Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, queensquare said:

MOTD tonight so more progress on the marathon PO build - just door bangers to fit then clean up, paint, letter, loads, couplings.......

Jerry

20200711_231209.jpg.6016448dd6cf1ed0bf9489e31fd1a25a.jpg

Jerry,

Sorry if this has already been said an Di've missed something, but whose are the kits? I presume they are kits and not 3D prints?

Rich

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Jerry,

Sorry if this has already been said an Di've missed something, but whose are the kits? I presume they are kits and not 3D prints?

Rich

Hi Rich, they are 2mm Association kits, 2-544 1887 RCH open

Jerry

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, queensquare said:

MOTD tonight so more progress on the marathon PO build - just door bangers to fit then clean up, paint, letter, loads, couplings.......

Jerry

If this were my workbench, at this point I'd be seriously considering a change of era and a rattle can of freight stock grey :D

Tom. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TomE said:

If this were my workbench, at this point I'd be seriously considering a change of era and a rattle can of freight stock grey :D

Tom. 

I have a few DG coupling sessions to look forward to!

Jerry

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 16/03/2019 at 15:23, queensquare said:

As any long standing member of the 2mm Association will already know there are almost as many designs of tie bar as there are active members so, for what its worth, here's mine which I've successfully used on various layouts for a number of years.

The pictures should make it pretty self explanatory but essentially its a moving sleeper. I use fiberglass for the tie bar for greater strength. I have the copper clad on the bottom and drill holes for the operating wire in the middle (sometimes at one end) and one each end just inboard of the switch rail through which I pass a Peco track pin. I also solder a washer  (or in the case of the last batch I made I obviously used some etched chairplates - perhaps I'd run out of washers!) around the operating hole to beef it up. More etched chairplates with a hole in one end are soldered on top to the Peco pin which can, of course, pivot. 

Clean up so that the switch  rail can be hard up against the pin and solder in place. The result is a nice, strong solder joint between switch rail and pin/chairplate which is under minimal stress.  A quick clean up with a rat tail file and job done. Note that the file in the picture is a cheep, Chinese job - dont use your best Vallorbe for cleaning up solder!

Iv'e found these tie bars to be very strong and reliable in service. The compromise is, of course, that you have a moving sleeper but thats never bothered me visually, particularly once carefully ballasted. 

IMG_0002.JPG.4395db5950a3302b768a84bc5545ce02.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG.41b6cd70111852ca3a4fd11d992f9db4.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG.47be57baa52a2f6cd8f59d7b482504a5.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG.fd6bd140591e588bc4b0ca8989bb5f5f.JPG

Jerry

I couldn't believe how resilient this stretcher bar is. It was greatly stressed while I was trying to fit / unfit (more than once) the wire-in-tube TOU. And the adjustments are very easy to make. Although one of the blades came off, it took a minute to solder it back.

I used 188°C solder to join the brass pins to the scarp N/S plates, and low-melt solder (70°C) to join the blades to the N/S plates. The stretcher bar is a strip of 0.4 mm fibre-glass PCB.

When operating the turnout, I noticed the blades swivelling around the stretcher bar - I can only imagine how stressed a solid joint would be.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, queensquare said:

Scrubbed up and ready for painting - not to be mistaken for cheese and pineapple!

20200716_142155.jpg.3d58072cd52d0a3a6d4a1e2f4c7b76fa.jpg

Jerry

Looking at the back right of the photo, you might want to be careful come breakfast time.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

On 11/07/2020 at 23:24, queensquare said:

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Did you get a knack to getting these kits to go together neatly? 

I recently built another two and a devil of a time getting neat square joints on the corners.

(And only then did I realise there are two different sides, with and without diagonal strapping, as well as three different ends - so ended up taking them apart again to swap sides!)

Cheers

J

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, justin1985 said:

Hi Jerry,

Did you get a knack to getting these kits to go together neatly? 

I recently built another two and a devil of a time getting neat square joints on the corners.

(And only then did I realise there are two different sides, with and without diagonal strapping, as well as three different ends - so ended up taking them apart again to swap sides!)

Cheers

J

Hi Justin,

I agree, these are not as crisp as some plastic mouldings and I did dress the corners to sharpen up the joint which means the floor also needed to have a few thou filed off to fit snugly without trying to push the sides out.

They are all primed now and I've ordered a new bottle of micro-sol and micro-set so hopefully make some more progress at the weekend.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/07/2020 at 08:56, Lacathedrale said:

Jerry, I thought to myself that I'd build 3 SR vans simultaneously and while it was more efficient it did feel like I was going a bit mad. I can't imagine how building 27 is!

It ended up being 30! It can be a bit mind numbing but thats why I've done it in the evenings in front of the telly. 

Jerry

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, queensquare said:

It ended up being 30! It can be a bit mind numbing but thats why I've done it in the evenings in front of the telly. 

Jerry

A clever ruse, Jerry.  Even 30 wagons at once will seem less mind numbing when compared to what's on telly.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, garethashenden said:

What is your source for transfers?

Justin1985 very kindly did them for me. Ive tried a couple and they look great - will show pictures later in the week when I get a minute.

Jerry

10 hours ago, queensquare said:

Justin1985 very kindly did them for me. Ive tried a couple and they look great

Jerry

Ooooooh!

Is Justin offering a custom transfer printing service now?

M.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, -missy- said:

Ooooooh!

Is Justin offering a custom transfer printing service now?

M.

Sadly no, I blagged a favour. He is offering pre-group GER transfers and a few East Anglian POs, see the notice in the latest 2mm mag.

Jerry