Model Railway Partwork - Your Model Railway Village

John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

Early development version of the Hornby Mk1 which they turned down but the factory have knocked out and sold off cheap?  It certainly seems odd that anyone would develop a Mk1 coach from scratch simply to sell in this way (i.e. to a magazine publisher) which definitely leaves me wondering if it has been ripped-off from someone else's work by some enterprising Chinese manufacturer.

Not deriding it of course as they  represent a fantastic bargain but very odd that they should appear from nowhere and a potential loss to Hornby with their new development although that will be in the market for a long time to come of course.  Has anyone compared them with Lima Mk1s?

Popped into a local newsagent for some birthday cards and a couple of magazines - the guy behind the till alerted me to this part-work. I only bought one as I wanted to see what the coach was like - all I can say is excellent value for money.  Just went back and bought a couple more (last copies).

Aside from the actual coach,

Just opened the magazine, first line, a caption to a pic,

"The train is pulling its carriage into the station! The maroon livery was found on the majority of carriages on the network in the 1960's".

Not the most informative or captions,

Aside from the actual coach,

Just opened the magazine, first line, a caption to a pic,

"The train is pulling its carriage into the station! The maroon livery was found on the majority of carriages on the network in the 1960's".

Not the most informative or captions,

It may not, but don't forget who the target market is. Also further on, page 2 is dedicated to the "Mark 1 passenger corridor carriage", which goes into more detail for the less informed

It may not, but don't forget who the target market is. Also further on, page 2 is dedicated to the "Mark 1 passenger corridor carriage", which goes into more detail for the less informed

true, but really, "the train is pullnig its coach into the station"

i don;t want to know ic too much for I admire the concept (if not the ultimate value for money)

Having read more of it, I appreciate it's target market, but the writing could have been a lot better.

I've just e-mailed the magazine company to see if they'll let me know who manufactured the coach and who will be supplying the items included with future magazines.

Take a look at the buildings as well, the signal box looks rather Dapol (Airfix) like,

Just noticed a little bit of small print, - on its side I may add,

"Not all items shown are included in the collection, some appear in the magazine as projects" a little bit sneaky I feel that is.

Given the offer which mentions Bachman's Jinty, then it appears there is at least some sort of relationship there,

They do have Bachmann style stepped couplings with close coupling mechanism, but the roof isn't ribbed quite as deeply and the bogies clip in rather than screw in Replica style. Maybe they're old Bachmann tooling.?

• RMweb Premium

The first magazine with a coach is good value, I bought two copies today. The coaches will be useful but the full layout is 120 issues and the rest are £8.99 which adds up to a whole lot more than the value of the items that appear to be on offer. Certainly the engine will be an extra and given the rules about paint in the post it will be interesting to see how they get around that one! The magazine is of rather low quality when it comes to the information in it and although the target market may be less demanding but they will also learn very little.

So given it eventually comes out in 4 per month packs, = £36 a month,

IMO, I'd have liked to have seena  month by  month column in a modelling mag and a here's your shopping list for £30, would have been a good one to have done in conjunction with Model Zone,

Archived