Air Braked 'ODA' Pipe Wagons

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

I'm absolutely certain that no ODAs were ever painted in blue for Project Mercury. There was one, 113044 I think from memory, which was painted all over yellow for some strange reason.

That would be this one:

http://www.garethbayer.co.uk/wotw/displayimage.php?album=371&pos=4

It has some writing on the side which says 'something' TRAIN - NOT TO BE REMOVED but try as I might I cannot make out what the 'something' says!!

Looks like 300FT but no idea why, what it means.

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul,

CWR sections seems to come in either 300' or 600' lengths according to http://www.railway-technical.com/lex15.shtml

"Continuously Welded Rail

A number of lengths of rail welded together to stretches of 300m or longer in a factory or permanent way yard and then welded together in a seamless manner. Expansion joints are fitted to prevent buckling."

I wonder if it was something to do with a CWR train ?? as a materials carrier?

Just a thought

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The EWS lettering comes from Fox Transfers pack F4979/1 but is not available anymore as Fox have decided it is not economical renewing the licence to make EWS transfers anymore. I got my pack from Howes of Oxford who still have some in stock as of a couple of weeks ago.

The data panels are the very old Replica Railways rub on type with a bit of a mix and match for the numbers and ODA letters. These have not been made for many years and I am down to my last few (the packets must be all of twenty years old now!) but at Ally Pally at the weekend on the Replica stand there was a new printing of Vxx coded wagon panels so maybe they may do others again.

I do need to re-do the numbers on my EWS ODA as they are a bit big and I have acquired some Replica ‘N’ gauge white coach numbers which are the right size now.

Fox also do wagon panels and lettering but each individual letter and number has to be added one at a time which is more than a complete pain in the landing gear.

The overhead flashes are as per available from most of the transfer manufacturers.

I have just completed a pair in Railfreight red/grey also with the modified suspension:

post-6910-0-99813300-1332800582_thumb.jpg

For these like the EWS one I used the extra fret of suspension parts that came with my VEA Vanwide kits (a mistake in packing? Whatever I am grateful!) only slight problem is that I forgot to install the brakes.... Sure no one will notice will they?

My first thought on reading 300' was that it was something to do with one of the old single bolster 300' CWR trains.

Perhaps for the transportation of the unloading cables, shakles and handbags.

These also came in 600' and 720' lengths, the 300' trains being a later developement to allow more flexability for delivering rail to smaller sites. In that if you divide a 600' train into two 300' trains you get a train that can be in two places at once.

• 3 years later...

I like them :)

The EWS lettering comes from Fox Transfers pack F4979/1 but is not available anymore as Fox have decided it is not economical renewing the licence to make EWS transfers anymore. I got my pack from Howes of Oxford who still have some in stock as of a couple of weeks ago.

The data panels are the very old Replica Railways rub on type with a bit of a mix and match for the numbers and ODA letters. These have not been made for many years and I am down to my last few (the packets must be all of twenty years old now!) but at Ally Pally at the weekend on the Replica stand there was a new printing of Vxx coded wagon panels so maybe they may do others again.

I do need to re-do the numbers on my EWS ODA as they are a bit big and I have acquired some Replica ‘N’ gauge white coach numbers which are the right size now.

Fox also do wagon panels and lettering but each individual letter and number has to be added one at a time which is more than a complete pain in the landing gear.

The overhead flashes are as per available from most of the transfer manufacturers.

I have just completed a pair in Railfreight red/grey also with the modified suspension:

attachicon.gifODA Wagons Railfreight.jpg

For these like the EWS one I used the extra fret of suspension parts that came with my VEA Vanwide kits (a mistake in packing? Whatever I am grateful!) only slight problem is that I forgot to install the brakes.... Sure no one will notice will they?

• 11 months later...

Found this picture of a de-badged Satlink version  in my collection taken during an official visit to Bescot Yard , some time around 1992 / 93 I think.

post-14887-0-03138000-1460276872.jpg

There were also some Project Mercury ZDWs there too, similar to that in Paul's link above

Oh and yes, wagons kits are addictive and I've just got hooked on something new having read this topic.

Andy

• 1 year later...

Archived