Ben:

I built a Comet Stove R:

P1010001-008_zps8e42a1cc.jpg

My solution for getting the vehicle around curves:

P1010006-001_zps65122573.jpg

The center axle is a 2mm brass tube cut to the appropriate length.  A 1mm steel rod is inserted and held in place by the pinpoint brgs.  You will notice that the center wheel thickness is a bit less than the outer - I filed them to give me more clearance.  This is EM gauge.  Credit to Bill Bedford for the idea.  I regauged it to OO.

I did make an EM test track with what was essentially a regauged Peco small radius turnout, the van traversed that easily.

I have tried Cleminson chassis with success but adding the detail is tricky.

I sold the van to a P4 modeller so it will have seen all three gauges.

Here's the Dapol Stove R after I fitted proper wheels:

P1010059.jpg

[/url]

P1010060.jpg

Same idea really, done before I discovered Bills method.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I built a Comet Stove R...

My solution for getting the vehicle around curves:

P1010006-001_zps65122573.jpg

The center axle is a 2mm brass tube cut to the appropriate length.  A 1mm steel rod is inserted and held in place by the pinpoint brgs.  You will notice that the center wheel thickness is a bit less than the outer - I filed them to give me more clearance.  This is EM gauge.  Credit to Bill Bedford for the idea.  I regauged it to OO.

Here's the Dapol Stove R after I fitted proper wheels:

P1010060.jpg

Same idea really, done before I discovered Bills method.

Hi John,

They both look very nice vehicles! I have a quick question on the technique if I may... While the Dapol example appear to have pivoting outside axles the Comet looks to have them fixed. Is that the case? If so, how did it perform with the fixed axles. I ask because I was about to launch into pivoting axles but will try fixed first if you had success with them. Particularly as I'm working in OO so should have considerably more leeway than you had in EM.

Kind regards, Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 1

Thanks Neil and Alan.  The pictures are out of order, I did the Dapol Stove R first and a few years ago, so my technique was still developing.  When I got it I was struck that things above the solebar were quite good (glaxing excepted), as far as I could tell. Below the solebar was another story.  The underframe was riddled with compromise, not least the 12mm dia wheels which should have been 14mm.  A lot of people complained either to me or in posts that the OOB vehicle wouldn't hold the track.   My fix was to replace the Dapol plastic axle carriers with Comet W irons, using the Dapol plastic axle guards as cosmetic overlays and it is OO.  Yes I left the outer axle carriers free to pivot although I don't know if that was necessary.  Trials on the large club layout were very positive and it ran very well indeed.  I have sold it on but my plan would have been to replace the Dapol underframe with a Comet one.

Alan, I think everything, other than the wheels, on the Dapol model is accurate.

The Comet Stove R was done a lot later.  The axle carriers are, of course Comet and I think I made them tight.  I never did build a EM layout so I was not able to assess its performance other than the ease of travel through the small rad. test turnout.

I am an underframe/brakegear geek and all my wagons and vans feature detailed rigging including safety loops.

I also did the Hornby 6 wheeled Insulated Milk, LMS and GWR Palethorpes vans.

I have yet to see an actual good long wheelbase 6 wheeled RTR van.  Someone amaze me.

HTH

John

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. As it happens, I have just hauled out the Stove from its resting place to finish off, having ground to a halt on it some considerable time ago, but my current foray into six wheelers made me decide to get it running. There was a long topic on its failings at the time of its release, with plenty suggestions as to how to improve it. I bought a 5522 etch for the underframe but have not yet got round to putting it together so for the mo it still has its existing gear. I fixed the end axles as pivoting is just an invitation for derailments and it works well without this. Once it is up and finished I'll post some pictures, along with my ratio bashes.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...