Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Premium

These are indeed Strange Days but you’ll just have to Take It As It Comes. Even though it’s a straight shed you might get the Roundhouse Blues. People Are Strange so it’s Five To One they’ll start calling you the Back Door Man. Remember that when you hang those doors they’re Not To Touch The Earth.

David

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 04/02/2019 at 10:06, queensquare said:

These are the sort of scenes I want to be able to recreate, all very much in my broadly 1920s time period. The 0-6-0 and 2-4-0 were common, everyday locos at Bath, the Spinner would have been a much more occasional visitor and regarded as a good cop by the local spotters. The local passenger headcode suggests its on a filling in turn with a local from Bristol (that's the duty my part built Spinner will have), but why it needs quite so much coal is anybody's guess - it won't be making a trip south over the Mendips!

Spinner_at_Bath_004.jpg.3d3b58f02ac53f0e01b9301c5c9d9ffd.jpg

No. 670 - old No. 115 herself - was a Nottingham engine up to 1914 but by 1921 was living in retirement at Bristol [per Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 3].

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

No. 670 - old No. 115 herself - was a Nottingham engine up to 1914 but by 1921 was living in retirement at Bristol [per Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 3].

Indeed it was, but according to the Reverend Alan Newman, who was a young spotter at Bath in this period and who I was lucky enough to get to know during the last few years of his life, they were not common at Bath. It seems the Spinners, and the large wheeled 800 class 2-4-0s ( I have one of these as well!) that survived into the 1920s and early 30s at Bristol and Saltley were predominantly used as pilots on the difficult Bristol, Gloucester, Birmingham services.

My suspicion is that No. 670 was lined up for this sort of duty before being pinched for a trip to Bath and back - hence the mountainous coal load. Pure supposition on my part but you never know.

The mainstays of the Bristol, Bath trains in the 1920s and 30s were the smaller wheeled 2-4-0s and the Johnson 0-4-4 tanks. I have a couple of Johnson tanks but, to date, none of the 2-4-0s

img083.jpg.1efbb32bc63c55d747535bbb2fa602a1.jpg

Jerry

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Summerson again: 155 didn't get her G6 boiler until late 1924. A long-term Bristol resident but ended her days as "Engineer South Wales" at Abergavenny, supplanting some equally ancient LNWR 2-4-0.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, queensquare said:

As usual in life, its the glamorous models that get all the attention whilst the supporting cast are left unnoticed

But that's one of the secrets of producing a good layout Jerry, they may not get immediate attention but are taken in by the eye, sometimes unwittingly.

G

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/02/2019 at 15:04, Kylestrome said:

These are indeed Strange Days but you’ll just have to Take It As It Comes. Even though it’s a straight shed you might get the Roundhouse Blues. People Are Strange so it’s Five To One they’ll start calling you the Back Door Man. Remember that when you hang those doors they’re Not To Touch The Earth.

David

I went into my local record shop the other day and asked "what have you got by the doors?". The manager said "two fire extinguishers and a hatstand".

• Funny 7

38 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

I went into my local record shop the other day and asked "what have you got by the doors?". The manager said "two fire extinguishers and a hatstand".

If you said that in a gathering up here, the response would be 'Pick a windae!  (yer leavin')'  .:mellow:

jim

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

10 hours ago, queensquare said:

With the shed almost finished (principally downpipes and flashing to go) I rather enjoyed sitting back with slumbering animals, a little whiskey and Match of the Day. Marvellous!

jerry

Whiskey? Scotch whisky, surely.

And Match of the Day? Words fail me, I had thought you such a sensible person.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Whiskey? Scotch whisky, surely.

And Match of the Day? Words fail me, I had thought you such a sensible person.

No its Buhmills, whiskey, the last of my Christmas stash, I'm very fond of a drop of Irish. I have my favourite cheap, but very drinkable whisky in the cupboard, Queen Margot from Lidl which I notice won an award recently.

Yes I still enjoy my football even though my waistline reminds me it's over twenty years since I stopped playing!

Jerry

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, queensquare said:

No its Buhmills, whiskey, the last of my Christmas stash, I'm very fond of a drop of Irish. I have my favourite cheap, but very drinkable whisky in the cupboard, Queen Margot from Lidl which I notice won an award recently.

Yes I still enjoy my football even though my waistline reminds me it's over twenty years since I stopped playing!

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I used to enjoy Bushmills Green Label, but now I tend to go for a Speyside single malt or Adnams Spirit of Broadside. I do find a good Cognac or Armagnac  rather a distraction.

I never played football after Infants School, going to a Grammar that played  rugby (because it was in Rugby!). I don't follow football at all, having lived in digs (when I left school and joined Ford Motor Company) where the conversation revolved around Tottenham Hotspur. That was enough to put me off for life.

Jol

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, queensquare said:

Are you a 'Gashead'>?....... or maybe I've just insulted you!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

Are you a 'Gashead'>?....... or maybe I've just insulted you!

Hi John, feels like Groundhog Day, sure you've asked me before. Im a Man Utd fan thanks to the influence of a much older brother in law at an impressionable age (and George Best!) but as kids we used to go and watch Swindon and the Gas regularly - never City! My favourites were Bannister and Warboys  at Rovers, Smash and Grab who famously scored seven between them in an 8-2 thrashing of Brian Cloughs Brighton.

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, queensquare said:

Im a Man Utd fan thanks to the influence of a much older brother in law at an impressionable age (and George Best!) 

That explains the whiskey then. Start Match of the Day with the strong stuff and until Ole's transformation you'd have been slumbering gently before the Utd game was featured!  It's great that Utd are fun to watch again. 

Simon

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A little parcel arrived today from Steve 'Atso' with the 3D printed water tank,  he has done a fantastic job, many thanks Steve. I popped the tank onto the base and, although it looked good, something wasn't right. Steve's  tank is spot on so the problem had to be with the base. Close comparison with the available photos suggested it was too fat in both width and depth and not tall enough. The  stone base was on  a lower level to the shed (the same level as the S&D shed) and hence quite tall - the door in the base is at shed level, access being by a short footbridge.

I dithered for a while, debating whether I could live with it but, in the end, got the razor saw out and took it apart taking a couple of mm off the width and depth and adding 5mm to the height before putting the bits back together. Plenty of MEK in the joints till the plastic oozed out acted as a filler so that hopefully the evidence of the drastic surgery is lost.

20190301_215653.jpg.195bb65d333880881b0f8168fcca7f2e.jpg

20190301_215421.jpg.529fa73163ed7476688ffc193ed898c6.jpg

20190301_215458.jpg.f2703444e528954f97d8719bf39d3613.jpg

Jerry

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2