Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, queensquare said:

Hi Ray, Ive not seen theTV programme, we dont have that channel but I'm told its very good.

I've been very quiet on the modelling front of late for various reasons which I wont bore you with here but yesterday I took advantage of the slight easing of restrictions to pick up (in a socially distanced way) the Diner coaches I built which John Aldrick Kindly painted for me over a year ago and had been with a mutual friend ever since.

They still need glazing, the interior figures painting and the rooves fixing amongst other minor jobs but I couldn't resist posing them on TM viaduct having just emerged from Combe Down tunnel. I have to say John has done a superb job and I'm really pleased - a blue engine with red coaches striding through lush green Somerset hills (well they will be lush green eventually!) - what's not to like. For those interested the train is just over 34" long, a really compact scale length express.

Jerry

IMG_4980.JPG.e91b72a6c5b4016b575aeefa6cb079ca.JPG

IMG_4981.JPG.d83079f397b1a0c3803def330f69b6ca.JPG

2051399990_IMG_4983(2).JPG.696bb9bb06661ff21109f0f2dcddd9d8.JPG

Top man, is Doctor John.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Hi Jerry

Should be on this link - with adverts unfortunately

https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/the-architecture-the-railways-built/watch-online/6230297462001

Chris

Thanks Chris, watched it this morning after taking the dogs out. Very enjoyable, I shall have to catch up with the rest of the series now!

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, queensquare said:

Thanks Chris, watched it this morning after taking the dogs out. Very enjoyable, I shall have to catch up with the rest of the series now!

Jerry

One if the better documentary programmes. A real enthusiast who does the hobby good I'm sure.

• Agree 2

On 10/04/2021 at 15:14, queensquare said:

Hi Ray, Ive not seen theTV programme, we dont have that channel but I'm told its very good.

I've been very quiet on the modelling front of late for various reasons which I wont bore you with here but yesterday I took advantage of the slight easing of restrictions to pick up (in a socially distanced way) the Diner coaches I built which John Aldrick Kindly painted for me over a year ago and had been with a mutual friend ever since.

They still need glazing, the interior figures painting and the rooves fixing amongst other minor jobs but I couldn't resist posing them on TM viaduct having just emerged from Combe Down tunnel. I have to say John has done a superb job and I'm really pleased - a blue engine with red coaches striding through lush green Somerset hills (well they will be lush green eventually!) - what's not to like. For those interested the train is just over 34" long, a really compact scale length express.

Jerry

IMG_4980.JPG.e91b72a6c5b4016b575aeefa6cb079ca.JPG

IMG_4981.JPG.d83079f397b1a0c3803def330f69b6ca.JPG

2051399990_IMG_4983(2).JPG.696bb9bb06661ff21109f0f2dcddd9d8.JPG

Absolutely splendid Jerry!

Gerry

• Agree 1

Hi Jerry.Im glad you got to see the Tv program on Bath Stations ,that quite a good series that has been transmited.

Some very interesting subjects,I have  gained some very good  facts .Thanks Gilbert you managed to give Jerry the web site for TvPlay uk.com (at least somethings free thes days).  I do Like youe new additions those Red carridges do go well with your Blue 

loco . Well hoping that has now given you some  inspiration ,Keep well hope to see you on the circuit this year .Regars Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jerry. Congratulations your article on FOXCOTE  COLLIERY has yust landed on mt doorstep in latest edition of BRM.

Excellent article throughout and the photo's do it proud. Another welldone.

Have you seen the U Tube film of Ian Smiths  Layout Modbury ?. Yet another good layout. (sorry i havnt got the link to it as it popped up on my tablet a few weeks ago .

Regards to all Ray.

Edited by Trewisin
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, queensquare said:

Not much is happening on the layout at the moment as I am putting a new roof on the workshop later in the summer which is a major job, not least dismantling those parts of the layout that can be and covering up the rest.

I have, however, been building stock as seen over the last couple of pages. The latest addition to the loco stud is one that I have wanted for a long time as they were common at Bath in the 1920s, a Kirtley goods. The loco is built using a David Eveleigh etch, Association wheels which I fitted with extended axles and a 7mm coreless motor. The etches are not without their issues, most fairly minor, but in the important aspects, notably the curly framing and footplate and their relationship to the splashers, springs, cab etc they are very good with some very clever design features to make construction of what is a very tricky prototype as straightforward as possible. Tom Everett printed some lovely tender toolboxes, always a pain to make, and a Deeley smokebox door. Overall I'm really pleased with how she has turned out and I will be writing up the full build for MRJ.

I have a number of items either ready or nearly ready for painting so, following a good scrub, the Kirtley should be painted and finished - grubby black, late Midland livery - in the not too distant future.

jerry

20210119_162949.jpg.dbbd7f0e052fb10e237119559e547e12.jpg

IMG_5087.jpg.25696a92da6f3dd639f150abed5530dd.jpgIMG_5092.jpg.f03b1fa207ea0080a4c62d28e9fa9be5.jpgIMG_5081.jpg.751219ad675d3ff4f842ff5a7768fd32.jpg

A lovely model of one of the best looking 0-6-0 locos ever built.

Super stuff Jerry.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Smith said:

Even though they aren’t green and there are no nice shiny bits, the Kirtley Goods has always been one of my favourite engines. Yours looks lovely!

Also available in green (pre-1883)!

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Ian Smith said:

Even though they aren’t green and there are no nice shiny bits, the Kirtley Goods has always been one of my favourite engines. Yours looks lovely!

I agree, a very characterful locomotive.

39 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Also available in green (pre-1883)!

But would it be the correct shade of green? 

:whistle:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

But would it be the correct shade of green? 

I think one would be hard pressed to assert a difference between the dark green of Kirtley's time - and the first years of Johnson's tenure - and the green being used by Swindon at that time. They would almost certainly be based on the same pigments. Dark green is the default colour for locomotives, just as claret is for carriages - it's the colour they go if you don't make a serious and determined effort to paint them otherwise. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Asie from the models I do not know what roof you have on the shed. I have used an EDPM on mine having done some on extension roofs. Not cheap but as a single sheet there are no joints to do.  The method has the advantage that you lay the sheet out to strecth before spreading adhesive one side then the other then fixing the edges. Once the sheet iss laid over it is water proof so easy to cope with a surprise downpoor by doing the job. It is also good for 25 years.

Don

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, bécasse said:

You could be very proud of that model if it were in 4mm scale, in 2FS it is quite remarkable - and you aren't even a dentist!

The "funny" was for the last part... But really, it would be a splendid model in any of the larger scales.  

• Agree 2

• 5 months later...