Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Competition or not I for one would like you to go on and get this completed. I personally find that once projects go 'cold' it is difficult to get started again and some never do. This is an amazing piece of modelling.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Competition or not I for one would like you to go on and get this completed. I personally find that once projects go 'cold' it is difficult to get started again and some never do. This is an amazing piece of modelling.

Don

Don't worry Don, this will be finished, just not by Oct 1

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

This is really stunning work. Please keep the photos coming.

I know very little about the Midland/S&D but the more I read the more I want to know. Can you tell me if there are any books or websites you particularly recommend? I am fascinated by what sort of locos and rolling stock you would have seen at Bath in the 1925-30 period.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is really stunning work. Please keep the photos coming.

I know very little about the Midland/S&D but the more I read the more I want to know. Can you tell me if there are any books or websites you particularly recommend? I am fascinated by what sort of locos and rolling stock you would have seen at Bath in the 1925-30 period.

There are numerous books on the S&D, most of which focus on the post WW2 period when the variety of locos to be seen was probably at its height. A quick google search would give you a list.

In my view the best introduction to the earlier period are Peter Smiths' memoirs of his time on the footplate, 'Mendips Engineman' and 'Footplate over the Mendips'. The second is my particular favourite and it's what fired my enthusiasm for the period covering, as it does, the career of Peter Smiths' mate and mentor Donald Beale who started on the S&D at Bath in the years following the First War, retiring, with the closure of the line in 1966.

Donald Beale's memoirs were also serialised in the S&D Trust Bulletin and were subsequently published as one of the Trusts Blue Books although the exact title escapes me now.

I love these books having first read them in the early 1980's and never tire of reading of the exploits of young cleaners Donald Beale, Johnny Walker et el in and around Bath shed in the 1920's.

Jerry

This stunning MR 800 class 2-4-0 was built by John Greenwood for me in exchange for work on his Wadebridge layout.

Should be easy for John. It's just a big Beattie well tank with a tender. I just wonder what he will do with all that extra space inside.

Great modelling. That ladder of slips is exactly why St Ruth is not Penzance BTW.

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all but other than being head of persuasion I can't take credit for any of it.

Don, I'm going to see John at the end of Feb so will take my camera.

Andy, I still think you should call it Penzance :sungum:

Stuart, the trackwork is PCB soldered directly to the sleepers. As most people don't notice the lack of chairs on Highbury despite the fact its under their nose I decided not to bother on Bath. It also saves a huge amount of time which, on a project of this scale is important. On Tucking Mill, which only has half a dozen or so points, I did include chaiplates which I think was worth it.

Jerry

• Like 1

Thanks all but other than being head of persuasion I can't take credit for any of it.

Don, I'm going to see John at the end of Feb so will take my camera.

Andy, I still think you should call it Penzance :sungum:

Stuart, the trackwork is PCB soldered directly to the sleepers. As most people don't notice the lack of chairs on Highbury despite the fact its under their nose I decided not to bother on Bath. It also saves a huge amount of time which, on a project of this scale is important. On Tucking Mill, which only has half a dozen or so points, I did include chaiplates which I think was worth it.

Jerry

Thanks for explaining that Jerry,

The track looks wonderful and, like you say, the lack of chairs doesn't detract in anyway and, I totally understand how much time this can save, besides its only nerds like myself that might notice anyway.

Work like this inspires people like me, so thanks and please keep posting

Rgds,

Stuart

• RMweb Gold

Jerry  a good point about your track. I had to take a good look to see how you made the track and that was after I had decided that Highbury was one good layout. The difference is only noticeable if you actually look for it. Besides my admitedly limited experience with Easitrac turnouts suggests that some PCB timbers are needed to give strength especially for an exhibition layout. When you have built a double slip (not in 2mm yet by me) you discover there are odd bits of rail with not a lot of fixings so I suggest that quite a few PCB timber would be advisable. At which point the question of whether to go all PCB for slips becomes pertinent.

Don

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Fantastic Jerry - This is going to be some layout.

Enjoy that well deserved bottle of wine and please 'dish it' on the crumble :D

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 1

Well I don't suppose that the sight of somebody else's acreage of bare plywood is the most exciting of updates but I'm pretty excited. Spare time over the last few weeks has been spent turning lumps of 9mm ply and some softwood offcuts into the last remaining boards for Bath. Well almost as I still have the Midland fiddle yard to do and proper connections/dowels etc. Its a major milestone as the day when I can start track laying is coming ever closer. Below are a few snaps taken on my phone this evening before coming into the house for a celebratory bottle of wine (which has resulted in my volunteering Kim to make rhubarb crumble for Captain K - but that's another story!!)

Wow Jerry, it's really come along in the two weeks since I was last in your shed! Even I am getting pretty excited by your rapid progress with the benchwork (not to mention the prospect of Kim's rhubarb crumble... hopefully at Taunton). Keep at it matie, this is going to be one 'ell ova 2-mil layout!  :declare:  :locomotive:    

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Jerry all looks pretty solid. It will be good to have room for your engines to stretch their legs. I cannot see that lot comming out for an exhibition. BTW I like the look of the viaduct just on the edge of the last photo.

Don

• Like 1

I am really impressed by this Jerry and it brings back memories of living in Bath during the last days of the S&D. Devonshire tunnel was a good shortcut when I was on cross-country runs. Inspirational stuff!

• Like 1

Guest Natalie Graham

I cannot see that lot comming out for an exhibition

Especially as the 'legs' seem to be a television set and a DVD player. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Jerry all looks pretty solid. It will be good to have room for your engines to stretch their legs. I cannot see that lot comming out for an exhibition. BTW I like the look of the viaduct just on the edge of the last photo.

Don

Thanks Don. That's Tucking Mill viaduct - see here  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52042-tucking-mill/

Wow Jerry, it's really come along in the two weeks since I was last in your shed! Even I am getting pretty excited by your rapid progress with the benchwork (not to mention the prospect of Kim's rhubarb crumble... hopefully at Taunton). Keep at it matie, this is going to be one 'ell ova 2-mil layout!  :declare:  :locomotive:    

Hi Phil, I had a couple of baseboards to do for a customer so whilst there was sawdust flying around the workshop I thought I might as well take advantage! Kim has tentatively agreed on the crumble plan...... 

I am really impressed by this Jerry and it brings back memories of living in Bath during the last days of the S&D. Devonshire tunnel was a good shortcut when I was on cross-country runs. Inspirational stuff!

Hi Gruffalo, the opening of the twin tunnels in April will mean you can take that short cut again!

That's coming along splendidly Jerry. Must be time to book it in for a show soon.

What's the roundhouse for though? - expansion at Tucking Mill perhaps?

Regards, Andy

Hi Andy, it is booked but not for a few years yet!! As for the roundhouse, well that's a card mock up of St Blazey - I'm doing the buildings on a little John Greenwood project but don't tell anyone!!

Jerry

• Like 4