Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

I've also been playing with lights - well my £2.95 did get me fifty of those little diffused yellow LEDs!

I rather like the effect which will be further improved by painting out all but the bottom bowl of the bulb which I think will be a pretty reasonable representation of  the gas's lighs in the shed. Bit of a gimmick but it's fun - think I'll get one of those flashing, welding light units as well  - only joking :-)

20190301_225733.jpg.424d39dc4b517d84ef262933f1addea3.jpg

20190301_230055.jpg.9eb25f5c40270d42ca83f067d5a2ed39.jpg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Geoff Endacott said:

Is this still going to be ready for Trainwest 2020?

Geoff Endacott

Seriously Geoff, the main layout is never going out. I will be taking bits out as part of the 2mm demo I do but not the lot - its probably going to be at least another ten years before its anything like finished anyway!

Jerry

• Like 3

The engine shed looks great Jerry and those yellow LEDs give just the right effect. If course, if you're planning to operate in an evening/night setting the loco lamps will need illuminating as well! I toyed with the idea of using dots of florescent paint on the lamp lens to get a glow before deciding that my layout will be 'interesting' enough to try and operate in daylight!

Having seen Bath Queen Square 'in the flesh', I don't blame you for not considering exhibiting it - it is a large and complicated bit of kit. I bet it'll be great fun to operate when it is complete.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Atso said:

The engine shed looks great Jerry and those yellow LEDs give just the right effect. If course, if you're planning to operate in an evening/night setting the loco lamps will need illuminating as well! I toyed with the idea of using dots of florescent paint on the lamp lens to get a glow before deciding that my layout will be 'interesting' enough to try and operate in daylight!

Having seen Bath Queen Square 'in the flesh', I don't blame you for not considering exhibiting it - it is a large and complicated bit of kit. I bet it'll be great fun to operate when it is complete.

Thanks Steve. The odds of there being coach lighting or loco lamps is slim to say the least! Then there would be signal lamps, firebox glow etc, the list goes on.

Putting lights in a few buildings is just a bit of fun though I would like to have some lamps if I can come up with a way to make them to scale - both in terms of size and the amount of light they throw out. Old fashioned gas lit street/yard lamps just about pierced the gloom in the immediate area around the light giving off nothing like the illumination of a modern street light. I've no intention of operating in the dark just think it would be nice to sit and look at the layout with the lights on whilst enjoying a little glass of something! 

As ever, we shall see......

Jerry 

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Jerry,

Merg do a simple little kit that emulates gas lamps, with the slight flicker and pop that coal gas used to produce. Each module drives 3 LEDs, so each one flickers and pops at different times. I can let you have a couple I have spare, if you think it won't bring too much technology to your layout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

Jerry,

Merg do a simple little kit that emulates gas lamps, with the slight flicker and pop that coal gas used to produce. Each module drives 3 LEDs, so each one flickers and pops at different times. I can let you have a couple I have spare, if you think it won't bring too much technology to your layout.

Thats very kind, thanks Ian, I'd like to have a play. I think the biggest challenge will be making working lamps that are not overscale.

i will be at the Basingstoke show next weekend so hopefully will see you there

Jerry. 

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, queensquare said:

Finally, more whisky (it is a scotch tonight), and Match of the Day with a vintage Utd performance - best of five against Saints who I also have a soft spot for as my son spent a few years in the academy there - he now lectures at Newcastle Uni.

20190302_234747.jpg.ba8a5972f3008efb995420d6ea275d4f.jpg

Jerry

Quality of life!

(and excellent modelling, too).

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

23 hours ago, queensquare said:

Thats very kind, thanks Ian, I'd like to have a play. I think the biggest challenge will be making working lamps that are not overscale.

i will be at the Basingstoke show next weekend so hopefully will see you there

Jerry. 

You be careful with that new-fangled lerctricity, now... ;)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 1 March 2019 at 23:36, queensquare said:

I've also been playing with lights - well my £2.95 did get me fifty of those little diffused yellow LEDs!

I rather like the effect which will be further improved by painting out all but the bottom bowl of the bulb which I think will be a pretty reasonable representation of  the gas's lighs in the shed. Bit of a gimmick but it's fun - think I'll get one of those flashing, welding light units as well  - only joking :-

Interesting post about lighting, Jerry. I am just about to include a a few of those LEDs which come on a strip into one or two buildings. I have some coloured film to go over the windows to soften the light, but these little diffused yellow bulbs look great!

Marlyn

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Marly51 said:

Interesting post about lighting, Jerry. I am just about to include a a few of those LEDs which come on a strip into one or two buildings. I have some coloured film to go over the windows to soften the light, but these little diffused yellow bulbs look great!

Marlyn

Hi Marlyn, this is the link to the leds I used. I tried white ones first in my signal boxes a few pages back but didn't like the effect - they were too bright and stark. The replacements were so cheep I thought I'd give them a go. You need to put a little resistor on one leg.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-5mm-or-3mm-Superbright-Clear-Diffused-Choose-Colour-Mix-Pack-UK-Seller/152508668100?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Jerry

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/03/2019 at 23:33, queensquare said:

With the principal buildings almost finished this evening I laid them out on the sub-board to see how it will all come together. The S&D shed is on the right but sadly I only have room for two of the four roads before I hit the workshop wall so this will be low relief. I've decided to extend the board the few inches required and incorporate it  into the module although there won't be any track in it for most of its length as access  on the main layout will be all but impossible.

