• RMweb Gold

I thought it was about time the forthcoming Murphy Models 071s got their own thread, rather than some comments in the existing 201 topic.

Anyway, Model Rail 167 April 2012 features some pre-production shots of the 071s, which are planned for release at the Model Railway Society of Ireland's exhibition in Dublin on Hallowe'en this year.

Paddy Murphy plans on DOING CIE, IR, IE and NIR variants,with detail variations such as LED marker lights to cover these locomotives throughout their lives. Spec includes LED lights, 12 wheel drive, 21 pin DCC socket and sound ready.

It states in the Model Rail report that these will be made by Bachmann. However, a source close to Paddy Murphy has dismissed this and told me that it will be a similar situation to the 201s.

If I hear any more news I'll share, and I look forward to other people's input and thoughts on probably my favourite locomotive of all time!

I'm looking forward to this model, I've fond memories of a ride behind the doyen of the class, 071, between Nenagh and Dublin whilst on holiday in Ireland some years back.

I wonder if Murphys might be persuaded to release another batch of IR/IE liveried 141/181s alongside the 071s? Also, it would be nice if the NIR 111s could be matched with a matching rake of NIR Mk2b coaches, which apart from the toy-like Lima models have never been released in 4mm scale.

The pre-production shots in Model Rail are certainly mouth-watering (and possibly wallet-emptying too!). I just wonder whether Paddy has decided on numbers and livery variants yet?

There are more than you might imagine viz:-

1.CIE Super Train

.IR branded no white stripes

2.IR branded, white stripes, no dayglo panels

3.IR branded, white stripes, red/orange dayglo panels

4.IE branded with small bodyside logo

5.IE branded with large bodyside logo and original light clusters

6.IE branded with large bodyside logo and new style light clusters

7.IE silver/black/yellow

and that's just the 071s

As to loco numbers, I'd vote for 079 in livery 2 (or 077 at a push), 072 in livery 4, either 076 or 078 in livery 5 and 086 in livery 6. As a cheap alternative, how about an un-powered 083? :laugh:

My only complaint about the 141/181 series was the lack of a model in IE livery with the original light clusters. I just hope this isn't the case for the 071!

Best wishes

Kevin

Guest CPRAIL3000

I think you will find that 112 in the IE loan period livery is a sure bet as it will be a good seller to modellers of IE or NIR. This will be one of the first released.

Did an 071 ever run in that livery though, would like to see evidence of it

My apologies, it seems not (never assume, they say...). A bit of research has revealed that 078 was almost certainly the first "Big GM" to feature the white stripes, at least as early as April 1987. Since Irish Rail has only been a separate organization (still under CIE, of course) since 2nd February of the same year, no loco would have carried the "point" logo before that time. There were 071s still running around with CIE "broken wheel" logos in 1988 but probably not much later than that. I guess that being "top link" locos which regularly hauled the matching aircon stock, they were given priority for white stripes (as were, ironically, the "A" class locos) whilst the "babies" were painted up as and when. As I recall, 168 and 190 (still retaining "SA" after the loco numbers) were the last two locos to still run without stripes in 1994/5.

One thing I do remember most fondly is the last four class 071s to run without "dayglo" panels on the front, which were 077, 079, 084 and 085. These hung around for several years, and I once saw all four on Connolly shed together. I think the last one other than this quartet was 088, which was also the last of the class to receive the uprated 645-E3C engine. The loco emerged from Inchicore in the summer of 1995 without a re-paint, and with some bodyside panels upside-down, still no dayglo panels (and I think one or two in primer grey) and most unusually with no numbers on the cab front! Will Paddy be including this livery variant, I wonder?

Best wishes

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This was posted by Andy Y in the Bachmann section, but I think it's well worth repeating here to avoid any confusion.

From Dennis Lovett at Bachmann Europe

I am circulating this email to everyone as there is some confusion over Murphy Models locomotives and rolling stock being described as Bachmann by some of the press and by retailers.

Whilst Bachmann did produce some of the initial models for our good friend Paddy Murphy of Murphy Models (Class 141/171 and Mark 2 coaches) under the Bachmann brand - the latest models are not Bachmann products.

The Class 071 is being produced for Murphy Models by Kader Holdings, Murphy being an OEM (original equipment manufacturing) customer of Kader Holdings and dealing with the factory directly.

The Class 201 is neither a Kader or a Bachmann product.

Needless to say we get customer enquiries which should be directed to Murphy Models via their website at www.murphymodels.com

I hope this will clarify matters.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

If it has the pre fitted speaker then they will not sell just like the 201s. €170 for a loco? Wake up.. how many people actually use DCC? Not many according to the recent poll! Hows the sales of the class 76s going? Not good i bet!

I doubt a pre fitted speaker is the reason why the 201s are 'not selling' as you put it and will deter people from 071s. Some of the 201 liveries and numbers are sold out.

As for the price, they're models for a niche market, limited run. Seen the prices for continental models recently? And you do not need DCC to use sound fitted models.

Why are you guessing about sales of the class 76 models?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Isn't she just? Fantastic attention to detail from when she was on loan to IE. I have a rake of cravens ready to go behind her to replicate the one journey I had behind her.

This is the factory finished product, and should arrive at the end of October. Start saving!

Isn't she just? Fantastic attention to detail from when she was on loan to IE. I have a rake of cravens ready to go behind her to replicate the one journey I had behind her.

This is the factory finished product, and should arrive at the end of October. Start saving!

Been saving since I bought a River Blackwater.

Still waiting for some alternate number Mk2 SOs though...

The 071/111 locos are a great follow on from the excellent 141s.Once again,the variants of liveries and length of service of the locomotives give them an appeal to modellers from many different era's.Particularly looking forward to the release of the original 071 in CIE livery.

• RMweb Gold

The 071/111 locos are a great follow on from the excellent 141s.Once again,the variants of liveries and length of service of the locomotives give them an appeal to modellers from many different era's.Particularly looking forward to the release of the original 071 in CIE livery.

What no longer sir, pics of the Supertrains 071 http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/645-071-Supertrain-pictures

• RMweb Gold

Been saving since I bought a River Blackwater.

Still waiting for some alternate number Mk2 SOs though...

I've been told that the Mark IIs are finally on the way too, arriving around the time of the 071s. When I find out more I'll post it up here.

What no longer sir, pics of the Supertrains 071 http://irishrailwaym...rtrain-pictures

Thanks for the link to the photo of 071-071 !!.That is one stunning looking model and dare I say it,as an NIR modeller,the CIE orange and black is still the best livery and most suited one for these loco's.The standard of the Irish models in recent years from Murphy's has been nothing short of superb.

• RMweb Gold

An update on 071 Class Number Changes and delivery dates. Please note the following changes:-

MM0071 becomes MM0088 (CIE Supertrain livery)

MM0072 becomes MM0071 (IE Blk/Sil livery)

The first 3 items due are CIE MM0088, IE Freight MM0082 & NIR MM0112. Late Oct.

The second 3 items are IE MM0077, IE MM0085(weathered), IE Freight MM0071. Early Dec.

The third tranche due Jan/Feb 2013, CIE MM0086sa, IR MM0080, IE(small logo) MM0078, IR MM0073(weathered).

Archived