The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

• RMweb Premium

I was out the other day for a DCR 31 with a Chiltern Mk3 when I got a text from a friend who'd been looking at TOPS. Lucky I didn't drive off as soon as the ped had gone, right place, right time springs to mind!

IMG_3259-60091-6B49-XL.jpg

60091 passes Callow Hill with 6B49 Llanwern - Swindon Stores, carrying steel for BMW Mini's panel factory in Swindon and running just over two hours late 30/1/15

jo

Thats something for the 'Things you don't usually see on layouts' thread, the 'cages' of stone (I think they are called caissons) used to reinforce embankments and cuttings.

• RMweb Gold

Thats something for the 'Things you don't usually see on layouts' thread, the 'cages' of stone (I think they are called caissons) used to reinforce embankments and cuttings.

They're called 'gabions'

• Like 1

Does anyone have any good photos of the grills square on please? I've had a look through this thread and couldn't see any- but at 82 pages it would be easy to miss.

I am trying to work out what the thickness of the structural beams- the vertical and diagonals- is. I suspect it is deeper than it is wide, but I haven't found a photo to confirm this. No 60's seem to come anywhere near me (unless at speed) and I can only measure another model, which is a no-no. If anyone knows the beam sizes, that would be helpful.

I am of course mindful that this thread is for discussions and not questions. But it's probably the best collection of people knowledgeable about 60's anywhere on planet earth.

Jo,

Many thanks for that.

Would it be OK if I was to download and print these out? For my OWN reference only of course.

(I started modifying a Lima 60 (cheaper than a Hornby) for practice and it's coming out so well that I want to finish it off and get it 'right'- I can see from the photos that the L60 grills are the wrong size for starters... More work!)

Thanks again.

Derek

Thanks again Jo.

I think that until I have found a way to install a central can motor in it, it's going to have to be a model of that highly elusive (on the basis that it doesn't actually exist) 60/9 that was fitted with extra radiators and charge coolers on the inside of the grills... thus hiding the motor.

EDIT: I've just seen the 'home' page of your site. There's a hell of a lot of good photographs there. I shall be busy this evening...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks again Jo.

I think that until I have found a way to install a central can motor in it, it's going to have to be a model of that highly elusive (on the basis that it doesn't actually exist) 60/9 that was fitted with extra radiators and charge coolers on the inside of the grills... thus hiding the motor.

Locate the motor at the other end and there's no need to hide it.

The interior parts at the other end can be

1. Hacked from lumps of plastic

or 2. Find an Appleby interior detailing kit (resin parts)

or 3. Find someone who's used a Hornby chassis under a Class 92 and doesn't need the Hornby interior detail parts.

A1 used to do two sets of grilles for Lima 60's - One that fits the Lima model and one that's the correct size...........

Can't remember which way the Lima grille is at fault - if it's too small - simple to hack out larger. If it's too large - fill the excess with a vertical strip of styrene and filler.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Hi Mick

Thanks- Shawplan used to do a interior kit (metal or resin). It is also Shawplan that does the grill- as you say, they are two different sizes, one for the Lima and one for the Hornby.

These grills are from the old Shawplan range, and whilst still very good (better than A1 or Craftsman quality IMO) they aren't as good as the latest 'extreme' range from Shawplan, so I might well see if I can cannibalise an extreme etching to provide the grill and make the frame out of plastic. I can get the correct dimensions from the photos kindly supplied by Jo.

As for the drive train- I have an idea for that (I am not an experienced modeller, but I did 'dabble' in precision engineering in a past life)- something that (on paper at least) should provide far more pulling power than a Bachmann 6 axle job... replicating the 60's reputation for power. But getting it off paper and into reality, now that'd be a challenge.

Michael,

That is really very good of you indeed. Thank you.

Would it be ok to download these? (for my own personal use and not re-distributed without your permission)

I thought the framework was built out of different sizes, but I didn't realise by how much until I saw those close ups.

I can see a multi pack of micro strip and a large (7mm roof fan) grill etch from Shawplan/EE will be needed.

Long live the 60's.

Thanks again Michael.

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

A few recent tug pictures from me.

IMG_3280-60054-6B33-XL.jpg

60054 leads 6B33 Theale - Robeston past Callow Hill 11/2/15

IMG_3285-60085-6V62-XL.jpg

60085 passes Callow Hill working 6V62 Tilbury Riverside - Llanwern 11/2/15

IMG_3310-60039-6B13-XL.jpg

60039 emerges from the drizzle at Magor working 6B13 Robeston - Westerleigh Murco 14/2/15

IMG_3359-60063-6B04-XL.jpg

60063 passes Duffryn working 6B04 Llanwern - Margam 14/2/15

Finally a shot of the first of the class yesterday:

IMG_3410-60001-6B33-XL.jpg

60001 passes Woodside Lakes, between Patney and Beechingstoke working a diverted 6B33 Theale - Margam, with the Alton Barnes white horse on the hill in the distance 7/3/15

jo

• Like 13