Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Apropos of nothing current, I have just come across several pages of photos of the building of Tucking Mill Viaduct, in 'Somerset & Avon Railways in Old Photographs collected by Kevin Robertson' (Alan Sutton Publishing) I expect they have come to your notice - but just in case...........

Many thanks  Phil, I am aware that book, fascinating photos but well worth highlighting for those who've not seen it.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I found this very useful picture on line of the shed interior. The office doors are closer to the corner than my guesstimate  and should be four paneled rather than vertical planking but I'll live with that.

The circular section smoke troughs/vents are replacements dating from sometime in the 1940s. The originals were square section and wooden according to photographs.

The walls  are, (or were!),  a light colour, I assume limewashed but judging by the soot build up on the stonework I suspect they weren't repainted very often - if at all.

The flooring looks to be block but I'm not convinced there is enough definition visible to worry about in 2mm. There appears to be some lift out planks just in front of the wagon along with the rail. Any thoughts on why and are they related to the round topped cabinet next to them?

The hoses are for boiler washouts which the shed was predominantly used in later years. I don't intend to go mad with the interior detail but would like to present a 'busy' scene when peering in. I have a non- running loco lined up to be permanently fixed where the wagon is in the photo which will have its smokebox door open.

Jerry

4821685773_4b0fd858e6_b.jpg.4bd8cea2db7e93279fb7834f961ed6a4.jpg 

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Weighing machine, perhaps?

Regards

Ian

1 hour ago, Kier Hardy said:

That seems quite likely, as it's located next to the section of track which has separate lengths of rail. Suitable for weighing individual axle loads.

Thanks gents, that makes perfect sense and explains the separate bits of rail.

Jerry

40 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Thanks gents, that makes perfect sense and explains the separate bits of rail.

Jerry

Jerry,

Yep agree with the previous responses in that it'll be a set of scales for weighing individual axles and setting springs.

Interesting piccy as you say, I've seen quite a few from inside Bath shed, but none with that much visible space, there's usually an engine or two in the way! :-) The smoke hood's in the image are the same as those at Barrow Road shed for which Morgan has done a 3D model and printed via Shapeways I think, but not of use to you anyway. I'd imagine the earlier hoods were similar to those at Radstock then.

Interesting that both Bath and Radstock shed walls appear to have been white washed entirely, although there does appear to be remnants of a darker lower waist band in the image above, but very faint.

Your model's looking very good though! I'm still playing with mock up's of Radstock Shed whereas your crack on and build once approach seems far more productive! :-)

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Kempenfelt said:

Your model's looking very good though! I'm still playing with mock up's of Radstock Shed whereas your crack on and build once approach seems far more productive! :-)

At this rate, I would put money on Jerry finishing his layout before you even get started Paul. Come on, stop procrastinating!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, queensquare said:

I found this very useful picture on line of the shed interior. The office doors are closer to the corner than my guesstimate  and should be four paneled rather than vertical planking but I'll live with that.

The circular section smoke troughs/vents are replacements dating from sometime in the 1940s. The originals were square section and wooden according to photographs.

The walls  are, (or were!),  a light colour, I assume limewashed but judging by the soot build up on the stonework I suspect they weren't repainted very often - if at all.

The flooring looks to be block but I'm not convinced there is enough definition visible to worry about in 2mm. There appears to be some lift out planks just in front of the wagon along with the rail. Any thoughts on why and are they related to the round topped cabinet next to them?

The hoses are for boiler washouts which the shed was predominantly used in later years. I don't intend to go mad with the interior detail but would like to present a 'busy' scene when peering in. I have a non- running loco lined up to be permanently fixed where the wagon is in the photo which will have its smokebox door open.

Jerry

4821685773_4b0fd858e6_b.jpg.4bd8cea2db7e93279fb7834f961ed6a4.jpg 

Apart from wheighbridge, I seem to recall some sheds had small wheeldrops. Not for removing wheels, but for relieving the weight off springs etc

when the old suspension needed tuning.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Kempenfelt said:

Jerry,

Yep agree with the previous responses in that it'll be a set of scales for weighing individual axles and setting springs.

Interesting piccy as you say, I've seen quite a few from inside Bath shed, but none with that much visible space, there's usually an engine or two in the way! :-) The smoke hood's in the image are the same as those at Barrow Road shed for which Morgan has done a 3D model and printed via Shapeways I think, but not of use to you anyway. I'd imagine the earlier hoods were similar to those at Radstock then.

Interesting that both Bath and Radstock shed walls appear to have been white washed entirely, although there does appear to be remnants of a darker lower waist band in the image above, but very faint.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your kind comments. I agree, there are many similarities between Bath Midland shed and Radstock. Ive attached a picture of the interior of the latter during its short stint as a preservation center in the early 70s.

image2.PNG.5be1ce1f247a4758e5cdb10761d7afff.PNG

Its jumping ahead a bit but I will probably do to smoke hoods in much the same way as I did them on John G's Wadebridge shed, pictured below.

SDC12061.JPG.843e0861ac9cea5becd7b04638bd07c9.JPG

SDC12064.JPG.26cfc8ba685d350fabb552471c7ee1ab.JPG

As for finishing the layout, that's still an awfully long way off but I am a believer in cracking on rather than constant experimenting and 'mocking up'! :)

Jerry

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

I suppose if it had windows, it would be a clerestory,  but as it hasn’t it could be anyone’s guess.  I suspect experts will enlighten us...

Tim

Agreed Tim though I did find this definition.

In architecture, a clerestory (/ˈklɪərstɔːri/ KLEER-stor-ee; lit. clear storey, also clearstory, clearstorey, or overstorey) is a high section of wall that contains windows above eye level. The purpose is to admit light, fresh air, or both.

My roof extension admits neither light or fresh air as the vents are represented with a ship-lap type of plasticard which, with a thin, dark wash of paint to settle in the planking represents vents quite well.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

I suppose if it had windows, it would be a clerestory,  but as it hasn’t it could be anyone’s guess.  I suspect experts will enlighten us...

Tim

Calling  John BS. Your expert knowledge is required!

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Agree 1

Kylestrome and others,

My hunch is that the "clerestory" is a raised ventilation section, probably (originally) with louvres in the sides. These may have been boarded over at a later date. 

BTW, I pronounce the word as "clear-story".

John 

The former loco shed alongside the East Coast Main Line at Darlington has a similar type (although the roof is hipped at the ends rather than having gable walls).

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101392356-former-gner-engine-shed-stephenson-ward#.XGrf2aL7SUk

The listing citation describes it as having "a raised louvered ventilator along the apex".

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

further research has thrown up this 

you are correct in assuming the "small roof" running along the ridge of the main roof was for ventilation purposes. Such roof vents have had several appellations, usually dependent upon the railway that constructed them: clerestory, ridge vent, central vent etc., come to mind.

http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/X626.htm

Nick

Some very nice work there Jerry, especially at this scale.

One question, is this modelling possible on your knee due to it being 2mm or have you just got bigger knees than the rest of us ? :mocking_mini: 

G

• Funny 5