The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of class 60 action today in the north west.  60054 and 60039 top and tailed "The Mersey Weaver" special.  60039 brought the train on its own to Latchford sidings in Warrington were fellow class mate 60054 joined for the rest of the tour.

60039 on the rear at Old Walton Junction.

post-25512-0-82651000-1454185503_thumb.jpg

60054 on the front at Acton Bridge.

post-25512-0-15976400-1454185528_thumb.jpg

Then a crew change on the logs at Warrington Bank Quay.

post-25512-0-33133200-1454185780_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

According to rumours on the internet - from very good sources otherwise I wouldn't bother passing it on - DBS will withdraw all their 60s this week, the heavy trains will be double headed 66 worked.

Time will tell.

Withdrawal of the 60s is nothing but a rumour. Platform end wibble.

Just a shortage of 60s at Immingham this morning resulting in a pair of sheds on 6M35/6E54 Humber-Kingsbury and return.

People put 2 and 2 together last night when the sheds were allocated and got not 4 or anywhere near...

DBS own all its locos outright now.

Edited by B Exam

• RMweb Gold

Withdrawal of the 60s is nothing but a rumour. Platform end wibble.

Just a shortage of 60s at Immingham this morning resulting in a pair of sheds on 6M35/6E54 Humber-Kingsbury and return.

People put 2 and 2 together last night when the sheds were allocated and got not 4 or anywhere near...

DBS own all its locos outright now.

It's not platform end wibble as you so delicately put it - I don't pass on rumours without them coming from reliable sources.  It has NOTHING to do with the sheds on the Kingsbury last night.

It's not platform end wibble as you so delicately put it - I don't pass on rumours without them coming from reliable sources. It has NOTHING to do with the sheds on the Kingsbury last night.

I wasn't pointing the finger at you or anybody over the rumours.

Today was a test run to see if a single 66 could work 32 tanks into Kingsbury. The other 66 was there for insurance and was dead in tow or should of been. The maximum before today for a single 66 was 30 tanks.

From what I gather, there was some issues at Kingsbury when it reversed the tanks into the Sidings off the mainline.

There are no plans to DBS to rid themselves of the 60s just yet.

Today was a test run to see if a single 66 could work 32 tanks into Kingsbury. The other 66 was there for insurance and was dead in tow or should of been. The maximum before today for a single 66 was 30 tanks.

Some of the oil companies prefer a class 60 to be used if the loco is entering the oil terminal. A 60 has a full length fire extinguisher system, and a body construction style better able to contain an engine fire compared to a class 66 representing a challenge if an engine fire occurs on the refinery site. Source - my wife with 25 years in downstream oil production.

Mike Wiltshire

According to rumours on the internet - from very good sources otherwise I wouldn't bother passing it on - DBS will withdraw all their 60s this week, the heavy trains will be double headed 66 worked.

Time will tell.

I do hope not, it's the only interesting stuff DB has.

Didn't they just spend circa £800k on each engine overhauling them as well ?