Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

These couple of pages on the construction of the train shed were originally in a section of their own but I have asked Andy if he would move them to my main Bath Queensquare thread lest they are lost in the mass of other stuff which would be a shame as they contain some good photos and other bits that may be of interest.

A couple of years ago my long suffering wife Kim bought me a set of scratch aid etches from Bill Blackburn which covered the tricky, curved girders - albeit in the flat, leaving the modeller to work out how to convert these into the H and I sections that made up the prototype. These sheets sat in my drawer until earlier this year when, after much nagging, I eventualy decided it was about time I got on with them.

In this first post I offer up a couple of pictures of the prototype, one from a small collection of Bath pictures that were found at a swap meet. The photographer and date are unknown but I would suggest late 1920's judging by the condition of the roof and the other pictures in the bundle, all of which look to have been taken at the same time - bang in my period.
The others are a handful of the many pictures I have taken of the restored roof.

post-1074-0-19115900-1342109353_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-31839100-1342109410_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-59989000-1342121762_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-95753400-1342109439_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-33311300-1342109464_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-36928500-1342121835_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic Jerry...I was looking forward to seeing this thread evolve when you mentioned it earlier.

Just one thing...is that beautiful roof structure now relegated to become a carpark...albeit a very nice one? ;)

Seems such a waste of a great space...

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Amazing work, Jerry, brilliantly executed!

Pete - yes, it's a car park these days for the adjacent Sainsburys, who paid for the restoration of the main buildings and roof back in 1982. There used to be (probably still are) events held under the roof, ranging from a Saturday market to the parking of a 7F (on a low-loader) for a few days in 2006...

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic Jerry...I was looking forward to seeing this thread evolve when you mentioned it eralier.

Just one thing...is that beautiful roof structure now relegated to become a carpark...albeit a very nice one? ;)

Seems such a waste of a great space...

Afraid so although in the early eighties it looked like it might become scrap metal as it, and the station were falling down. It is used rgularly as a covered market and, although I would much rather see trains there, Sainsburys did do a good job on the restoration.

The drawings I used for the station building, and am using for the roof, are those drawn up by the architects who worked for Sainsburys on the restoration project,

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pete - yes, it's a car park these days for the adjacent Sainsburys, who paid for the restoration of the main buildings and roof back in 1982. There used to be (probably still are) events held under the roof, ranging from a Saturday market to the parking of a 7F (on a low-loader) for a few days in 2006...

Afraid so although in the early eighties it looked like it might become scrap metal as it, and the station were falling down. It is used rgularly as a covered market and, although I would much rather see trains there, Sainsburys did do a good job on the restoration.

Thanks Capt'n / Jerry

Fair play to Sainsburys for paying for the refurb...and at least when used as a market it looks a credible use of the space...but a carpark 6 days a week :O

(During my years working spent working at Norman Fosters studio I spent 18 months on the St Pancras Eurostar terminus so get all emotional about beautiful roof structures every now and again)

Sorry to drift off topic Jerry...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

(During my years working spent working at Norman Fosters studio I spent 18 months on the St Pancras Eurostar terminus so get all emotional about beautiful roof structures every now and again)

Sorry to drift off topic Jerry...

Not at all Pete,

St Pancras, now theres a roof..................

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

c****k things up

Either that word is not what I thought it was...or the whiskey is kicking in...:rofl:

Seriously though Jerry...if I could have built a roof half as good as your plasticard version I would be a very happy chappy..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Don.

I have decided to enter the trainshed roof for the 2012 challenge so further progress on the build will now be in this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58901-bath-queen-square-green-park-trainshedoverall-roof/page__fromsearch__1

I will still put pictures of it in this thread along with all other progress. I have dug out a load of pictures of the stable block and stable cottage from Bath which I forgot I had taken so when I have sorted them I will post some up.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

So that's why you looked like the cat that had stolen the cream on Monday night. Look forwards to seeing all the farmers market stalls in 2mm!

Richard

Must admit I was feeling pretty pleased with myself.

When I did the Bath demo at Warley a couple of years ago I set up a swear box for all those who asked when I was going to build Sainsburys etc - I did make 50p!

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Superb, Jerry. You seem to have at least half the scenic side of the layout already done in sections and waiting for instalment!

Thanks Phil. I have been making all sorts of bits and pieces for the layout for years, not just stock but buildings, road vehicles, platform furniture and all manner of stuff. The idea was that when I eventually had the time and space to get stuck in to the project it would be like assembling a big kit. The other great advantage, particularly with a project of this size, is that there is such a wide variety of stuff to be made that boredom is unlikely to set in.

As for half the scenic bits already done - I wish!!

Jerry

• Like 2

Thanks Phil. I have been making all sorts of bits and pieces for the layout for years, not just stock but buildings, road vehicles, platform furniture and all manner of stuff. The idea was that when I eventually had the time and space to get stuck in to the project it would be like assembling a big kit. The other great advantage, particularly with a project of this size, is that there is such a wide variety of stuff to be made that boredom is unlikely to set in.

As for half the scenic bits already done - I wish!!

What's amazing, Jerry, is that it's very hard to tell from the photos what scale these models are, with no scale give-aways. In my book that's always a good sign of modelling excellence. And I like your approach to a modelling magnum opus - break it down into sub-projects and seek out variety to keep stagnation at bay. Good advice.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely modelling Jerry. As Phil says, unless you knew this was 2mm there is nothing that gives away the scale.

What have you used for the stone walling and the cobbles?

Ian

Thanks all. The stone walling on the stables is Slaters, the cobbles are carved filler (never again!).

Jerry