Bath Queen Square

queensquare

27 minutes ago, bécasse said:

The bogies, the use of a pin & bar centre coupler and presence of an air pipe, and, perhaps above all, the overhead power lines and their support poles, suggest an American prototype prior to the use of buck-eye couplers.

The caption to the photo suggests it's in en-route from Palestine to Cairo in the mid 30s;

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2019708958/

Andy

edit - Olddudders beat me to it.

Edited by 2mm Andy

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the contributions. Nothing British yet but the last, German example is the sort of thing I was thinking of. I suspect I will do something similar at some point even if it's another example of those  special loads which were rare on the prototype but beloved of modellers.

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/09/2020 at 17:17, nick_bastable said:

a couple of photos in this offer clues and  a  maybe it happened by rail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3366165/London-furniture-factory-Waring-Gillow-built-planes-WWI-WWII.html

Nick B

Thanks Nick, a fascinating collection. This one has given me some ideas.

Jerry

2F7DF7FA00000578-3366165-image-a-42_1450472294148.jpg.a1dc2cac5991078ee00f22184d74803c.jpg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, queensquare said:

Thanks Nick, a fascinating collection. This one has given me some ideas.

Jerry

2F7DF7FA00000578-3366165-image-a-42_1450472294148.jpg.a1dc2cac5991078ee00f22184d74803c.jpg

I think the Copenhagen Fields chaps have something similar trundling up the Caledonian Road past Mr Fielder's shop;

https://amodelrailway.blogspot.com/2019/03/bnhmrs-36th-exhibition.html

(second photo down)

Shame that most of the railways in the UK seem to have used covered vans to transport aeroplane fuselages/components.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

For those interested in the de Havilland aircraft and company this months (Oct) Aeroplane mag has a special edition mainly devoted to the subject .....looks interesting so far....but can't see any photos of planes in transit though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, justin1985 said:

This coach caught my eye - looks like LNWR livery? (or Caledonian?) But has an MxxxxM number, suggesting BR era. Is it an LMS (or Midland?) coach masquerading as LNWR for filming? Or some other early BR 'heritage' operation? 

Those Magnificent  Men in Their Flying Machines. Was on TV again recently. I think that, strangely, this scene is supposed to be in France. So a completely mythical livery.

Edit: I think those are LMS Period 1 coaches, surprising that they would still have had public traffic numbers rather than departmental that late.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

1 hour ago, justin1985 said:

This coach caught my eye - looks like LNWR livery? (or Caledonian?) But has an MxxxxM number, suggesting BR era. Is it an LMS (or Midland?) coach masquerading as LNWR for filming? Or some other early BR 'heritage' operation? 

M19116M was a Fowler LMS non-corridor lavatory composite to diagram 1686, built 1929 and withdrawn from traffic in October 1964. We can see the end with three 3rd class compartments (two with side-corridor access to a lavatory), the next carriage also appears to be to diagram 1686 and, as it is the same way round, we are looking at the end with two 3rd class compartments (followed by three 1sts), the panelling variation is obvious.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Just googled the release date of the film. 1965, a bit earlier than I thought. So it would have been filmed in 1964 when these coaches were, just, still in revenue service. 

It was filmed on the Bedford to Hitchin line (built by the Midland Railway). The Highland 4-6-0 'Jones Goods' which had previously been returned to steam for Scottish railtour duties was brought down from Scotland and was iI think shedded at Bedford for the duration of the filming. The tunnel visible in some of the photos was Old Warden tunnel. I suspect the coaches were hired from BR for the duration and painted to suit.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

My winter project is to build a race day train of horseboxes for Bath or Wincanton. I have a number of horseboxes in stock/already built but, for variety would like to add one of the Etched Pixel LSWR 16' boxes to the train. Etched Pixels are currently closed until at least April 2021 so I'm after one from somebodies gloat box.

If anyone has an unbuilt etch they are willing to sell me could they drop me a pm.

many thanks,

Jerry

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, queensquare said:

My winter project is to build a race day train of horseboxes for Bath or Wincanton. I have a number of horseboxes in stock/already built but, for variety would like to add one of the Etched Pixel LSWR 16' boxes to the train. Etched Pixels are currently closed until at least April 2021 so I'm after one from somebodies gloat box.

If anyone has an unbuilt etch they are willing to sell me could they drop me a pm.

many thanks,

Jerry

Unable to help with an etch but why not put an ad in the Wanted section as well?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, justin1985 said:

I really like your approach of building a train at a time, Jerry. Really worked brilliantly with that rake of PO wagons.

I wish I had the same discipline - but I'm far too magpie / Mr Road like!

Ooh what's that shiny new etched distraction ? ...

Thanks Justin, this is a recent conversion on my part, I'm normally very ill disciplined and like you struggle to resist a shiny new etch. It all started with the Midland shed buildings where I concentrated on all the buildings for a complete scene which I found very satisfying.

To be fair the race special for Wincanton is an easy win in as much as I already have a short rake of horseboxes built over several years which are almost complete - final painting, lettering and weathering to go. I intend to add another couple of Midland boxes to the rake along with a CCT, an OCT and a full brake.

The train I plan after  that is  much more ambitious but I will keep that under my hat in case I revert to starting random models and not finishing them!

Jerry

20200923_095128.jpg.dfb3a9e0695eadb49021025091739027.jpg

• Like 16

Jerry,  why would you want an LSWR horse box in your Wincanton train?  Shirley the only movement on the S&DR would be Templecombe - Wincanton.  Of course Major Fancy-Pants of the Household Cavalry would transport his chargers from manoeuvres on Salisbury Plain to the family pile in Gloucestershire.  Bill

PS:- don't call me Shirley.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Jerry,  why would you want an LSWR horse box in your Wincanton train?  Shirley the only movement on the S&DR would be Templecombe - Wincanton.  Of course Major Fancy-Pants of the Household Cavalry would transport his chargers from manoeuvres on Salisbury Plain to the family pile in Gloucestershire.  Bill

PS:- don't call me Shirley.

Its obviously on its way back from a race meeting at York or Doncaster:-)

Seriously, I have another couple of Midland boxes, another LNWR and a Cally one waiting to be built so I will be able to put a rake together of all northern owners, keeping the LSWR (there's already a 21' box)  and perhaps a Midland one back for tail traffic. The obvious missing ones at the moment are SDJR examples.

I do like the Major Fancy pants idea.

jerry

ps. I really enjoyed the Southwark Bridge videos on the Scalefour virtual show at the weekend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Horseboxes are one item of coaching stock that can be justified almost anywhere off the parent system. S&DJR horsebox No. 6 had a bit part in a rather nasty accident at the Bromford Bridge racecourse station, Birmingham, in January 1913. The Glorious Twelfth was past its prime by the 1920s but in the famous description quoted by Ahrons of the Highland Express leaving Perth on 7 August 1888, the train included horseboxes from the LB&SCR (3), LNWR (3), NBR (3), Midland (1), NER (1), and LSWR (1).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2