Bath Queen Square

queensquare

Ah - you've done it in North Somerset Light livery I see ;)

Seriously though, looking really good. I'm sure it will outshine (sorry, coundn't resist that one!) the RTR offerings... as well as being to the correct scale of course.

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah - you've done it in North Somerset Light livery I see ;)

Regards, Andy

Funny you should mention that Andy. I have a slowly growing number of MR and SDJR locos and coaches that all sport this livery - at some point I am going to have to crack out the red and blue paint (black for the 4F)!!

Jerry

• Like 1

Funny you should mention that Andy. I have a slowly growing number of MR and SDJR locos and coaches that all sport this livery - at some point I am going to have to crack out the red and blue paint (black for the 4F)!!

Jerry

N gauge DCC fitted or unfitted coaches then??? 

N gauge DCC fitted or unfitted coaches then???

Nearly spat my tea all over my keyboard when I saw this post, thinking what Jerry would be muttering about it.

Must admit though Jerry, as always a great advocate of our 'scale' ;-);-);-)

Regards

Neal.

• Like 1

That last grovel was almost finescale!

Lovely work on the 4F Jerry - one of those pictures where it's incredibly difficult to know what the scale is.

I've got one of Mike's etches lurking somewhere - must dig it out and get it built. Maybe a job for the Christmas break ...

Regards,

David Varley

I'm hoping to have it all finished and painted by the time the new Bach/Farish 4Fs arrive  :cry:

Ahhh but Jerry, the saving grace of all your efforts is (as I know you know):

a ) Your Raithby etched 4F is to the correct scale. No other pumped-up substitutes will suffice :nono: ; and

b ) You built it!! Nowt like the pleasure of creating it yourself, so it WILL be worth all the effort.  :good:

Super fine lookin' loco there, pardner. Hard to tell the scale, etc... I know it'll be doubly good when finally completed and under its elegant red mantle. Can't wait to see it!!!  :sungum:  

Edited by Phil Copleston

I think Gruffalos should come over to the 'light' side; i.e. 7mm scale.....  Their paws should be able to cope with that! :jester:

(Thinks: Gruffalos roasted on a spit over an open fire, stuffed with sweet chestnuts...   :O )

Hat and coat on.

Just occasionally this Gruffalo allows a GP to temporarily stuff something into him for test purposes but it won't be allowing any modeller - regardless of the scale in which they work - to be putting anything where the sun don't shine!!!

To give myself a break from trackwork I am continuing my campaign of trying to finish stuff  before I start something new and have spent this afternoon progressing the Raithby 4F which I started several years ago. The tender is finished and the loco is just short of a few details on the running plate and footplate/backhead. The chassis requires brakes, sandboxes and balance weights.

She will be finished as 3878 c.1922 with the MR coat of arms on the cabside and large numbers on the tender and work trains into Bath from the midlands.

attachicon.gifIMG_0942a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0943a.jpg

I'm hoping to have it all finished and painted by the time the new Bach/Farish 4Fs arrive  :cry:

Jerry

Looks superb Jerry!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all your kind comments. The 4F is now finished and being prepped for the paintshop - it may get done somewhat quicker than my usual glacial pace being plain black! 

I was going to either continue with trackwork or even some of the coaches I started a couple of years ago but I'm afraid my resolve not to start anything new broke this weekend - I have done pretty well to be fair!!

I have made a start on the MR 850 class 3P 4-4-0 which will haul the Manchester Diner in to Bath double heading with my 800 2-4-0. She will be finished in late MR red as No. 766 and as an oil burner which she ran as for a while in the early 1920's.

post-1074-0-37012300-1387150037_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-76627100-1387150076_thumb.jpg

Only the basic carcase is done so far and the cab/firebox/boiler assembly and footplate will not be joined until the chassis is put together so that I can check clearances.

Jerry

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jerry,

The 4-4-0 is looking good - usually a good wheel arrangement to ensure a nice looking loco.

