Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

BNSF 880035, An almost clean tank car

The idea with this car is to capture the light subtle weathering that a nearly new car soon acquires.

I started this off in the main tank car group build thread, so won't repeat those shots here. Today's progress was a misting from the top downwards, of very thinned Tamiya German grey.

Firstly, a harsh flash shot which shows the streaking and grime running down the tank:

post-7346-0-42109500-1330886456.jpg

Looks pretty rough but in natural light the effect is much nicer:

post-7346-0-47803600-1330886463.jpg

post-7346-0-45867200-1330886478.jpg

I still need to work on the spray of road grime underneath - like hoppers the wheels throw up a visible trace on the underside of the tank. In contrast, here is a pristine out of the box car - the differences are subtle but worthwhile.

post-7346-0-48803800-1330886471.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Pete, I can't remember! I probably mixed it up from Revell Acrylics - I find they give a good flat finish. I have tried Vallejo but they don't seem to adhere so well to metal without a primer, and I don't want to mess around spraying primer on wheels! Pelle Soeborg (?Spelling?) uses Modelmaster Dark Skin Tone which looks pretty good in photos but I've never seen it for sale over here - you might have better luck though. I think Humbrol "Chocolate" is a pretty good match. For the tank car I went for a more fresh rust look to make the wheels seem newer - they darken down when in use I think.

Archived