LU Steam Trial

Christopher125

Thanks to the blog of Leon Daniel's, managing director of surface transport at TfL, we have some information (and a video) of the trial carried out last night between Earls Court and Farringdon into running steam underground on the 'inner circle' in preperation for the anniversary next year.

http://leondaniels.blogspot.com/2012/02/return-of-steam-on-underground.html

Chris

Wow, we can only dream but I would liove to see No23 out of the museum and taking part too

David

Very true, but Met No1 is the next best thing. Amazing to think that the last steam hauled passenger train along there was 1905 according to http://www.londonreconnections.com/2012/a-late-night-steam-run-on-the-metropolitan/ the specials next year will be the first in over a century...

Chris

• RMweb Gold

It must be around 50 years since I last saw a steam engine at Baker Street but it was on the line nearer camera in that view and I was on the platform behind the LUL test train (and the engine back then was a 97XX on a Smithfield - Old Oak Common trip). But wouldn't it be great to see steam on the Circle - even more exciting than a heap of A4s I reckon.

And there was me looking at a way to justifying having a Beattie Well tank on Croxley Wiggenhall Depot! I already have the Beattie Well Tank and my Sarah Siddons is nearing completion!

I guess never say never says it all! grin.png

XF

would you like to borrow mine - I'll loan you a Metropolitan Dreadnought as well. :D

Back on topic - this video is pure... awesomeness. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

~ Gary

And the T stock from the Tunbridge Wells lot...

It was 1971 I think the last time I saw steam at Baker Street. As a guard at Parsons Green in that period we would often follow a steam worked ballast train round the west side of the Circle on the first Putney Bridge-Edgware Road service!

I got a few photos of steam at Lillie Bridge, not very good pics, but as good friend ADK "Jock" Young has a better set of pics taken at the same time.

Archived