I've laid the .8mm  ply track base and started sketching in where the ground form has to be modified and the various huts etc will, go.

I will be taking this mini shed layout to York and Aylesbury along with a selection of Midland locos by which time I hope to have the track down and at least a mock up of the S&D shed and coal stage.

20190302_221819.jpg.8e862dd8859d98ca81620636cbfc559a.jpg

20190302_221501.jpg.8c55ce481c379aa876ec5a9a8143a1ab.jpg

Finally, more whisky (it is a scotch tonight), and Match of the Day with a vintage Utd performance - best of five against Saints who I also have a soft spot for as my son spent a few years in the academy there - he now lectures at Newcastle Uni.

20190302_234747.jpg.ba8a5972f3008efb995420d6ea275d4f.jpg

Jerry

Jerry, that looks like the perfect combination for a happy life.... football, model railways and a cheeky drink! You are certainly living the dream! :laugh_mini:

Mind the work you are doing here is absolutely stunning. I am in awe of your modelling skills. Thank you for continuing to share what you're doing, I learn so much from following your various threads. 

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/03/2019 at 01:22, south_tyne said:

Jerry, that looks like the perfect combination for a happy life.... football, model railways and a cheeky drink! You are certainly living the dream! :laugh_mini:

David

Thanks David, there are a couple of other elements I'd add to the mix but yes, its not a bad start!:drinks:

Jerry

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As I intend taking this  mini-layout out as a working part of my 2mm demo display I thought a bit of track might not go amiss so I've spent the last couple of evenings making the three points required. Tie bars and isolating gaps aside they are ready to come off the board and be cleaned up ready for priming and laying.

The  first outing for Bath Midland is missionary work in South Wales as guest Scale at NEWGOG, Newport on 6th April.

20190315_222532.jpg.9e7271909f094f24ecff1ef1995e1ffa.jpg

Jerry

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, queensquare said:

The  first outing for Bath Midland is missionary work in South Wales

Don't overlook the local faithful, though they may be found a bit further west - Swansea was a bastion of the Midland, even if infested by some east-west minor line. Just remember all the really important railways run north-south!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Don't overlook the local faithful, though they may be found a bit further west - Swansea was a bastion of the Midland, even if infested by some east-west minor line. Just remember all the really important railways run north-south!

Agreed,, the Swansea area has a  fascinating railway history. My missionary work  there involves banging the 2mm drum rather than the Midland one!

jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As any long standing member of the 2mm Association will already know there are almost as many designs of tie bar as there are active members so, for what its worth, here's mine which I've successfully used on various layouts for a number of years.

The pictures should make it pretty self explanatory but essentially its a moving sleeper. I use fiberglass for the tie bar for greater strength. I have the copper clad on the bottom and drill holes for the operating wire in the middle (sometimes at one end) and one each end just inboard of the switch rail through which I pass a Peco track pin. I also solder a washer  (or in the case of the last batch I made I obviously used some etched chairplates - perhaps I'd run out of washers!) around the operating hole to beef it up. More etched chairplates with a hole in one end are soldered on top to the Peco pin which can, of course, pivot. 

Clean up so that the switch  rail can be hard up against the pin and solder in place. The result is a nice, strong solder joint between switch rail and pin/chairplate which is under minimal stress.  A quick clean up with a rat tail file and job done. Note that the file in the picture is a cheep, Chinese job - dont use your best Vallorbe for cleaning up solder!

Iv'e found these tie bars to be very strong and reliable in service. The compromise is, of course, that you have a moving sleeper but thats never bothered me visually, particularly once carefully ballasted. 

IMG_0002.JPG.4395db5950a3302b768a84bc5545ce02.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG.41b6cd70111852ca3a4fd11d992f9db4.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG.47be57baa52a2f6cd8f59d7b482504a5.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG.fd6bd140591e588bc4b0ca8989bb5f5f.JPG

Jerry

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

With the tie bars fitted and the panel cleaned up I couldn't resist loosely laying it in place - I'm pleased to say that with a few nips and tucks it all seems to line up.

The next question is where were the water column or columns and ash pit/s. The columns, I suspect two, I think are near the exit to the shed yard, to the left as you look at these views - there seems to be a tell tale shadow on the 1920 aerial photo. I think the pits are close by. As usual all the close up pictures I have rather inconveniently have locos in the way but I'm pretty sure there are no pits immediately outside the shed or in front of the coal stage so again, to the left. But would there have been just the one, or two and if one, what road?

Answers  on a postcard please:unknw_mini:

20190316_144131.jpg.d6db2616834c643ebace36834d966797.jpg

20190316_142912.jpg.2a7104212e7d09545fc05f19f823831c.jpg

IMG_2074.PNG.2a7431137cecd6245767cf8f296f456e.PNG

Jerry

• Like 16