Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 2mmKiwi said:

Hi Jerry, 

It's looking pretty neat so far.

Out of curiosity what type of ballast medium did you use?

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve. Its Woodland scenics fine ballast with the usual 50/50 PVA mix. Ive used masking tape to give a nice, tight shoulder to the ballast.

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, queensquare said:

I'm just about ready to start chucking green stuff at the country section although I don't know how much time I will have this coming weekend - I have some fencing and a couple of pains in the greenhouse to replace thanks to Caira. That said, the approaching storm Dennis may well drive me into the workshop!

I really must get round to cutting out that final sky board.

Jerry

2130627424_20200211_094039(3).jpg.7cf183c022a25c02ad7e4b580a37ab9d.jpg

Very nice Jerry. I do like photos that show what is happening "outside the frame", so to speak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Which is evidence things get done :)

I have just been tidying up my bench (AKA desk) after completing my saddle tank.  The hardest part was deciding which little bits of scrap etch, wire, brass etc. were worth keeping and what just gets tipped in the bin!;)  Many of the little compartments on my soldering mat had off-cuts, and bits of etch fret frame in them which had to go before i could give it a wash.  I'm not good at throwing things out!:nono:

Jim

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

I have just been tidying up my bench (AKA desk) after completing my saddle tank.  The hardest part was deciding which little bits of scrap etch, wire, brass etc. were worth keeping and what just gets tipped in the bin!;)  Many of the little compartments on my soldering mat had off-cuts, and bits of etch fret frame in them which had to go before i could give it a wash.  I'm not good at throwing things out!:nono:

Jim

Agreed Jim, I keep a little wooden tray at the side of the bench for all the off cuts of wire, strip etc but as can be seen even that gets full and needs tidying!

I find the bench almost impossible to keep tidy when doing scenics with all the pots of paint, water, glue, plaster and other potions required. This will only get worse when I start on the green bits with the various flocks, grasses and foliage. I'll do my best!

jerry

20200213_114425.jpg.79f7df6f84f6ed6c159c14941cea1371.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I keep a series of erstwhile plastic food containers (well cleaned out, of course) for scraps of metal, etches, plastic, wire, etc. It is surprising how often just the scrap piece that one needs for a particular task can be found therein.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Is this masterpiece still attending the 2020 trainfest, as forecasted on page 1 ?

Hat, coat, out of here :)

Gosh, I'd completely forgotten about that rash post. The simple answer is no!!

I decided a long time ago that the layout wont be going out, its a home layout. That said Kim is very keen (and she usually gets her own way!) that the station board, with the river and roof, goes out with a simple fiddle yard but we shall see. Once I've finished the scenic boards as far as Bath Junction I shall be returning to the station board and working toward Bath Junction from there but at the current rate of progress it will be a few years yet!

Jerry  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, queensquare said:

I decided a long time ago that the layout wont be going out, its a home layout. That said Kim is very keen (and she usually gets her own way!) that the station board, with the river and roof, goes out with a simple fiddle yard but we shall see.

Come on Jerry. We all accept that Teacher Knows Best. Just do it! (As you know, I'm now married to one, too!)

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, queensquare said:

Gosh, I'd completely forgotten about that rash post. The simple answer is no!!

I decided a long time ago that the layout wont be going out, its a home layout. That said Kim is very keen (and she usually gets her own way!) that the station board, with the river and roof, goes out with a simple fiddle yard but we shall see. Once I've finished the scenic boards as far as Bath Junction I shall be returning to the station board and working toward Bath Junction from there but at the current rate of progress it will be a few years yet!

Jerry  

I was only joking,  but would love to see it, should you ever exhibit the station.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, queensquare said:

After all the recent posts focussing on the Colliery side of the layout we leap to the other end because yesterday I popped in to see JBS who has painted the short stretch of backscene behind bridge 44 and the river. I shall finish the scenic work on the country section before doing any more here but couldn't resist propping it in place to see how it looked.

John has made a fantastic job and I'm really pleased. Considering it was painted remotely from the layout It will need remarkably little tweaking to match the foreground which, itself, has a long way to go.

The horizon line is a couple of inches lower than the other side of the room, the break being at Combe Down/ Devonshire tunnel and this has worked well. There will be distant hills visible behind the sheds, punctuated by the odd crane in Stothert and Pitts yard but for much  of the layout length the foreground buildings of the latter and the gas works will mean that the sky will dominate with the odd distant hill glimpsed between. 

The policy of focussing in on certain areas of the layout, treating them almost like mini-layouts in their own right has been a success, starting with the Midland shed and followed by the Tucking Mill/Combe Down area. The station area is next.

Jerry

IMG_0181.jpg.fd7e30c9decf80455b1d20f5b7dfb1dc.jpg

20200306_124630.jpg.e8d000c7bdc9e2bfc7d12b38ed189538.jpg20200306_124522.jpg.1fd77e7edf73b7d38145862b27712ff3.jpg

Wow! John's backscenes are simply superb.

• Agree 9

I think that all looks quite spectacular. The backscene itself is lovely, not just the trees and sky but the buildings look as if they are standing out three-dimentional.  The last view with the bridge, water and background is very smart indeed.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Wow! John's backscenes are simply superb.

Wot he said :) One of the best back scenes that merge into the reality of the layout I've seen - great work!

Rich

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Donw said:

superbly done. Shows just had good it can be when the backscene and the foreground are in tune with each other. Congrata to both.

Don

Thanks Don although the 3D foreground hasn't had any scenic treatment yet other than basic landform which highlights the skill of John's painting. The buildings are little more than unpainted carcasses and the canal transfer shed on the left bank is just a card mock up. The latter should be some way further along the bank but I've brought it closer to the bridge to help me loose the river on this side. The only picture I have of the transfer shed is a very grainy image on one of the aireal  views so this will be largely guesswork though I'm minded to do it a bit like the lovely wooden warehouses with signwritten ends similar to the beautiful buildings Tricky did on his Midland in Bristol. If anyone can point me in the direction of pictures of Midland transfer sheds I'd be interested to see them.

The river itself swings round to the left in a big arc, the Midland line crossing it again  west of Bath Junction - off scene for me.

Jerry