ECML 1959-61

davidw

After being layout less for over two years here's a couple shots of my layout based on the southern end of the ECML. the photos currently you can see is The Elizabethan. In reality the colour of the BG does match the rest of the train and a leeds train. In other photos my W1, and two incomplete djh kits. A Peppercorn A2 and Thompson A2/2 some the the build for the later can be found in a different thread.

post-96-0-11676500-1330724165_thumb.jpg

Showing part of the 16 road fiddle yard, this photo was taken a little while back the fiddle yard is now complete. The Thompsons in view are all resided Bachmann Thompsons using Comet, Southern pride and Bill Bedford etches. All now with roof mods; in due course when time and money allow the under frames will be butchered, probably replaced with comet. The MK1 brake is a BSO, again a resided Bachmann. I've two more in the to do pile!

post-96-0-19560100-1330724272_thumb.jpg

The w1 converted from an A4 by GK.

post-96-0-01206400-1330724389_thumb.jpg

The djh kits.

There are some very many great layouts and workmanship on RMweb. Thanks to all for the inspiration.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 14

Hi David,

Looks like some work is being done and you will have a nice 16 road fiddle yard for lots of stock. + one dead Pullman coach.

The W1 looks good too, GKing does a excellent job. What is the rest of the layout going to look like? Station, Goods yard, What is planned?

I have just bought myself a SEF original W1 to build, but must finish the Garratt, Coronation coaches, some wagons and the new improved control box (wiring). I have 5 of the Bachmann Thompson coaches which I picked up cheaply, I know they are not up to todays standards, but look the part. I will be attempting to convert a Hornby Gresley sleeper crimson & cream to a composite too.

Look forward to your progress.

Mark.

Good to see another ECML layout, David, particularly in the period you have chosen. Love the W1 as it's one of the few I've seen in model form. It was a strange one to a young lad back in the late 50's, but a very welcome addition to my ABC..

Looking forward to seeing some more pics and plans.

David,

Looks very interesting. Bit after my time though. Still, the ECML is the magnet, at least until 1961 when it all started to become just another main line.

My period, like Leaman Road, is 1948 - 52.

Together with yours and that, plus Peterborough, we will soon have a mammoth collection of information regarding the ECML and its services for the period "when trains were trains" !

gresley

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's been ages since I last posted in this thread - Well all the fiddle yard is now built and controled using SMD84 route setting decoders. Photo's to follow when I can connect the camera  to the computer.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

Still, the ECML is the magnet, at least until 1961 when it all started to become just another main line.

Oh. In my mind it survived pretty well, until they demolished Hatfield, and finally disappeared with the last of the lattice post semaphores. :(

The Nim.

• 7 months later...

Hi David -  it was one of the first prototypes that Graeme King built ( see www.lner.info) for his thread of the W1. All I did was weather it and add a decoder. Graeme I believe now supplies a set of resin parts to do the work - He may undertake the commission if that's what you want. I can name a couple of others who may be prepared it undertake the work if your interested.

There's a smashing shot of the W1 at the head of an 11 coach train on Tony Wright's thread.

I had an SE fincast W1 in the to do pile until i saw Graeme's work. 

Edited by davidw

Hi David -  it was one of the first prototypes that Graeme King built ( see www.lner.info) for his thread of the W1. All I did was weather it and add a decoder. Graeme I believe now supplies a set of resin parts to do the work - He may undertake the commission if that's what you want. I can name a couple of others who may be prepared it undertake the work if your interested.

There's a smashing shot of the W1 at the head of an 11 coach train on Tony Wright's thread.

I had an SE fincast W1 in the to do pile until i saw Graeme's work.

Thank David

I may consider that option later on, also need to see if 60700 ever got up to Edinburgh as well to keep the theme of HaymRket authentic.

Also I think you have done a stunning job on the weathering if I may say so.

Regards

David

Thank David

I may consider that option later on, also need to see if 60700 ever got up to Edinburgh as well to keep the theme of HaymRket authentic.

Also I think you have done a stunning job on the weathering if I may say so.

Regards

David

Thanks - I suspect it got to Newcastle - Gilbert Barnatt would probably say if it got further. Thanks for the complement on the weathering. My layout intention was originally a 1961-62 depiction - The W1 was so unusual that I altered my period slightly to 1959 - 62

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_06_2012/post-96-0-78959000-1340638747_thumb.jpg

Edited by davidw

It's a big roundy roundy...

The onlie true way for an ECML layout. How else can it function properly as 'the racetrack', with the gleaming fire breathing monsters rushing the services along.

...it survived pretty well, until they demolished Hatfield...

Late steam Hatfield is what I am working towards (very slowly) thus '34C'. It's a wonderfully entertaining location:

On the finest mainline.

Has the finest array of classes of wide firebox power belting past.

Can legitimately be operated with a huge selection of motive power.

