The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

• RMweb Premium

Red 60091 worked 0C02 and 6K05 return today.

I couldn't arrange work to take time out to phot it, but did manage to "accidentally" get stuck at Daisyfield crossing in Blackburn at a "convenient" time............ At least my pupil now knows how to deal with manual gated crossings!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

60045 has been back on the Liverpool Coal circuit for a few days now. My show is of it coming off Olive Mount Chord, heading east to Fiddlers Ferry P.S. Taken 300412.

post-7052-0-20459400-1336039538_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Guest Phil

60045 has been back on the Liverpool Coal circuit for a few days now. My show is of it coming off Olive Mount Chord, heading east to Fiddlers Ferry P.S. Taken 300412.

Is that a model Roman, or is it really real !!!!!!!

Great shot and the backscene is very well camoflaged for the high level fiddle yard !!

That 60 above coming off the new chord at Olive Mount - how does it get to Fiddlers Ferry, is it via Earlestown & Warrington ?. If so it still needs a reversal at Warrington after crossing over the WCML. Why not via the direct route from Edge Hill to Fiddlers Ferry via Widnes, staying off the WCML ?.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

That 60 above coming off the new chord at Olive Mount - how does it get to Fiddlers Ferry, is it via Earlestown & Warrington ?. If so it still needs a reversal at Warrington after crossing over the WCML. Why not via the direct route from Edge Hill to Fiddlers Ferry via Widnes, staying off the WCML ?.

Brit15

Correct.

Whichever way it goes it needs a reversal at Arpley Junction and one other. Getting a path to cross to the Wappings at Edge Hill is not easy, there is only about a 5 minute window every hour (the Waterlools don't have access to the Wavertree Jcn line). Then climbing out of the Wappings up to Wavertree and crossing to the slow takes time.

At Winwick the coals run off the Earlestown line and straight onto the up slow, so only briefly crossing the WCML, and the frequency over that stretch is not that bad.

Swings and roundabouts ...

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

For info my shot of 60065 (post 1227) shows it joining the Olive Mount Chord at Edge Lane.. I ve been trying to capture some of the workings in as many different locations as possible before the wires go up.

Its an interesting thread this ...........long may it continue.!

Andy

• Like 2

Beast, thanks for the reply. Chord is also usefull for docks to northbound WCML & towards Manchester & Trans-Pennine routes, both not requiring reversals. Makes sense.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

60063 tugging 6B33 at Shrivenham yesterday - 15 mins after the sun had disappeared for good that day !! :angry:

Going thru a "it runs - it's sunny - I miss it" or "it runs - I see it - it's cloudy/raining" or "it's sunny - I'm there - it doesn't run / it's too late" phase atm.....just noticed I've blurred it too - Feck !!

Anyway, grateful that I have the opportunity to regularly photo this train.......... :imsohappy:

post-5198-0-12787000-1336576357_thumb.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking shot Tim. I saw the same train near St Albans as I was heading up to the midlands aboard a Meridian. Seeing a Tug always brightens my day.

Thanks Keith. You must have been on the one that went north about 5-6 minutes earlier! The sun was extremely touch and go that afternoon.......

Cheers,