The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

So it’s finally happening it seems,60’s for scrap :( on WNXX today

Three of the five Class 60s offered for sale during July have been sold to the scrap industry - these sales are confirmed, while two are reportedly purchased privately. The five Class 60s offered for sale by competitive tender by DBC were 60006 60050 60060 60081 & 60086 (all WQDA).

LocoPoolLocationSale

60006WQDATotonRon Hull, Rotherham

60050WQDATotonRaxstar

60060WQDATotonPrivate Sale

60081WQDATotonPrivate Sale

60086WQDATotonRon Hull, Rotherham

I wonder about the private sales though 

Edited by smithlington smithe
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Even though 60006, 50 and 86 have been sold to scrap merchants, don’t expect them to be reduced to razor blades quickly as they might be further sold on unless they can’t because of contractual agreements.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Even though 60006, 50 and 86 have been sold to scrap merchants, don’t expect them to be reduced to razor blades quickly as they might be further sold on unless they can’t because of contractual agreements.

Raxstar have already offered 60050 parts for sale in view of breaking it up for spares. Cab fittings and bogie spares are all up for sale, no mention of the prime mover though. There have been two adverts on social media already.

• Informative/Useful 3

On 22/10/2019 at 19:21, smithlington smithe said:

So it’s finally it happening it seems,60’s for scrap :( on WNXX today

Three of the five Class 60s offered for sale during July have been sold to the scrap industry - these sales are confirmed, while two are reportedly purchased privately. The five Class 60s offered for sale by competitive tender by DBC were 60006 60050 60060 60081 & 60086 (all WQDA).

LocoPoolLocationSale

60006WQDATotonRon Hull, Rotherham

60050WQDATotonRaxstar

60060WQDATotonPrivate Sale

60081WQDATotonPrivate Sale

60086WQDATotonRon Hull, Rotherham

I wonder about the private sales though 

WNXX now showing that 60081 is going to Locomotive services...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, smithlington smithe said:

Also does anyone have any info on what happened to 60021,a report on Sunday on WNXX saying  - “Tug on fire...
60021 (GBTG) has been attended to by the fire brigade at Bedlington while working the Lynemouth/Tyne circuit”

Cheers 

David 

60021 was rescued by 60047 after the fire was extinguished. Both are regulars on the Lynemouth - Tyne biomass trains.  Newly painted blue 60026 has also been working these trains recently.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, smithlington smithe said:

Nice to see 60046 out and about again for DCR 

60046 0Z60 Loughborough 30/10/19.

(Flickr link)

Particularly like this photo of the loco at it's birthplace.

On 25/10/2019 at 09:46, Alcanman said:

60021 was rescued by 60047 after the fire was extinguished...

Of note is that 60021 and 60087 were transferred to Toton today from Doncaster Belmont, presumably for repair of the former.

Jack.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
60055 Sileby 14/11/19.

(Flickr link)

55 has been out on test too to Loughborough, 11 years to the month after being withdrawn according to WNXX. Also 46 has run to Carlisle so could haul it’s first DC Rail train soon.

Jack.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Quite like the DCR stealth grey.

be nice if whoever brought 081 , if it comes back, puts it in the GWR green !

Apparently LSL have bought it, so presumably it's to be cosmetically restored and taken to Margate rather than for hauling posh charters

Jo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Yes, they still look quite modern to me. I spat my tea out when they started storing them in 2006-8 ( ?), but I guess the recession of the time with the 66s being cheaper almost put paid to them.

Agreed. Hard to believe they first appeared thirty years ago...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Agreed. Hard to believe they first appeared thirty years ago...

As it happens the first of the class is sat next to me in bescot at the mo

988F41B3-DE9E-41B9-A50D-A10E3951A002_1.j

Edited by big jim
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
On 15/11/2019 at 22:17, Steadfast said:

Apparently LSL have bought it, so presumably it's to be cosmetically restored and taken to Margate rather than for hauling posh charters

Jo

LSL will have their work cut out with 60081 as it was initially stored with a “leg out the bed” and it has a noticeable hole in the bodyside where the piston punched it’s way out.  Also with it being stored outside for so long, I dread to think what the internals are like.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

LSL will have their work cut out with 60081 as it was initially stored with a “leg out the bed” and it has a noticeable hole in the bodyside where the piston punched it’s way out.  Also with it being stored outside for so long, I dread to think what the internals are like.

If they intend to return it to working order then they may be speaking with Raxstar/Ron Hull about bits from 60050 etc or waiting for a better donor to come available for a new power unit. I am surprised they have bought it as there are bound to be better condition loco's come available. 

• Agree 3