Class 60 dates to traffic - help!

vac_basher

John, from what I gather 60001 wasn't the first to enter traffic. According to the BR Database website, apparantly 60017 & 60018 were the first to be accepted by BR on 30th Oct. 1990. 60001 didn't enter revenue earning traffic untill 29th August 1991.

I think part of the agreement with Brush was that the locomotives had to go through a 1000 miles test period without any faults and legend has it that the first few locos were a bit problematic, hence possibly why 60001 wasn't accepted for so long.

That link is full of useful information, thanks!

I actually caught 60001 on a test run on Mickleover test track in 1990 sometime but......I can't remember any more details than that, sorry!

If I do come across any notes, I'll pop back here!

Cheers,

John E.

Hello John,

I've got some notes somewhere and some pictures. Will have to dig them out.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

I don't know any dates but can confirm that 60 001 was used for type acceptance tests and trials and these were extended due to initial reliability problems plus, If I recall correctly, considerable time required to get the low speed adhesion system working properly (speed sensor troubles was one things quoted at the time) and I think there was also a contract compliance problem on fuel consumptoion. I've an idea that 001 was involved in tests and trials for a year or so and during that time other locos were simply held waiting acceptance by BR - not an auspicious start for the Class.

Are you aware Mike, if Cl.60 was just "unfortunate" enough to be the first new build after BR introduced rather more stringent acceptance procedures, either as not wanting to suffer the catastrophes of the past (Romanian 56s anyone?!), or as a stricter value for money accounting measure so BR got exactly what the Govt. had paid for?

The C60PG website is quite vocal that virtually everything on a 60 had to be as per the customer's specifications, to their mind, absolving Brush to a certain extent from perceived teething troubles.

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

Are you aware Mike, if Cl.60 was just "unfortunate" enough to be the first new build after BR introduced rather more stringent acceptance procedures, either as not wanting to suffer the catastrophes of the past (Romanian 56s anyone?!), or as a stricter value for money accounting measure so BR got exactly what the Govt. had paid for?

The C60PG website is quite vocal that virtually everything on a 60 had to be as per the customer's specifications, to their mind, absolving Brush to a certain extent from perceived teething troubles.

C6T.

I think it derived more than anything else from Brush making a technical offer and promises which BR accepted but thought would be difficult to deliver. Thus it was seriously tested to make sure it was being delivered, found out that it wasn't, and then was gradually achieved over a period of time and development. The slow gestation was definitely a downright nuisance as we were forever being promised dates in traffic, which in a number of cases would bring increased loads in existing timings, and it simply did not happen - again and again (hence of my not particularly liking or having much faith in the class).

And of course on the Western we saw the Class 59s arrive, be taken off the ship, pass through BR acceptance with flying colours, and then do exactly as promised once loaded trials got commenced; then the rest arrived and were taken out of the box and went straight into traffic. Salutary lesson for British loco builders (such as remained by then) which was largely ignored.

Just a few notes I made in July/August 1989:

Monday 10th July: 60001 left Derby and ran light engine to the Mickleover Test Track. It was going so slowly that I managed to catch up with it in the goods loop at Sunnyhill - on my push bike.

Tuesday 11th July: 60001 inside the inspection shed at Mickleover. Hatches open and staff working on the loco.

Friday 14th July: 60001 undertakes trial runs along the Mickleover Test Track.

Saturday 12th August: At Brush Works, Loughborough. 60002 complete outside the test house (the only complete Cl.60 in the works). In the loco erection building (25 Shop) were the fully painted bodyshells of five locos: 60004, #3, #5, #6 and one unnumbered.

Regards,

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Interesting Mike, I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall at the BR/Brush meetings!

So would I - it was hellish difficult to find out what was going on regarding dates into traffic and we had quite a wait for the fuel consumption and loads data (but both were very high quality when Derby issued, probably some of their best ever for a diesel loco).

So the answer to the question, "Was Cl.60 a competent product on delivery?" is probably, "Depends who you worked for"!

... or what you call 'delivery' :D

Archived