Card (or alternatives)

I've just returned from a fruitless journey into the mad Xmas argy bargy and grid lock that is known as Reading :mad:

I visited the retailer Hobbycraft in the misguided belief they sold everything "artist" and "hobby" related.

On my shopping list were the following: (as listed on the Scalescene's instructions)

2mm card

1mm card

200gsm card

matt spray varnish

Nothing!

After asking a rather young, attractive, but plainly ignorant, shop assistant (Xmas temp) who informed me that they do not stock card! I found something called "gray board" - a rough and very feeble gray material in an unspecified thickness (well specified in gsm 300) that looked as if it had been produced from recycled news print - or worse. They also had just about every colour of 150gsm "card" (I would have called it stout paper) under the sun (and a few other weird colours besides).

So I thought where does everyone obtain their card - or are there better alternatives that can be obtained?

It is not the sort of thing I wish to send off for and get bent and squashed as it is forced through the letter box or left on the doorstep in the rain.

So I was thinking has anyoune used foam board, mdf, plasticard (yes I know they don't fold - but worked around that)?

This rather poor start has put me off the kits (my first attempt). Well set me back quite a bit and thinking about alernatives.

• RMweb Gold

Try 'the Range' if you have one near(ish) to you - I was in the one in Bursledon this morning and they have a good range of artists mount board and other assorted card, as well as spray mount, glues, varnishes etc. Quite reasonable too.

edit - Ah, I see a problem, don't think there is one near Reading. If you come across one on your travels though could be worth a visit.

Do you have a picture framers in Reading? Ask about offcuts of mounting board, Also try your local Art supplier for Foam board - or even W.H.S or Staples. It may also be worth chatting to your local printers and local Signmakers - speak nicely to the manager of your local supermarket - those hanging Christmas signs will be coming down soon, and he may be only too pleased to have someone take them away - Also shops having "promotions" - you'd be amazed how helpful some people will be.

• RMweb Gold

Do you know anyone who buys British Standards in hard copy? they generally come shrink wrapped to nice 1mm grey card that is identical to the stuff that Metcalfe use for the plain unseen areas of their kits. I just double it up when I need 2mm... Thinner stuff can be gleaned from cereal packets .....

Do you have a picture framers in Reading? Ask about offcuts of mounting board, Also try your local Art supplier for Foam board - or even W.H.S or Staples.

Foam board and plasticard I have a plenty - hence the question if anyone had used it for Scalescenes.

Should I have been enquiring about "mounting board" rather than card?

I never thought of Staples (hmm they were just next door!) :(

hobby craft have a great range of card

Ahem! No they do not - that is what I was complaining about - surprisingly they were rather lacking in anything that would fit the list. Or an accessible member of staff with any product knowledge.

Doesn't have to be Reading - anywhere that can be accessed easily and doesn't have the ghastly Xmas herd.

Try the Gunn Street Gallery in, er, Gunn Street behind Heelas. They do all sorts of art and craft supplies.

Never heard of them - well have now ;) Thanks - if I can dig up the courage to brave Reading again next week, I will try there.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kenton,

I've been using foamboard when building scalescenes kits. Got tired with width of card not to spec. You say you've got some already but want to know what the result are like, look at my layout thread. inc link to where I buy foamboard from. Delivery was prompt and all packed in two bits of 5mm board. Ideal for scenary (bridges etc).

hope this helps

rgds

del00

• RMweb Premium

I agree, the cost is not cheap, but it is foamboard, and it is 1mm and 2mm as required by scalescenes kits. While searching, I look at the guys that you buy from, but 5mm is too deep, regardless of price.

del00

del00 and Mickey - thanks for the links re foamboard supplies.

The description is different on the two sites - which prompts me to ask "what actually IS foamboard?"

The stuff I have is similar to that described in del00's link a spongy but fairly dense foam (I wouldn't describe it as polystyrene) sandwiched between two layers of plastic (pvc?) not as described in Mickey's link "extruded polystyrene foam with card and paper liners."

The stuff I have is a little on the thick side at 3mm.

