Bath Queen Square

queensquare

Jerry,

I remember seeing a photo of the station building in one (or on the cover) of the 2mm Scale Association magazines many years ago - I'd have thought you'd have finished it all by now :jester: .

Seriously though, that looks like it will be a really exciting project and I look forward to seeing updates however infrequently they come. The overall roof looks exquisite.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all, now it has a permanent home it will make better progress. I like doing exhibitions but with small layouts (hence Highbury and Tucking Mill) so I don't anticipate Bath going out very often, certainly no more than once or twice a year at most but I have targetted the 2mm Association's 60th anniversary expo in 2020 as its first major outing.

Geoff, as one of my local shows it will certainly come to Trainwest although it might be a few years yet!

Jerry

Superb modelling - believe it or not, it's the pair of tweezers in the foreground of shot (5) that gives away the scale & intricacy of the work.

I've just got to *make it* to 2020!

Regs

Ian

A station that is a big part of my family, beautifully modelled. I am a big fan of the 4mm version but the early setting of yours just tips in it's favour! My great grandfather worked in the offices there, retiring in 1939 and my dad made a model of it for his thesis, taking my mum along not long after they met to hold the end of the tape in what was a rather derelict building. My gran helped with evacuees there in WW2, being shocked that some didn't have underwear! She also collected post cards from troop trains returning from Dunkirk to allow the soldiers to tell someone they were safe, as they weren't allowed off the train due to the state they were in.

• Like 2

Still winding my jaw off my chest Jerry. That's going to look really, truly, incomparaby good when it's finished. Now, how about a fantasy 2mm Expo? This, Fencehouses, Ynysarwed Sidings (didn't know I could spell that), Copenhagen Fields, Wansbeck Road.....

Alan

I remember seeing bits of this at the NEC a short while ago. I have been trying to think of something to say that hasnt already been said but I cant really, its absolutely fantastic!

I think Im going to pack my 2mm stuff up and move onto something else now...

Missy ;)

• RMweb Gold

Stunning work Jerry,

I thought I spotted it in the background of your recent Tucking photographs and I was about to ask about it so that's great timing.

Thanks for sharing it with us on a new thread...another one to add to the follow list...:yes:

• RMweb Premium

Now that has the makings of a very, very beautiful model indeed. My hat is well and truly off to anyone that can model to this standard in 2mm. I really hope you now have the space and time to move on with this as a lot of people will be interested in its development. Those station buildings are a delight and that roof is a real wow. Good luck with it.

Regards

Mike

Wow, just caught up with this, my only real knowledge of the building is a vision of it as a dark, depressing car park in those excellent 'Return to Evercreech Junction' documentaries, presumably filmed in the mid eighties. I must go and have a look at the real thing!

I like the baseboard as well, not sure what you would call the shape, an extended harpsichord??? :)

• RMweb Gold

A lovely model of a very interesting station. I pass it regularly as my fiancee works close by. Never understand why everyone thinks of it as Green Park when it was Queen Square for so much longer.

Thanks Joseph. It was always known, and listed, as Queen Square in Bradshaws though I don't now if that was ever the official title. Locals always simply refered to it as the Midland station, even after it was renamed.

Jerry

• Like 2

Thanks Joseph. It was always known, and listed, as Queen Square in Bradshaws though I don't now if that was ever the official title. Locals always simply refered to it as the Midland station, even after it was renamed.

I'm with Jerry on this one - Queens Square sounds so much less prosaic than Green Park, although the locals were delightfully pragmatic by simply referring to it as 'the Midland station'. Frustratingly, English Heritage have it Grade II Listed as 'Green Park Railway Station, Bath' http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/Default.aspx?id=442586 and Wikipedia as 'Bath Green Park' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_Green_Park_railway_station . But hey, what do they know, ha ha!

Phil

• Like 1