Bath Queen Square

queensquare

Sculptamold is simply a plaster and paper fiber mix. I make my own using supplies from my local diy store. A large bag of plaster of paris and a small bale of paper fiber (it's sold as insulation) lasts me years and works out about a tenth of the cost of Sculptamold. I live in the US but I'm sure you will find similar products available in the UK.

David

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

I'll put in another plug for Polycell light weight filler as the top surface.   Its very light, and it remains flexible when set, so doesn't crack like a lot of plaster based fillers.  Takes water based paints well.  

- Nigel

I'd agree, or one of the own brand equivalents. I managed to source one that was light grey when building Brafferton, so there was no danger of ugly white showing through. I painted it all with a very thin acrylic wash of browns and blacks. As Nigel says, it is very light and flexible. It's also fairly easy to plant fences, trees etc, unlike some fillers.

I use thinned down DAS for the top covering, with a little PVA mixed in and coloured to suit with powder or artist's acrylic paints.  Light and flexible and easily repaired if it get damaged.  It will also soften again when wetted, so easy to blend a new bit into an existing area, although this probably means that it's not a good idea for a layout in a damp environment!

Jim

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Yorkshire Square said:

I'd agree, or one of the own brand equivalents. I managed to source one that was light grey when building Brafferton, so there was no danger of ugly white showing through. I painted it all with a very thin acrylic wash of browns and blacks. As Nigel says, it is very light and flexible. It's also fairly easy to plant fences, trees etc, unlike some fillers.

Just mix in some brown emulsion when preparing a batch (tester pot goes a long way) never any chance of white or grey showing then.

• RMweb Gold
On 29/01/2020 at 21:03, queensquare said:

Well I have to say I'm sold on 'sculptamold', it's really easy to use. I've finished the land form around the rock cutting south of the viaduct and given the lot a coat of watery brown paint. Once  I've painted and ballasted the track I can start ground cover, trees, hedges etc. I'm looking forward to this as progress is rapid and the transformation spectacular but that will have to wait until after the weekend at the earliest. I'm currently suffering with a snotty cold that some kind sole gave me at theSouthampton show and I'm at Yate this weekend.

20200129_164702.jpg.99d2b976994b5543494b87bca9b37bba.jpg20200129_164454.jpg.29861bc772cadd96af428fae8aa63ba9.jpg

My rock cutting south of the viaduct isn't as spectacular as the prototype but does serve to conceal the point where the line doubles, a good mile or more earlier than it should. Both the cutting and viaduct were modified ready for double track in the late nineteenth century but it was never extended beyond Midford due to the cost of doubling the tunnels.

Jerry

IMG_2438.PNG.0009f1c98e1a9f52226ae4ec470fe22c.PNG

Just delightful Jerry.

I'm glad that you're sold on 'Sculptamold'. I will always be using it on all future (and current!) projects.

• Agree 1

My rock cutting south of the viaduct isn't as spectacular as the prototype but does serve to conceal the point where the line doubles, a good mile or more earlier than it should. Both the cutting and viaduct were modified ready for double track in the late nineteenth century but it was never extended beyond Midford due to the cost of doubling the tunnels.

I think I've seen that photo before but I'd never spotted the temporary narrow gauge track. Not sure what gauge that might be but it looks really flimsy - maybe 15 inch gauge?

• RMweb Gold

Well I have to say I'm sold on 'sculptamold', it's really easy to use. I've finished the land form around the rock cutting south of the viaduct and given the lot a coat of watery brown paint. Once  I've painted and ballasted the track I can start ground cover, trees, hedges etc. I'm looking forward to this as progress is rapid and the transformation spectacular but that will have to wait until after the weekend at the earliest. I'm currently suffering with a snotty cold that some kind sole gave me at theSouthampton show and I'm at Yate this weekend.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Superb effect, and I echo the comments of an earlier poster about how a bit of landscaping really changes the scene.  Not come across this 'sculptamold' before - any idea what it is like weight wise?  Does it add significantly like plaster, or is it a lightweight end result?

Rich

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Jerry,

Superb effect, and I echo the comments of an earlier poster about how a bit of landscaping really changes the scene.  Not come across this 'sculptamold' before - any idea what it is like weight wise?  Does it add significantly like plaster, or is it a lightweight end result?

Rich

It's ultra light, doesn't crack and you can even hit it with a hammer (if Celotex off-cuts or similar are used as a base) and all that you will get is a hole!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Jerry,

Rich

Thanks Rich, as John says above it's very light and resistant to cracking even when spread fairly thin as here on a contoured Celotex base. These two properties were important on the Combe Down 'lid' as it will need to be lifted on and off fairly regularly.

Next  job is to find the centre of the lid, balance wise, so I can fit a wire lifting ring  (hidden from the front by undergrowth) which I can use to literally 'fish' it off - well that's the plan!

Jerry 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Bit more progress this evening, I've primed the track ready for painting and ballasting. 

Hot tip, I would have been much better off doing things the other way round - finishing the track before doing the landscaping. Masking was a pain and I suspect ballasting, particularly by the tunnel mouth and through the cutting will be much more awkward than it needed to be. 

Oh well, too late now!

Jerry

20200202_163954.jpg.bc53e3151857c46e2f68e6cd95deb4f7.jpg

20200202_162815.jpg.ec8294d277e60b2415a5403d11bc3ef3.jpg

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, queensquare said:

Hot tip, I would have been much better off doing things the other way round - finishing the track before doing the landscaping. Masking was a pain and I suspect ballasting, particularly by the tunnel mouth and through the cutting will be much more awkward than it needed to be. 

Indeed! I learnt the hard way with Balcombe.:rolleyes: 

8 hours ago, queensquare said:

Storm Ciara meant it was a little breezy outside today but I did manage to progress the ballasting a bit. As predicted, it was awkward thanks to my having done the landscaping first but I'm fairly happy with the results so far.

The ballast, cinder path and grass verge on the prototype were incredibly neat and I will try to recreate this as best I can.

Jerry

Hi Jerry, 

It's looking pretty neat so far.

Out of curiosity what type of ballast medium did you use?

Regards

Steve

• Thanks 1