Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Donw said:

Very nice Jerry. At the risk of leading you astray, one of the layouts featured in the Gauge 0 guild virtual show is an S&D layout. You may well know the builder but if you fancy a look it should be here https://www.gaugeoguild.com/virtual2020/bathgreen.aspx  

Don

Thanks Don, I've been lucky enough to visit this layout and it's superb.

jerry

• RMweb Gold

I thought perhaps you might know a fellow S&D devotee. I found the contrast between his and your layout interesting.  Both well executed, in 2mm yours shows very much the railway set in the lanscape and carries the feeling of place very well portraying the familiar landscape. In 7mm it feels much more close up and relies more on recognisable items like bridges to identify place.

Don 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Splendid image, Jerry. 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and Kim. 

Here's hoping to meet up in 2021. 

Best wishes, 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas and a better new year to You,Kim and the family.  A couple of years back  one of my Nieces first born arrived at 24 weeks makes you realise what a blessing the NHS is. 

Don

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Jerry,

nice Christmas card, but a green engine? I am still waiting to see something in those LNWR coach colours.

Best wishes,

Jol

Hi Jol, whilst popular opinion has it that the North Somerset's official livery is unpainted metal it is in fact a fetching apple green - unless of course the usually second hand locos livery is in good nick when it arrives in which case it will remain in that colour!

i have made a start on my second Manchester Diner rake which, except for the dining coaches,is all LNWR stock. I even have a volunteer to line them so maybe by the spring. I will try and post some pictures over the next few days.

Jerry

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, queensquare said:

whilst popular opinion has it that the North Somerset's official livery is unpainted metal it is in fact a fetching apple green -

Jerry

Is that the Darlington or Doncaster formulation?  Best Christmas wishes to you and Kim and, hopefully, sometime during 2021 we will be able to meet again.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/12/2020 at 09:16, queensquare said:

Merry Christmas to one and all

Jerry and Kim

Merry Christmas to you, Kim and all the family too Jerry. Hope you have the best one possible under the current circumstances! Hopefully catch up in person next year!

Tom. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to add to the above, I mentioned a shortage of LNWR brake coaches in 2mm so to that end sometime ago I asked Alan Doherty of WorsleyWorks if he would reduce his D306 57' BTk elliptical roofed toplight which is currently in his 3mm range.

Whilst I was at it I asked Alan if he would do the MR D436 59' first diner which he has agreed to do. These eight wheel Diners weren't quite as glamorousas their 12 wheel counterparts but were typical of the cross country expresses and were also the longest lived of the MR Diners, somemaking it to BR, albeit often downgraded to thirds.

If anyone is interested in any of these coaches please contact Alan at Worsley Works as it will help speed up their production as well as making it worth his while doing them.

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, queensquare said:

IMG_0591.JPG.4a284b12a9b804e1a3f52730c74b3a2e.JPG

IMG_0582.PNG.a9b74503f3c901f5801acd93e2c88c89.PNG

IMG_0584.PNG.0ac03c49907582935ae46189cf89611d.PNG

Etches for LNWR coaches are a bit thin on the ground in 2mm. I have a D71 42' Corridor Bk3, a D268 50' arc roof third and D138 comp, a D267 elliptical roof third and a 57' D133 tri- comp. I could really do with switching one of them out for another brake vehicle for a more representative rake but will work with what I've got.

jerry

Pity you can’t have a Claughton in Bath. 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Quite apart from the weak underbridges that were keeping the Compounds at bay until after Gerry's 1920 date, I don't think a Claughton could have been turned at Bath.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, queensquare said:

This is the picture I meant to post earlier, SDJR 71 climbing Bath bank with the Diner, LNWR coach leading. The idea of a blue engine at the head of a mixed rake of LNW and MR coaches I find very appealing.

Jerry  

img098.jpg.99321c374db6d40ad3b3aee4371538b7.jpg

Presumably thats the Brickworks Siding in the foreground?  The change of gradient is very noticeable, or is that an optical illusion?

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Tim

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Quite apart from the weak underbridges that were keeping the Compounds at bay until after Gerry's 1920 date, I don't think a Claughton could have been turned at Bath.

Evening gents. Unfortunately  Stephen is correct, a combination of weak bridges and a 42' turntable at Bath  meant it was the mid 30s before the bigger, six coupled stuff made it to Bath - even then I don't think a Claughton ever made it although you did get the occasional Patriot.

Crab, 13064 in lined red, spent the summer of 1927 at Bath for trials on the S&D. The late Rev Alan Newman told me he saw it arrive being towed in the middle of a freight with an empty boiler and the motion stripped due to the weak bridges. The pony wheels had to be jacked up to turn it. Evidently it acquitted itself very well over the Mendips where engine men were used to nothing bigger than a 2P/483 on passenger work but the practicalities meant none were allocated. I've converted and detailed a Farish Crab (one of their better efforts) which I really should paint sometime so I can have a big red six coupled engine when the mood takes me.

That said, I'm not averse to breaking the rules and I think red really suits a Claughton........... 

Jerry

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, DLT said:

Presumably thats the Brickworks Siding in the foreground?  The change of gradient is very noticeable, or is that an optical illusion?

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave, yes that's May's siding. As you say, the siding is level before dropping down to the brickworks whilst the mainline is climbing steadily at 1:50.

Jerry

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Jerry.Did you see the TV program on Tuesday evening on the Yesterday channel .The Architecture the railways built .This episode was right up your street.All about Bath Spa station and Bath Green park. It even viewd the narrow gauge railway under the Green Park Station .Its worth having a look you can get it on UK TV PLAY . Yesterday cannel , (Edition) The last working round house in the uk. Barrow-Hill.   A very good watch.

What are you working on now Jerry ? as your work benches seem to be in hibernation.

Keep up the work... Regard .  Ray..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...