Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, mullie said:

Which Trespa panels did you order as their seems to be a choice of three?

Chassis looks superb.

Many thanks

Martyn

Seems mad but I cant remember. When I went on the sight a week or so ago I don't remember being given three choices so I think I just hit samples and external cladding. Ive just had another look now and the lab worktop material looks good ...... think I will get my daughter to order some samples.

Jerry

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, queensquare said:

A couple of days ago I was sent an email reminding me that I had promised to post some basic instructions regarding the SDJR 6 wheel brake van bits I had produced. Its been two years now and as I'm building another rake of POs it seemed about time I got my finger out so last night I settled down to put another one together - I'm doing eight for myself. This may seem rather a lot but as the picture below, taken at Masbury in 1937 shows, many S&D freights had two or even three in the consist, not just for extra braking capacity but also as mail or road vans.

1075141762_MasburyJuly1937.jpeg.e9515fa3cacc3f35bbb19cfda5c84945.jpeg

Lovely photo, Jerry. 

I have two of the D&S kits to build in 4mm.........one day........

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Lovely photo, Jerry. 

I have two of the D&S kits to build in 4mm.........one day........

Rob. 

Hauling wrongline or at the rear of a Northbound train ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Methinks neither. 

However, certainly one will be in 1950s condition ( whatever that may be! ) and suitably lettered to run between Eweington Junction  and Bleat Wharf............. ;)

Rob 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Methinks neither. 

However, certainly one will be in 1950s condition ( whatever that may be! ) and suitably lettered to run between Eweington Junction  and Bleat Wharf............. ;)

Rob 

Here you go Rob, Wells 1953. The L and S have been painted out on the builders plate leaving just the M, other than that I suspect its in late LMS livery under a layer of grot.

Jerry

423951692_M358319Wells19532.jpg.30f632a94ddc34f55efcad9d4e55c40a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Here you go Rob, Wells 1953. The L and S have been painted out on the builders plate leaving just the M, other than that I suspect its in late LMS livery under a layer of grot.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

That's probably the best photo I've seen of these. They seem to have avoided the camera quite successfully. 

Rob.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, queensquare said:

Jerry

The numberplate, I suppose, dates from the division of the remaining S&DJR stock between the parent companies in 1930. Evidently they continued in their local role. Comparing this photo with the well-known official view of No. 6 in S&DJR days - possibly as built - in addition to the well-known modification of the guard's lookouts, I note a difference in the solebar. On No. 6, the row of bolts along the top sits on a prominent horizontal piece, possibly one side of a L-shaped flange, the top side of which supports the body. This is absent in the photo avove; additionally the body is supported on blocks rather than directly on the flange. Is this a sign of a re-built underframe, or were different vans differently constructed in the first place?

This van also has separate rainstrips rather than one continuous one. The pair in the photo with 13809 also have continuous rainstrips.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

Very productive and coming along nicely best I managed in betwix binging freeview Football was adding a few chairs to the recently ripped up and revised Bohemia 

Nick B 

It looks impressive all lined up Nick but it's taken a couple of years chipping away at the pile   -  it only takes a couple of hours to put a chassis together :-))

Jerry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, queensquare said:

F

My only excuse for the C is that my Mum was born in Chatham so Ive always had a soft spot for the SECR. Compared with the Beast she is a real feather weight but copes with the Steve Sykes memorial train of 16 scratchbuilt plasticard wagons easily enough.  Other than being finescaled (by Keith Armes), all that's been done is the addition of a Kent Coast line disc headcode and etched number plates from 247 developments and some real coal in the tender. 

Jerry

20200629_161249.jpg.80c08acf92a9f43b06e14ff0221c7aaf.jpg

20200629_175859.jpg.aa18060a3a7de11cca3abf4e6351166e.jpg

what no sound in the C  assuming DCC ?  

Nick B 

• Like 1

Two very nice atmospheric photos Jerry.   I especially like the L&Y 0-8-0 and the make up of the goods train which is of a good length and looks suitably arranged to my eyes at least 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, queensquare said:

the L&Y beast

My curiosity was piqued by the late MR / early LMS style brake van behind the beast. On digging out Garner's Registers, I find Nos. 23-25 to LMS D1659 dating from 1925. I hadn't been aware of these before, so you have contributed to my further education once again. Were these Highbridge-built, or by one of the LMS works - probably Derby?

