Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Thanks Don although the 3D foreground hasn't had any scenic treatment yet other than basic landform which highlights the skill of John's painting. The buildings are little more than unpainted carcasses and the canal transfer shed on the left bank is just a card mock up. The latter should be some way further along the bank but I've brought it closer to the bridge to help me loose the river on this side. The only picture I have of the transfer shed is a very grainy image on one of the aireal  views so this will be largely guesswork though I'm minded to do it a bit like the lovely wooden warehouses with signwritten ends similar to the beautiful buildings Tricky did on his Midland in Bristol. If anyone can point me in the direction of pictures of Midland transfer sheds I'd be interested to see them.

The river itself swings round to the left in a big arc, the Midland line crossing it again  west of Bath Junction - off scene for me.

Jerry

Jerry the major bones of the foreground are there which enables one to see the composition of the scene. It is the minor adjustments of the elements both modelled and backscene that matter.

Don

Don

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, queensquare said:

My good friend John Aldrick kindly volunteered to paint my c.1922 Manchester Diner (later Pines). He has done a fantastic job though they are currently on lockdown with him in Leeds though they have been out for a run on his Ivybridge layout - albeit with a funny green engine on the front!

Doctor John is a top modeller and a top man.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The coaches look really good, as does the engine , even if not to everybodys exactitude with the stock!  Great phots a good inspiration on a lovely morning ...  thanks for showing. "All good things come to those who wait." I think is the phrase you are looking for at this time.

Robert 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

The coaches look really good, as does the engine , ...  Great phots a good inspiration on a lovely morning ...  thanks for showing. 

Wot he said! 

Thoroughly stunning modelling Jerry, please keep the inspiration coming!

Cheers, Dave.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, queensquare said:

My good friend John Aldrick kindly volunteered to paint my c.1922 Manchester Diner (later Pines). He has done a fantastic job though they are currently on lockdown with him in Leeds though they have been out for a run on his Ivybridge layout - albeit with a funny green engine on the front!

I have one blue engine ready and another waiting to be painted - seen along with the coaches before they went to John. I have a couple of Nigel Hunt's 483 kits in stock so that I can build some matching red engines but they have to wait for all the stuff that's almost finished to pass through the paint shop first - discipline Clifford, discipline!! 

Jerry

1253577530_IMG_1295(2).JPG.821f3be0b4b619f9653677564c5dc7cd.JPG

20191010_204959.jpg.c8229da46b29ff3117410dc64af2024e.jpg

20200416_114319.jpg.30f8abfa43051c6a6dbb50b91b0e96bd.jpg

20200416_114344.jpg.6abcea13ebb1657bf67ee1b26e2373b3.jpg

What beautiful craftsmanship. Beautiful stock running running on a lovely layout. Although, I would be bias being an Ivybridge resident!

Best wishes,

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can only echo what others have said stunning work by both of you. The Green engine pulling Maroon coaches looks quite at home on Ivybridge.  A through working from the LMS I presume. An excursion or a regular through working to Plymouth or beyond?

Don

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, queensquare said:

I have a couple of Nigel Hunt's 483 kits in stock so that I can build some matching red engines but they have to wait for all the stuff that's almost finished to pass through the paint shop first - discipline Clifford, discipline!!

Seriously over-rated, this discipline malarkey.

I too have an un-touched Nigel Hunt 483 kit in stock... when we've finished starting our 16" Hunslets, we should have a 483 class build-off (at least up to the unpainted stage!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Mitchell said:

.....(at least up to the unpainted stage!)

But Jerry's will be finished at that stage - North Somerset Light Rly livery!!  :jester:

Jim (with big stick in hand for stirring it!)

Edit to add that my £5.20 piece of modelling card arrived today along with a very nice magazine, which was well worth waiting for.

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Nick Mitchell said:

Seriously over-rated, this discipline malarkey.

I too have an un-touched Nigel Hunt 483 kit in stock... when we've finished starting our 16" Hunslets, we should have a 483 class build-off (at least up to the unpainted stage!)

I don't know about that, you'll have me adding all sorts of details I'd normally ignore! :rolleyes:

Jerry

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

But Jerry's will be finished at that stage - North Somerset Light Rly livery!!  :jester:

Jim (with big stick in hand for stirring it!)

Edit to add that my £5.20 piece of modelling card arrived today along with a very nice magazine, which was well worth waiting for.

Thanks Jim although I'll have you know over half my engines are painted - the percentage of painted coaches is much smaller mind!! :D

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

To be fair to Jerry he builds rather a lot of stuff so there are as many painted ones as most folks.  I suspect the paint shop has trouble keeping up with the works!

My copy of MRJ arrived today too. Good issue I had the pleasure of seeing Sherton Abbas at a SWAG meet. Lovely layout. But the bulk of this issue is taken up with some excellent 2mm articles good choices Jerry.

Don

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

Where did the other two coaches go between Wiltshire and Leeds? There's 8 on the bridge out of Bath but only 6 at Ivybridge. :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Maybe the missing two were slip coaches.....

Tom.  

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

Where did the other two coaches go between Wiltshire and Leeds? There's 8 on the bridge out of Bath but only 6 at Ivybridge. :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

A Western 4-6-0 can't handle over the South Devon banks what a 2P can take with ease over the Mendips.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

Definitely. John has been painting some other coaches recently too (I nearly said "in a proper livery" then!:diablo_mini:).

This is a photo he sent to members of our 2mm area group a few weeks ago (coaches are awaiting glazing and door handles apparently) - I hope he won't mind me sharing it and that Jerry won't mind a bit of the "opposition" in Bath appearing in his thread.

Andy

Andy

He's incredibly prolific, they are beautiful. The S&D and GWR might have been arch enemies but there's no denying that chocolate and cream livery is very attractive - not as nice as red or blue mind!!

Jerry 

Edited by queensquare
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, A Murphy said:

'Proper' railways don't paint coaches. They varnish them.  Grabs coat and runs.....:diablo_mini:

Regards,

Alastair M

I have a varnished six wheeler to build courtesy of that splendid chap Atso for my NPCS rake - it will look lovely with all that red and blue stuff!

Jerry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1