Model Railway Partwork - Your Model Railway Village

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

Browsing the WHSmiths reading room this afternoon I came across a new 'partwork' (of the 'free binder with part one' stylee) to build your own model railway. Part one was the obligatory intro price of £1.99 but for that you do get a complete RTR OO Mk 1 coach and a bit of track for it to sit on!

Coach looked Hornby to me, I did not purchase but am intrigued to see where this one is going. Could be one to watch...

• RMweb Premium

Everyone join in the queue - a Google search has found this - YOUR MODEL RAILWAY VILLAGE

http://www.yourmodel....com/index.html

£1.99 for the one with the coach, normal magazine price £7.99. Take out a subscription and get some tools and a mineral wagon. Looks like you get a piece of track with every issue and a few bits for the building kits. As John mentions above it then becomes a very expensive way to build a train set :O

Mike

EDIT - reading the small print you pay £31.96 every 4 weeks for 4 issues that are sent together

Cheers for that, Mike!

Hmmm, 120 issues at £7.99 each - I make that £958 (less your first issue at a fiver off!), £953.

I recognise the Hornby church I'm sure, so how much would the lot cost even if you paid RRP? (which no-one would?)

Doesn't sound much does it?

£7.99 a week - for approximately 2 years, four months!

Ouch!

Now the word's out I can see every Smiths getting 'locusted' today as a mixture of model-bashers, ebay opportunists and those who are quite happy with a Mark 1 wading up to the till with 12 issues of the mag (and grumbling about paying the penny for the carrier bags if they're anything like me) and wiping out stocks. Cue Issue #2 that will sit on the shelves because it doesn't have something glittery and its 'normal buyers' haven't a clue whatever happened to issue 1 and the rest of the series is scuttled.

Prepare for loads of 'Brand New Rare Mark 1 coaches' on ebay next week as it's a free insertion weekend. :O

Modellers 12 - Hachette 0

Andy.Any thoughts of doing something similar for MI3 perhaps ? A free building kit for example :no:

The building kit is old hat - Railway Modeller did one recently, Hornby Magazine do them occasionally, and many moons ago Model Rail did loads.

How about a free Wagon kit - but to be worth the download make it a bogie wagon!! :jester:

How are they going to get the 2x1 and the board in one of those plastic bags?

to be folded up from the magazines and the papier mache made from the recycled magazine.

Instructions on how to make and use papier mache will be in issue 20 and the briquette maker for compressing the 2 x 1 will be on special offer in issue 30.

That looks slightly interesting, I'll be hitting Smiths later. :)

My local WH Smiths didn't have it today and have never heard of it... :scratchhead:

Neither had kingston on Thames, but that isn't to say someone hadn't beaten me to it.

J

I did drop into my WHSmiths today, but they hadn't heard of it either, however it was suggested that I try again on Wednesday, as that is when they get their partworks.

Watch this space!

• RMweb Premium

It was the big branch in Brighton Churchill Square where I saw it. Wouldn't be suprised if the smaller (for which read pokier) branches probably won't carry it or at least not many, WHSmith's mag distribution (and display) policy can be somewhat hap-hazzard even at the best of times!!

Everyone join in the queue - a Google search has found this - YOUR MODEL RAILWAY VILLAGE

http://www.yourmodel....com/index.html

£1.99 for the one with the coach, normal magazine price £7.99. Take out a subscription and get some tools and a mineral wagon. Looks like you get a piece of track with every issue and a few bits for the building kits. As John mentions above it then becomes a very expensive way to build a train set.

EDIT - reading the small print you pay £31.96 every 4 weeks for 4 issues that are sent together

I couldn't see anything on the site to suggest where to buy this. Maybe it's just Smiths or subscription? A quick random trawl around the shops today (OK, I admit it - it was WHS in Walsall plus a couple of the larger hypermarkets) revealed nothing on offer.

As everyone says, it's a nice and cheap way of buying a carriage, and even the contents of issue 2 (at £4.99) look worth a punt, if you need that sort of thing, but once it gets to issue 3 and beyond, at £7.99 a pop, I'm sure that the more knowledgable modellers will rapidly walk away. Probably the best deal to be had would be to subscribe (to get the dubious pleasure of the free gifts...) and then cancel at the earliest opportunity.

Guest baldrick25

Still not in stock at any of the WHS or independants around here - That includes the 'big ones' like Birmingham, Coventry etc..Ah well..

• 4 weeks later...

I found them in my local Asda. i bought 5 of the coach issues as for £1.99 each that can't be complained at (5 coaches and 5 short straights for £10). Also bought Issue 2&3 for the station and track and just purchased Issue 4 at £7.99 for the level crossing, opened it up to find a leaflet saying '' Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, we have had to cease publication of your Model Railway village. Offering a free gift if I send all front covers purchased as proof of purchase. A sort of compensation I suppose. I was hoping to get the points for £7.99 but looks like back to Ebay for those..

Archived