Is relatively compact and has an interesting assymetricplatform arrangement on a curve.

Multiple phases of historical development of the station still clearly on view. (Anywhere else got a Prime Minister's waiting room?)

Yards both sides of the running lines.

Has a loco shed as it was formerly the inner suburban terminus, and is the junction for two (formerly three) branches.

Four signal boxes and a glorious lattice post signal gantry at the North end.

Despite all these assets, I have never yet seen it modelled, and as far as I know at the moment there is just Mark in Oz also planning a layout based on this location.

• Like 1

Thanks - I suspect it got to Newcastle - Gilbert Barnatt would probably say if it got further. Thanks for the complement on the weathering. My layout intention was originally a 1961-62 depiction - The W1 was so unusual that I altered my period slightly to 1959 - 62

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_06_2012/post-96-0-78959000-1340638747_thumb.jpg

Hi David

It's not a bad idea to broaden your time scale as it gives far more opportunities in using a wider range of locomotives especially in the pacific range.

You said you were working on a PDK A2/1, the last one 60508 was withdrawn in February 1961 so it would have only just made your dates providing you stick to 60508 Duke of Rothesay, the other three all went in 1960.

Also as you probably know many of the A3's by that time were fitted with German style smoke deflectors so that may limit your choice of which A3 you decide to have.

But your project looks pretty good all the same, please keep the photos coming as you progress.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Hi David

It's not a bad idea to broaden your time scale as it gives far more opportunities in using a wider range of locomotives especially in the pacific range.

You said you were working on a PDK A2/1, the last one 60508 was withdrawn in February 1961 so it would have only just made your dates providing you stick to 60508 Duke of Rothesay, the other three all went in 1960.

Also as you probably know many of the A3's by that time were fitted with German style smoke deflectors so that may limit your choice of which A3 you decide to have.

But your project looks pretty good all the same, please keep the photos coming as you progress.

Regards

David

You're quite correct - the A2/1 will be Duke of Rothsay I be modelling the southern end of the ECML. The A2/2 also being built will be Wolf of Badenoch also with drawn 61 (I think). Regarding the A3's over the 59 to 62 period. This gets harder as the all bar 22 of the class had received deflectors in the period. All had double chimney's. Post 62 some had the split handrail mod and lowered lamp iron - Here's where licence comes in. Where I've been flexible on the appearance.

I've 10 A3's: 60038 never received deflectors, 60039  deflectors fitted, 60044 no deflectors, bit fiited in reality in 61 , 60046 no deflectors, fitted I think  in 62,  60051 deflectors (fitted quite late 62), 60059 deflectors, 60064 no deflectors but i think was scrapped in 61, 60077 deflectors ( tempted to remove and rename/renumber to 60111), 60103 deflectors (fitted in 61) and 60107 deflectors in reality fitted in 62.  Historically if you look at the times that deflectors were fitted it is a real mishmash. I am insistent however that the loco has the correct boiler / tender combinations. 

I really appreciate the A3- to me the most handsome of loco's. More so than the A4's Even though I've 14 of them....  :no:

Of course in the 61/62 period deltics and brush type 4's were appearing too making the ECML very interesting. 

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

You're quite correct - the A2/1 will be Duke of Rothsay I be modelling the southern end of the ECML. The A2/2 also being built will be Wolf of Badenoch also with drawn 61 (I think). Regarding the A3's over the 59 to 62 period. This gets harder as the all bar 22 of the class had received deflectors in the period. All had double chimney's. Post 62 some had the split handrail mod and lowered lamp iron - Here's where licence comes in. Where I've been flexible on the appearance.

I've 10 A3's: 60038 never received deflectors, 60039 deflectors fitted, 60044 no deflectors, , 60046 no deflectors 60051 deflectors (fitted quite late), 60059 deflectors, 60064 no deflectors but i think was scrapped in 61, 60077 deflectors ( tempted to remove and rename/renumber to 60111, 60103 deflectors and 60107. Which if you look at the times that deflectors were fitted is a real mishmash. I am insistent however that the loco has the correct boiler / tender combinations.

I really appreciate the A3- to me the most handsome of loco's. More so than the A4's Even though I've 14 of them.... :no:

Of course in the 61/62 period deltics and brush type 4's were appearing too making the ECML very interesting.

David

If you do model the late fifties then the Bachmann Blue prototype Deltic DP1 would be a good addition.

I bought a weathered version from the National Railway Museum about three years ago, I prefer steam to diesels but I must say it is a stunning model.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• 1 month later...

Hi David, having lurked for nearly a year I've just found your layout following a post you made on Wright Writes. It'll be a real pleasure to watch a layout develop right from the start, particularly since my own layout, set in the north-east, is still a bit pre-thread just now. Hopefully, in the new year.

Seasonals,

Hal.

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND