Hornby Push Pull Set R4534

Jim104

• RMweb Gold

According to Mike King's book, 600 was a Central set all its short life, being noted at TWW in 1963. 610 started on the SE, but was later noted at Exeter, and thus became a WR set from 1/63 when the Regional boundary changed.

Hattons have just notified me that order for R3534 has been processed.

Yep, just have email saying that too (R4534 coach pack). A case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing - I phoned their sales team yesterday and was informed that they didn't expect them until late July.

• RMweb Premium

Yep, just have email saying that too (R4534 coach pack). A case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing - I phoned their sales team yesterday and was informed that they didn't expect them until late July.

Mine's on its way too - and I wanted to add something to the order that's not worth paying postage for on its own....rats.

But to be fair the last email I had from Hattons said expected on or after 22 June. And the Van B arrived a week earlier than Hattons advised too.

EDIT: Just looked at Hattons website and R4534 is still showing on pre-order not in stock. I wonder if this has sold out to pre-orders too...

Edited by brushman47544

I wouldn't take Hattons website too literally atm--they are still having problems. Go to my new posting on R 3096 'William Shakespeare', They e-mailed me at midday stating 'production cancelled'

The info I referred to was not obtained from their website!!

Train Pack R3087 arrived today.

In two words 'Absolutely Superb'.

The coaches, in themselves, are a work of art. The flush glazing to the BCK is the best I've ever seen, also, attention has been paid to featuring the diagonally opposed, single battery boxes. The interiors, on both, feature correctly coloured seating for both 1st. & 2nd. class, with Brown partitions, a must for the SO. The moulded (especially the rivets) and added detail show what finesse Hornby are capable of. Well Done to all involved.

BCK No.S 6693 S + SO No.S 1338 S are correct for Set No.600. M7 30029 carries Shedplate 75F, so all is 'on time' at TWW.

One minor niggle, I'll have to take the tweezers to the headstock steps, mine were slightly bent out of shape.

Regards.

Edited by Ceptic

I also did a Kirk conversion with my own scratchbuilt bits and pieces (like driver's door droplights). I have used the wrong buffers as I wasn't sure whether they used the standard ones or the EMU style heavy-duty versions (I now know it was the latter!). From the plans I used (November 1972 Model Railway Constructor, I think), I got the impression that the inner end buffers were removed since the coaches were semi-permanently kept together and used the Pullman rubbing plates and buckeye couplers. However, the Hornby models have the inner buffers, so can anyone tell me for sure which is correct?

I have a pair of Hornby coaches on their way from Rails of Sheffield so my own conversion will now mostly be relegated to the stock drawers.

post-10539-0-86499500-1339672011.jpgpost-10539-0-22860000-1339672028.jpgJust recieved my 2 car set from Rails, absolutely superb!

Well done Hornby!

Also included in the pack an additional 2 pairs of alternative close couplings.

( The inner ends of the coaches already have close couplings fitted with slimline hook&loops at the outer ends)

A QUERY for those in the know, A whistle is fitted at the driving cab end, how would this have been 'powered' perhaps from a 'connection' with the braking system.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

post-10539-0-86499500-1339672011.jpgpost-10539-0-22860000-1339672028.jpgJust recieved my 2 car set from Rails, absolutely superb!

Well done Hornby!

Also included in the pack an additional 2 pairs of alternative close couplings.

( The inner ends of the coaches already have close couplings fitted with slimline hook&loops at the outer ends)

A QUERY for those in the know, A whistle is fitted at the driving cab end, how would this have been 'powered' perhaps from a 'connection' with the braking system.

IIRC the whistle was worked by compressed air. The breaking system on these coaches was a vacuum one, but the pull-push control system included a compressed air line.

HTH,

Bob.

HI Steve

The whistle was compressed air operated from the control system supply.

Thanks for the info Graham,

I have just been looking at some photos of the Welsh Dragon ( Push Pull Rhyl - Llandudno) which I was a frequent rider when on hols in Llandudno back in the 50s/60s, I note the cab end has a Horn fitted so presume this must have been worked with compressed air, although in all the times I rode that train I cant recollectever hearing it!.

Now then Bachmann how about a LMR Push Pull set from yourselves ( would go nicely with the Ivatt 2MT )

• RMweb Gold

You wait for ages and then two come along together! Picked up my two sets ( one train pack and one coach pack) this morning from Bob at Alton. I understand that the special edition M7 is to be 30005 and not 30029 which is the one in the train pack. Big hole in the wallet but they are absolutely superb. Congratulations to Hornby! Now why didn't they do the VEP to the same standard?

Godfrey

You wait for ages and then two come along together! Picked up my two sets ( one train pack and one coach pack) this morning from Bob at Alton. I understand that the special edition M7 is to be 30005 and not 30029 which is the one in the train pack. Big hole in the wallet but they are absolutely superb. Congratulations to Hornby! Now why didn't they do the VEP to the same standard?

Godfrey

Re the VEP probably due to the fact that the Maunsell coaches were already developed and the VEP is a later development, which was perhaps subject to corner cuttng cost savings ( rather like the Belle)

• Like 2

So where does Hornby's new Unconverted Maunsell ex SR Open Second fit in? Was this one of the coaches prior to conversion and therefore shouldn't be seen together with the Pull Push pack? And how is it different to Hornby's other Maunsell coaches?

So where does Hornby's new Unconverted Maunsell ex SR Open Second fit in? Was this one of the coaches prior to conversion and therefore shouldn't be seen together with the Pull Push pack? And how is it different to Hornby's other Maunsell coaches?

These open thirds were - largely - loose coaches (the Southern and BR(S) generally worked their coaches in fixed, numbered, sets) and not all were converted into pull push sets so they might well have been seen alongside each other, though I think the pull push sets were slightly longer lived.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

As Adam advised the trailer car in the Pull Push sets were converted from dia 2005 open thirds, and only 20 were convered for the pull push sets, and as this coach style was not already in Hornby's portfolio it made sense to create tooling that would give both versions.

These open thirds, as opposed to comparment stock, were indeed generally used as 'loose' strenthening vechiles and were also ofetn paired with resturant / kitchen vehciles to provide dining seating as they also originally had provison for tables.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Graham

I presume that at sometime in the future we might see some of the Diagram 2403 1935/36 Brake Composites from Hornby - I seem to remember that they were the ones the Southern Region used to convert to pull-push sets. Given their skill at producing Maunsell coaches Hornby must do a 2-Bil sometime soon (hope upon hope).

Godfrey

• Like 1