock numbers and the latter with white roundels and stop numbers - were carried for the majority of the 1938 stock's life.

So, can I ask when did the cream between the windows change to all red on the original and subsequently the heritage unit? 

I have started to respray my 1938/59 stock as there are too many errors on the models. The grab rails and door fault lights are the biggest issue!

I am finding the EFE models becoming more tricky to find.

Then you've not looked at the LTM shop web site. They had them on sale in the shop in Covent Garden on the day of the S7 special tour last month. Sadly shoplifters had clearly been at work as in one of the sleeves to the 4 car set one of the DMs was missing.

Archived