National Carriers Livery and Signage

D1059

Can anyone point me at a source of information (preferably online) for signage and road vehicle liveries and lettering relating to NCL from the 1969 - 1970 period please ?

City Basin Goods will have a small NCL sundries depot, and I would like to include the distinctive large yellow signs and a couple of lorries which were such a feature around goods yards from the late 60's and 70's.

So far, apart from a couple of distant photos I can't find much and really could do with some artwork that can be edited and printed.

Thanks in anticipation

STEVE

Hi Steve,

I'd got a side on shot of a mechanical horse trailer in Bury Transport Museum.

I've straightened and cleaned the image up, removed the seams and rivets and hopefully this may be of use for that period.

NCL.jpg

I've also converted it to a gif with transparent background if you wanted to create transfers to sit over a yellow paint job.

NCL.gif

• Like 5

Hi Steve,

I'd got a side on shot of a mechanical horse trailer in Bury Transport Museum.

I've straightened and cleaned the image up, removed the seams and rivets and hopefully this may be of use for that period.

post-1-0-27970600-1330601366_thumb.jpg

I've also converted it to a gif with transparent background if you wanted to create transfers to sit over a yellow paint job.

post-1-0-33039700-1330601831_thumb.gif

That looks useful Andy.

Best to check with photos though, as I'm not sure that any of the preserved ones carry the logo convincingly.

Merf.

A couple of photos of dubious quality.

post-7009-0-07128700-1330616049_thumb.jpg

Holdenhurst Rd. Depot, Bournemouth.

post-7009-0-21940100-1330616165_thumb.jpg

Northcote Rd. Depot (In background), Bournemouth.

Edited by Ceptic

Thanks Ceptic - do you know when those pictures date from please ? I have a feeling that the style depicted dates from later in the 70's and early 80's whereas my failing memory thinks the original 1969 depot signage looked more like that shown by Andy Y

Whoops ! That'll teach me to read the 'small print'.

Well deduced, Steve.

The photos were taken in 1982/3. I hadn't noticed an earlier change in the depot's signage, though.

Cheers, Frank.

I have had a good look at my collection and can confirm that the original logo as in Andy's picture was used on vehicles painted or delivered up to about 1974, after which there seems to be a mixture of styles with the new "NATIONAL CARRIERS" style.

I notice that Base Toys copied the preserved Townsman for their Bantam & trailer, but Corgi has a better rendition of the logo on their 'Noddy' van.

Merf.

• 2 years later...

And uniform wise they wore either a black donkey jacket with leather shoulder and cuffs with a white flash on the right sleeve (for handsignals from delivery vehicles) and the NCL yellow logo on both lapels or a grey waist length jacket with the logo over the left pocket, I'll post photos of the ones in my collection later.

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/03/2012 at 10:44, Boris said:

Sorry for digging up an old thread , when was NCL formed? And am I right in thinking the depots were served by goods vehicles and 'parcels ' stock ie NPCCS ?

10 minutes ago, russ p said:

Sorry for digging up an old thread , when was NCL formed? And am I right in thinking the depots were served by goods vehicles and 'parcels ' stock ie NPCCS ?

Jan. 1st 1969. Basically the new National Freight Corporation became the road distribution replacement for British Railways own road fleet. The railway side of things changed very little.

The parcels side of the business had NCL vehicles liveried with Rail Express Parcels lettering and livery.

The freight side had mainly NCL livery vehicles.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Merfyn Jones said:

Jan. 1st 1969. Basically the new National Freight Corporation became the road distribution replacement for British Railways own road fleet. The railway side of things changed very little.

The parcels side of the business had NCL vehicles liveried with Rail Express Parcels lettering and livery.

The freight side had mainly NCL livery vehicles.

Cheers  Merfyn, I'm now wondering if I can move my timeframe into 69 as an NCL seems quite appealing