The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

• 3 weeks later...

60074 on the, now infrequent, Shell tank from Newcastle to Humberside.Passing Rounton Gates between Stockton and Northallerton.
post-9992-0-21594700-1468112875_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-82567900-1468112876_thumb.jpg

And 60100 two weeks previous
post-9992-0-39949600-1468113132_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Crawley would have been a portion (probably the front one) on 7A09 from Merehead to Acton that morning which 60017 worked.

Here it is at Whatley on Wednesday morning, about 5.45 am.

post-6899-0-19240500-1470605331_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-85600000-1470605332_thumb.jpg

Please note the pictures were taken from a safe position and there were no rail movements being made at the time.

Jo

• Like 10

The Class 60's are still around for the time being anyway. I got 3 last in action. Two at Barnetby (DB Schenker) and one at Leicester (Colas). I still think the Class 60's have a future on the mainline if they replace the power units with something more modern. Maybe a Caterpillar V12 would be a better choice.

Anyway here is my photos.

60100 at Barnetby

28826715361_e205bc35a1_c.jpg

Class 60, DB Schenker 60100 by BritishRail60062, on Flickr

60020 at Barnetby

28875926302_31c94e7b09_c.jpg

Class 60, DB Schenker 60020 "The Willows" by BritishRail60062, on Flickr

60096 at Leicester

28944476816_888af1ab12_c.jpg

Class 60, Colas Rail 60096 by BritishRail60062, on Flickr

Got those three beasts in action last week and I was well pleased to get them. But sadly nothing will last forever. So we will have to enjoy it whilst we still can. Where I live, its very much Class 66 dominated as you don't get any Class 60's through Oakham anymore. So if I want to even get a chance of getting a Class 60 of any kind. Its Leicester in the evening or its a trek to Barnetby. Even then you won't be guaranteed a 60 as although I got 60100 on the 1808 passing through Barnetby on the Monday (8th of August 2016). 66162 was hauling the same train on the 10th at that time through there. Having said that, the Class 66 was struggling to pull it though. Poor thing.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The Class 60's are still around for the time being anyway. I got 3 last in action. Two at Barnetby (DB Schenker) and one at Leicester (Colas). I still think the Class 60's have a future on the mainline if they replace the power units with something more modern. Maybe a Caterpillar V12 would be a better choice.

If there's one thing that has helped the 60 survive (albeit in small numbers) it's the prime mover. The Mirrlees engine is one of the most fuel efficient lumps out there, using far less diesel than anything else on the main line for a specific task.

Re-engining would probably remove that advantage and would they even be able to fit a current day emission compliant engine in?

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the clarification on the Mirrlees units. I thought the problem was due to the MB units were going the same way as the Valentas on the HST in their later days. As for emissions though, surely a CRT (Continuous Regeneration Trap) filter could be added into the exhaust pod to make them Euro 4 compliant? If its a computer issue on the locomotives. Surely a firmware update or new software could be a solution there? If its the traction motors throwing a wobbly. Maybe using the new generation three-phase AC traction motors with regenerative braking to reuse power would be a solution?

Edited by BritishRail60062
  • Like 1

Hi Jim.

In terms of the CRT filter proposal. It is not as expensive as you might think and I am saying this because many companies like MAN, ZF and Voith etc make CRT (including those with the Ad-blue formula) filters that can and have been retrofitted into many older buses and trucks in the UK and Europe to bring them in line with the new emission requirements such as Euro 3/4/5. I am certain that if the research and technology used for road vehicles could be a solution to upgrade older locomotives like the Class 60 and perhaps even the Euro 1 Class 66's. As for the regenerative braking and the CPU upgrades. The Class 60 is pretty much a heavily computerised locomotive from the start and its a locomotive that still has a foreseeable future in service with FTOC's. To cut to the chase and if its necessary. The old CPU could be replaced with a new CPU that would allow compatibility with the new functions such as the three-phase AC traction motors with the regenerative braking system as the energy could be stored in high powered capacitors with a servo switch to give the traction motors some boost on hill starts without drawing too much from the power unit and that would save fuel comsuption. Or the energy could be used to recharge the batteries on the locomotive as well as power the other equipment where necessary.

In theory the upgrades for the Class 60 would still be considerably cheaper than buying a new locomotive because we already have the locomotive and the legacy Mirrlees power unit. Its a bit like when I build my PC. I already have the PSU and the PC tower case. But in order to use the new hardware like the newest graphics card, processor and the other newer components. I replaced the old obsolete motherboard with the newest one out and I have a new computer for about half the price of a brand new one. Also the cabs could also be refurbished and upgraded to have the newer control system such the new generation AWS/ATP display with perhaps an LCD monitor with live information to the driver and all controls would be located to a desktop a bit like the Class 67/68 and 70. HEP wouldn't be an issue though as Class 60's are only used on freight unless its Railtours or emergencies from what I have learned as the Class 60 has no HEP output. The max speed could be upped to about 80mph peak with some tuning to the gears and perhaps add six more gears and up shift the final drive gear from the traction motors so that the traction motors would not overheat and would less power at top speeds for heavy haul freight.

Although it sounds like a lot of work would be involved with upgrading the Class 60 to Euro 4/5 standards. It would be easier to do in practice than it looks to write on here as its not as expensive as it might appear :).

• Like 3

Anyone heard anything else about the possible demise of the Robeston - Theale flow ?

The WTT now has paths for a GBRf working to/from Theale and Immingham, but AFAIK they haven't been used yet

I hope this is an additional supplier and not a replacement. There is precious little freight around on the GWML west of Didcot as it is, especially on a Saturday

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Anyone heard anything else about the possible demise of the Robeston - Theale flow ?

The WTT now has paths for a GBRf working to/from Theale and Immingham, but AFAIK they haven't been used yet

I hope this is an additional supplier and not a replacement. There is precious little freight around on the GWML west of Didcot as it is, especially on a Saturday

Still running at the moment, yesterdays 6B33 Theale - Robeston ran with a 66 in charge, Todays 6B33 Theale - Margam has just rattled through Reading West Jn with 60091 in charge.

• Like 1

the shadows on that picture almost make it look like its in loadhaul livery!

It does look like loadhaul livery with the shadows. I apologise for the shadows I would normally go further up the platform, but there was people there and would have got them in the photo.

Regards, George.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil,

Off topic, but do you know which 66 that is behind 60091? Ask as I don't think I've ever seen a graffitied 66 before!

Martin

I couldn't read the number, it was straight behind the sand hopper !

Cheers,

Phil.