• RMweb Gold

1 hour ago, 2mmKiwi said:

Two very nice atmospheric photos Jerry.   I especially like the L&Y 0-8-0 and the make up of the goods train which is of a good length and looks suitably arranged to my eyes at least 

Thanks Steve, the train is probably ten or so wagons short but I think a 25 wagon freight is a nice size visually and its all my fiddle yard will take - I could have made the sector plate bigger but I wanted that long scenic run so something had to give! As is well known I can be a bit cavalier with precise details of individual wagons but in 2mm I think capturing the look of the huge variety that could be seen is more important, particularly in my favoured 1920s period with the common user agreement in place.

33 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

My curiosity was piqued by the late MR / early LMS style brake van behind the beast. On digging out Garner's Registers, I find Nos. 23-25 to LMS D1659 dating from 1925. I hadn't been aware of these before, so you have contributed to my further education once again. Were these Highbridge-built, or by one of the LMS works - probably Derby?

They were Derby built and, according to Mike King's Southern Wagons pictorial they returned to the LMS in 1930.

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/06/2020 at 20:39, queensquare said:

The Beast is part of my slowly growing collection of pre-group eight-coupled locos which I have for no better reason than I like them. Its built from the excellent Nigel Hunt kit and I'm pleased to report that she walked away with the 25 wagon and brake test train on Bath bank. She runs very well but was initially a bit 'growly' but I filled the acres of empty space in the barn of a tender which was acting as a sound box which has quietened her down considerably.

Jerry

20200629_161249.jpg.80c08acf92a9f43b06e14ff0221c7aaf.jpg

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your comments about the 0-8-0. You've made a great job of it. As loco kits go I think it's pretty straightforward, the only awkward bit being the tender axleboxes/ springs. This is the only kit I've produced that only needed one test etch before finalising the production version, due to the simplicity of the prototype rather than my artwork design skills. Shame I've now retired from kit production just as I was starting to get the hang of it.

Nigel Hunt

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nig H said:

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your comments about the 0-8-0. You've made a great job of it. As loco kits go I think it's pretty straightforward, the only awkward bit being the tender axleboxes/ springs. This is the only kit I've produced that only needed one test etch before finalising the production version, due to the simplicity of the prototype rather than my artwork design skills. Shame I've now retired from kit production just as I was starting to get the hang of it.

Nigel Hunt

Thanks Nigel. It is a really ugly loco, the sort that only its mother could love but I really like them. It was my Monday night project at club for a big chunk of last year and I had lots of good natured comments from (mainly GWR enthusiasts) about its lack of good looks!

As you say it is a pretty straightforward loco to build. The tender axle boxes defeated me. I got five pretty good and consistent then lost a couple of the tiny parts that pinged off to the carpet gods and, in the end, I got Steve 'Atso' to kindly print me a set. The other point worth noting is that with the eight wheeled tender, you need to ensure that the tender wheels all have equal sideplay to ensure it will go round 24" curves ok.

It is a real shame you have retired from designing kits as yours always go together well. Still, on the upside you might get that layout built now!

Jerry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Nig H said:

Shame I've now retired from kit production just as I was starting to get the hang of it.

That is a pity Nigel. I thought you doing the etch and Nick doing the instructions/video was the Dream Team ;-)  Many thanks for all the kits you've given us the pleasure of anyway!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought I should de-lurk to post this:

61604813539__13AC491A-B184-4E89-8DA9-3CC10875D030.JPG.4e8bcf309adcd821109afb8652831adf.JPG

Needs a little bit of work still - couplings, glazing, some hand rails and a touch up of the paint on the ducket.  Chassis by Jones out of Clifford, body by moi on my Anycubic Photon (as I didn't like the way the wood bodies I got turned out - I blame the builder!!).

The drawing file has been altered for the revised duckets - should have same at the ZAG tomorrow.

Cheers

Kevin of Oz

• Like 10