I also have some other "foam board" which isn't foam board at all. taken from estate agents "for sale" boards. This is more like the corrugated cardboard that goes to make boxes but is made of pvc. It is far more rigid than foamboard described above and cuts easier. At 5mm this is great for structures but I'm not sure if it is any use for Scalescenes kits.

• RMweb Gold

del00's stuff is Foamex - a sort of extruded PVC foam. It is stronger and more rigid than Foamcore/Kappa Board (the polystrene/card sandwich).

Foamex will take screws and not fray around the edges. Ideally it needs to be glued with a PVC-compatible adhesive as it is far more plastic-like than Foamcore which can be glued with PVA adhesive.

Neither of them will fold though. For that you need card.

Cereal packets are good for 1mm card and the greyboard that you found makes good 2mm card.

• RMweb Gold

Just to say Gunn Street Gallary has gone these days and is yet another clothes shop in Reading. the gutting thing is that it was the one place in Reading i knew off that sold various thickness of card right up to 2mm.

If you do need 2mm card, Hobby craft do 2mm mount board, but only by huge sheets. I have used this with scalescenes sheets to make my own terraced houses.

if you ever visit Alton model shop, there is an art shop about 5 doors down towards town, but if memory serves they do mount board but not card that is about 1mm thick, but it may be worth a visit if you are over that way.

I am about to try the back of A4 pads as 15 backs came in to my possesion after clearing out a set of desks once a supplier to our company vacated them following a projects completion. I'll try this for my challenge layout.

• RMweb Gold

I asked our local indoor market framing shop where they got their mount cutter from (cuts at an angle), as I wanted to glue card together to form corners of buildings. "Oh, don't bother with that, you can have the card we throw away" - next visit I was presented with a banana box full of A5 sized 2mm mount card, all cut with an angled edge. This should last me forever !

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for clearing that up Ian, I was a bit confused myself. I use impact adhesive, a bit hardcore but effective.

Sorry Pirouets, but the card in Hobbycraft, certainly the Romford branch, is Daler mounting board and is 1.5mm or 0.75mm. I used this originally, but wanted something a bit more accurate.

ta

del00

• RMweb Premium

Just to say Gunn Street Gallary has gone these days and is yet another clothes shop in Reading.

That's a real shame. Whilst it wasn't a shop I visited very regularly (which I guess is part of the problem), it was a real Aladdins' cave for stuff that I needed every now and then.

Hello :)

Instead of using card you could always use plasticard for the basis of whatever you are building. You can print off the scalescenes thingy and them stick it to the plasticard by painting on Met-Pak / Plastiweld onto the paper while holding it against the plasticard. It doesnt effect the ink and it isnt messy.

Its how I make my buildings for Highclere.

Missy :)

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

Best not to use Mek or any solvents to laminate large areas of plasticard to something as you can get warping. Try using double sided tape instead as is much faster and wont warp. However you do need to be pretty sure that you have everything right before you stick!

Cheers

Jim

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A4-Grey-Board-1000micron-Stiffeners-9-Sheet-Pack-New_W0QQitemZ130319318415QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Packaging_Materials?hash=item1e57a2fd8f

Tada!!!!

I bought some the other day. They do a load of other useful looking papers and cards too, so I think I'll be going back.

I found another place selling individual A2 sheets. http://www.charnwoodbooks.co.uk/ It works out cheaper per sheet, but the delivery was about a tenner. Plus A2 sheets are a pain to work with. A4 sheets are much easier.

Just to say Gunn Street Gallary has gone these days and is yet another clothes shop in Reading. the gutting thing is that it was the one place in Reading i knew off that sold various thickness of card right up to 2mm.

Thanks, that saved me from another journey to hell (Reading) and back.

if you ever visit Alton model shop, there is an art shop about 5 doors down towards town, but if memory serves they do mount board but not card that is about 1mm thick, but it may be worth a visit if you are over that way.

As if I needed an excuse, cheap or free parking if you're lucky - no crowds and a welcome greeting. I needed some flexitrack to replenish my stock and a couple of points and ... funny how when I'm there I spend more than intended.

Managed to get some 2mm and 200gsm card in that shop nearby but then forgot the matt varnish :D

I'm going to see how one of these goes together - perhaps use a shell of foamboard as support, even the 2mm card feels a bit flimsy when flat.

Archived