What is its origin? Are we looking at a scratchbuild or is there some etchery going on here?

Regards, Andy

Thanks Andy,

there is definitely some etchery going on. I got the etches from Nick Dearnley many moons ago, they are reductions from a 4mm kit so do require a bit of fettling but not too much and, so far have gone together pretty well. I don't know if I will be able to use any of the chassis yet as it has cut outs for hornblocks - it may be easier to simply make a new one although that in the kit has some rather nice spring detail - we shall see.

I don't know how much further I will take this at the moment as I really ought to get the rake of coaches finished - I just had an itch to put the basic body together which I couldn't resist scratching! Again, we shall see.

For those of a Midland persuasion I think Nick may have a few of these left.

Jerry

I don't know if I will be able to use any of the chassis yet as it has cut outs for hornblocks - it may be easier to simply make a new one although that in the kit has some rather nice spring detail - we shall see.

Sprung hornblocks in 2mm would be interesting... and with a 4-4-0 you don't need to worry about jointed coupling rods ;)

• RMweb Gold

Having itched the scratch and put the basic body of the 3P together I am now going to revert to what I really should be doing next - finishing the eight coach rake of Midland clerestories that I started three Christmases ago. The pictures below were taken a couple of years ago and the coaches have progressed a bit since then but remain far from finished.

The origins are a mixture of PC reductions (now available from Ultima I think) and some I got from Chris Higgs. The two catering vehicles are Bill Bedford sides and were a real pig to put together as they come in various bits to allow for the recessed doors. I will put a more complete description of the consist up in the next few days when I have dug out the box file they currently live in.

post-1074-0-81907900-1387327520_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-06797000-1387326414_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-16175800-1387326447_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-02976400-1387326507_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-99271300-1387326532_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well its been a productive Christmas break. In order to keep me in the fold and not allow me disappear down the workshop I was granted permission to set up camp with my portable work bench at the bureau in the corner of the front room for the duration so I was able to whittle away all evening and still be in the of the family as they sat through hours of naff telly!! The result is that all the coaches now have bogies and, with the exception of the two 65 footers, pretty much complete underframes.

Progress has now had to grind to a halt as I have been instructed to put all my toys away as we have friends round this evening to see in the new year. Unfortunately I've not taken any snaps of them yet but will get some up in the next week or so. For those that are interested details of the coaches being built are as follows;

D470    Bain 54' BCK  (Chris Higgs)

D473    Clayton 54' TK  (ex PC)

These first two form the Liverpool portion

D571     65' RF   (Bill Bedford sides)

D572     65'  TO   (Bill Bedford sides)

D560     Bain 54' TK  (Chris Higgs)

D467     Bain 54'  BFK  (Chris Higgs)

These four are the Manchester section. The six coaches above was the normal loading for the Diner/Pines but during the height of the summer this would often be increased to eight so I have added a couple of strengtheners.

D475    Bain 54' BTK  (Chris Higgs)

D469    Clayton  54' CK (ex PC)  

Happy New year all, Jerry

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy,

there is definitely some etchery going on. I got the etches from Nick Dearnley many moons ago, they are reductions from a 4mm kit so do require a bit of fettling but not too much and, so far have gone together pretty well. I don't know if I will be able to use any of the chassis yet as it has cut outs for hornblocks - it may be easier to simply make a new one although that in the kit has some rather nice spring detail - we shall see.

I don't know how much further I will take this at the moment as I really ought to get the rake of coaches finished - I just had an itch to put the basic body together which I couldn't resist scratching! Again, we shall see.

For those of a Midland persuasion I think Nick may have a few of these left.

Jerry

Hello Jerry,

I built one of these kits about 20 years ago. I scratchbuilt the chassis using a 38:1 worm on the front driving wheel axle, with a Faulhaber 1016 in the tender. I did an article for the Mag c.1992 (the building of 40743) which you could look up to see how not to do it! Please let me know if you do want any more info.

Nig H