Photo location ID help please

Among recent scans of my slides from 1989, I can't locate any notes for this batch, so I hope someone here might be able to help:

1) Could this be Gamston, S of Retford? Slides just after this are of Lincoln Cathedral:

post-6971-0-69428000-1330871633.jpg

and the other two might well be Northants, as there's one between them on the roll at the canal museum at Stoke Bruerne, and earlier photos are at Kettering, which would make sense for me heading back home from Lincoln to Oxfordshire:

2) viaduct and water must be recognisable, but is it a canal? No towpath?

post-6971-0-95109300-1330871635.jpg

3) WCML, possibly where the Northampton line diverges?

post-6971-0-21211100-1330871638.jpg

Thanks in advance. Pity they're not more interesting, but there you go.

Definitely not a canal in the second one. Either a drainage ditch or a small river although my money is on the former. The bridge is an accommodation bridge and non standard. There is a 440Vac power pylon in the right mid background but the cables are washed out in the print. Certainly a sign of farming rather than domestic.

With country that flat but that green and trees abundant, it could very well be the western edge of East Anglia

Middle one could be the Haversham Viaduct over the River Ouse just north of Wolverton

I Google mapped that. Not quite right but it could be.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Wolverton&hl=en&ll=52.072333,-0.811103&spn=0.000884,0.002642&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.940309,43.286133&oq=wolverton&hnear=Wolverton,+Milton+Keynes,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=19

It is now a certainty but it does occur to me that the Google Map image does not show that accommodation bridge and the river looks wider and witha stronger current over some sort of weir.

We know that the OP is 1989 and I am fairly sure that Google Maps free issue is 2007ish. So what date is the defining image posted by Ramrig?

Thanks for the replies so far:

No1 probably Gamston.

No2 Ouse viaduct at Wolverton. There's even a photo linked from the Google Maps, at http://www.panoramio.../photo/33905021

No3 looks like Roade from Courteenhall Road, although they've put some kind of access road in since 1989, visible in this google maps link

Once again, thanks for all the help.

Pity they're not more interesting, but there you go.

Not more interesting...? a 110mph WCML rake (with two buffets) and an IC Mainline liveried 90 (90026-90036) would have dated the photo down to a few months in 1989, had you not already given the year.

If you pull the Google map over to the right David, the bridge is there on the left....

Yes indeed, so it is! I was right it is a drainage ditch. Isn't it wonderful how your brain assumes something and then you look only for the assumption!

Not more interesting...? a 110mph WCML rake (with two buffets)...

I was beginning to lose interest a bit in 1989!

Anyway, you've got better recognition powers than me - which two coaches are buffets, and how can you tell? I can see the third coach has extra bits on the roof and what looks like a half-red, half-yellow line above the windows, but the other one? Is it what I'd assumed was overhead line equipment?

I was beginning to lose interest a bit in 1989! Anyway, you've got better recognition powers than me - which two coaches are buffets, and how can you tell? I can see the third coach has extra bits on the roof and what looks like a half-red, half-yellow line above the windows, but the other one? Is it what I'd assumed was overhead line equipment?
The 7th coach also looks like a buffet, I've not yet enhanced the photo but it does look like it has the extra vents and half a yellow line. At first I thought it might be a combined Glasgow/Edinburgh set that joined at Carstairs, but there are too many Mk3's and only one brake vehicle so is probably a Pullman working. Edit: It does have two brakes, the second coach is a BFO- the yellow line doesn't run along the whole Cantrail length...

The 7th coach also looks like a buffet, ...two brakes, the second coach is a BFO- the yellow line doesn't run along the whole Cantrail length...

Well spotted. Here's a blown-up crop, showing what you said above. Ta.

post-6971-0-62221800-1330974521.jpg

The 7th coach also looks like a buffet, I've not yet enhanced the photo but it does look like it has the extra vents and half a yellow line. At first I thought it might be a combined Glasgow/Edinburgh set that joined at Carstairs, but there are too many Mk3's and only one brake vehicle so is probably a Pullman working. Edit: It does have two brakes, the second coach is a BFO- the yellow line doesn't run along the whole Cantrail length...

The formation looks to be BG, BFO, RFM, 3*FO, RFM, 5TSO which is probably an up Mancheter Pullman. Given the rape in the feild its May 1989.

Manchester Pullman

If I look at the FOs on the blown up version and the original scan, I think I can see white names on the red stripes - the Mk3 replacements for the Mk2 pullmans did have names didn't they?

• RMweb Premium

yes they did, not sure if from new or added later though. the mk3 'pullman' FOs and the 3 BFOs were actually mk3b, which had detail differences from the standard LH mk3a. built in electric tail lights (as on the sleepers) are one, i think. also looks like they had the square-ish HST-style a/c pod on the roof ends, instead of the three 'roevac' style vents of the mk3a (notice the difference between the TSO roofs and the rest of the train. iirc the RFMs had the HST-style pods)

I don't think it would have had a set designation at this time, but those coaches probably became WB61, 62, or 63, one of the three "Super Pullman" sets. Thirteen FO's from 11074 to 11093 carried names.

The loco also has an emergency red screw coupling on it's drawhook, as authorisation to use the buckeye couplings on 90's was withdrawn at this time. See, not so boring after all....!!

Archived