Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

I am with you on this Jerry. When a boy we were living aross the Thames from the GWR main line and I used to see long freights on the slow lines. I never noticed whether wheels were spoked or disc. In this scale the effect of that long train is what grabs you something not often modelled or given room to run. That picture takes me back to seeing such long trains headed up to London

Don

• Like 3

On 09/08/2020 at 11:49, queensquare said:

I mentioned on zoom yesterday, as I was putting the wheels in, that I had run out of spoked wheels and that about 30% of these have disc wheels - in fact quite a number of my wagons have disc wheels in. Shocking I know but I must admit I rarely notice and nobody else ever does and I find them much more reliable than spoked ones. The second picture here is the one from the latest MRJ and I cant say in all honesty what wheels...16.jpg.9f80ddeefff45e6cb373bd0077efe04e.jpg

I could tell you the wagons without zooming in but it is not clear for the brake van. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 23/04/2020 at 10:28, queensquare said:

My good friend John Aldrick kindly volunteered to paint my c.1922 Manchester Diner (later Pines). He has done a fantastic job though they are currently on lockdown with him in Leeds though they have been out for a run on his Ivybridge layout - albeit with a funny green engine on the front!

I have one blue engine ready and another waiting to be painted - seen along with the coaches before they went to John. I have a couple of Nigel Hunt's 483 kits in stock so that I can build some matching red engines but they have to wait for all the stuff that's almost finished to pass through the paint shop first - discipline Clifford, discipline!! 

Jerry

1253577530_IMG_1295(2).JPG.821f3be0b4b619f9653677564c5dc7cd.JPG

20191010_204959.jpg.c8229da46b29ff3117410dc64af2024e.jpg

20200416_114319.jpg.30f8abfa43051c6a6dbb50b91b0e96bd.jpg

20200416_114344.jpg.6abcea13ebb1657bf67ee1b26e2373b3.jpg

Hi are there any photos of the rest of this layout 

John 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, lambiedg said:

Or.....

batch build some couplings!

..... and people have commented that building loads of PO wagons is dull :rolleyes:

your'e right of course, at some point I shall have to bite the bullet and build a load of couplings. I have another train planned for the autumn before then though!

Jerry

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, garethashenden said:

What do you use to trim the steps that doesn't break them off in the process?

A sharp little set of side cutters. The steps wont break off, the glue joint is remarkably strong. The bottom pair and third pair up sit on the ledge in the framing, the second pair and top one fit in a little nick cut into the outside framing not unlike a crude housing joint, all of which results in a descent surface area for the joint.

Jerry

20200824_170413.jpg.e252cee5990938f2cc623f73f7a777d2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, queensquare said:

I had the camera out in the workshop yesterday and set up this picture of the lockdown PO train. They still need couplings (and weathering and removable loads) but I've decided a batch of couplings can wait for those long winter evenings in the front room.

Building a complete train does take a bit of determination but is very gratifying when it reaches this stage and, for a large project like Bath, is a sensible way to go. I shall continue the policy, I have two or three options in mind for a winter project.

Jerry

IMG_0276.JPG.4e4bbcdba2a537d2dbfe60ecf5c1a70d.JPG

I take my hat off to you Jerry. Building things in batches of three works for me. Batches of twenty-eight - no thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I take my hat off to you Jerry. Building things in batches of three works for me. Batches of twenty-eight - no thanks.

If I had to do it as my day job then I would agree, it would drive me gaga - batches of three or four is more than enough but for things like this, on my little card-table bench in the front room of an evening it works well spread over a few months. Wagons generally I would do in small batches as most freights are made up of a seemingly random assortment but coal trains just require lots of coal wagons and I was keen to do some appropriate to the area. I could easily justify many more in at least half a dozen more local liveries to be fully representative but it may be a while before I feel the urge to do more! 

My thoughts for winter projects are for a couple of passenger trains which, again, will be done in batches although thankfully, in my period, locals are usually only three or four coaches long and even through trains are rarely more than six to eight in length. I think that there is a philosophical element to this as well in that in 2mm we tend to focus more on modelling trains rather than individual items - or is that just me!!

Jerry 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I posted a picture over on my Foxcote/Highbury thread of a Spitfire swooping over the colliery to mark Battle of Britain day.

I mused how it might be fun to have an appropriate plane to be able to suspend above the layout on occasions. The grainy newspaper picture below has always amused me with its 'navigational aid' painted on top of one of the gas holders! For orientation, Bath Junction and the S&D sidings are lower left. On the layout the gasworks will sadly be predominantly low relief and 2D on the backscene

I have limited knowledge of aircraft but want the sort of thing that amateur pilots would have been buzzing around in in the 1920s. I've ordered a couple of 1:144 plastic kits of WW1 aircraft on the assumption that, like lorries, they were sold off after the war as army surplus - or at least similar aircraft produced for civilian use. 

Any further information, particularly pictures, would be welcome.

Jerry

img008a.jpg.7181b5af5c6e98de1e2bb04645fe0fb6.jpg

• Like 6