Hornby Push Pull Set R4534

Jim104

Well !

Yet another call from a Liverpudlian box shifter ( really good customer service ) - confirming that Hornby will get SOME more coach sets delivered, but that that PARTICULAR box shifter won't be getting any more.

The Plot thickens! One on eBay for £69.99!

To offer a glimmer of hope, Hornby have announced R4534A will be available in November. This was apparently in the plans for 2013.

Dave

Details on Facebook and Hornby website. "New item added to the 2012 range

R4534A - BR Pull-Push coach pack, Set No. 616

Available November"

• RMweb Premium

To offer a glimmer of hope, Hornby have announced R4534A will be available in November. This was apparently in the plans for 2013.

Dave

Can't say I'm surprised but well done to Hornby for bringing it forward. Though it does make me wondow what has to deferred to provide the earlier production slot...

Dave

Thanks for that.

I probably won't get one as I have one already and another gate set on order from Kernow, but it is good news.

• RMweb Premium

Details on Facebook and Hornby website. "New item added to the 2012 range

R4534A - BR Pull-Push coach pack, Set No. 616

Available November"

I can thank my lucky stars that none of the sets Hornby have released so far, or this new one, have been for ones I'm interested in. Normally I'd be champing at the bit for them but with cash too tight to mention, any delay to the ones I want is good news for me at the moment.

The sets I would like are in the initial allocations for the BR(S) Western Division, which are 608, 609 and 612-615, as far as I can ascertain. Can anyone confirm these for me (my books are all put away pending my home move)?

• RMweb Gold

Ian

I can confirm the following western section allocations for the end of 1959 as being:

and for Mid 1960 as:

603,608,612-15

And for Mid 1961 as being:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian

I can confirm the following western section allocations for the end of 1959 as being:

and for Mid 1960 as:

603,608,612-15

And for Mid 1961 as being:

What was the geographical area of the 'western section' please?

What was the geographical area of the 'western section' please?

Basically, the ex-LSWR lines (Central section being the ex-Brighton lines and Eastern the ex-SECR). In other words, anything coming out of Waterloo towards Bournemouth and Exeter. It gets a little complicated with the WR/SR boundary changes in the '50s and '60s...

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Basically the former L&SWR Phil although there might by then have been one or two minor adjustments in the London area.

But - and I'm sure Graham will add the appropriate detail - the fact that the sets were allocated to whichever Section didn't necessarily mean that they worked all over it but that they were allocated to particular workings somewhere within it (or possibly even working across boundaries between the Sections). I have some 1934 information on Western Section push-pull working (and haven't a clue if it would still be relevant for these sets) and at that time push-pull working of some sort was going on at 6 locations variously between Virginia Water & Weybridge in the east down as far as Plymouth Friary and Lymington in the west

Guest Belgian

Conflicting details are given on the Southern Railway Modelling web site where 608 to 615 are given as Western section sets.

Allocations changed each year. See Graham 'Muz' posts above.

JE

• RMweb Gold

Allocations changed each year. See Graham 'Muz' posts above.

JE

They certainly did. In Mike King's excellent book 'Southern Pull-Push Stock on page 147 there are two photographs of Set 616. The first was taken at Seaton Junction on 19 April 1963 and the second at Wareham on 18 September 1964 by which time it was being used as a conventional hauled stock after the withdrawal of the M7s. He also states that 616 was one of the very few sets to receive the yellow first class cantrail marking. It will be interesting to see whether Hornby produce it in that livery.

Godfrey

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have in front of me 'Maunsell's SR Steam Passenger Stock 1923-1939' by David Gould, and as an addendum to Muz's post I offer the following info taken from this book:

600-609 into service by Nov 1959

610-619 by June 1960

Sept 1960 allocation:

London Central District 600-2/4-7/16-9

Western Section 603/8/12-15

South Eastern Division 609-11

By Sept 1961

611 to Western , 614 to South Eastern.

Withdrawals

1963 600/1/2/5/7

May 1964 611/2

By June 1964 all surviving sets were on the Western section (plus 3 loose p/p fitted open seconds 1331/42/3)

Set 618/9 disbanded in 1963, compo brakes from these sets worked as loose coaches on Hayling Island branch till closure.

The last sets, 604/6/9/13/15/17 were withdrawn in Nov. 1964

• Like 1

More photographic referances to be found in :-

Mike King's 'Illustrated History of Southern Coaches'.

P116 - Sets 616 & 613 at Wareham, on the same day, also in Sept '64.

Michael Welch's 'Southern Coaches in Colour'.

Set 610 on a Railway Enthusiasts Club tour, at Sharnal Street (All Hallows branch), Kent, Sept.24th. 1960. Caption states that this set was based at Yeovil, for a time.

Set 601 at Groombridge, Sussex, Nov. 11, 1961. Based at TWW.

Set 613(Horns & Yellow stripe)+ P/P fitted SO, between Brockenhurst & Lymington Junc. 1964.

Michael Harris's 'Southern Push-Pull Trains' chapter in 'Steam Days', Feb 2000.

Set 610 at Westerham, Kent, May 27, 1961.

Set 609 + P/P fitted SO, near Lymington Junc., July 27, 1963.

Ivo Peters' 'Southern Steam Album'

Set 604 at Bournemouth, April 1964.

C. Hayward's drawings & scratch build article in MRC Nov. 1972.

Set 608 at Yeovil Junc. 1961.

There are, of course, numberous photos of these sets 'in action', but, in most cases, it's the loco that hogs the limelight, the set number being seldom shown. If I find any more, I'll add them to the list above.

Regards.

• Like 1

I didn't order on of the eailer sets casue I never know if I have enough money at the time. But since this sold out, I now preordered R4534A from Kernow, and I have to live in hope I have the cash when I get charged for it!!!!