Newnham Dock

Edge

Hi there,

Well, I seem to have been floating around here for the past year or so contributing precisely nothing of my own making to the forum apart from the odd smartass comment. So, I thought it prudent to add my own two cent's worth at last.

This is my first scenic model railway of any description, so please be nice.

Newnham dock will be a 009 model railway served by a fictional company of my own devising (the G&OR). The idea borows heavily from Dunbracken (thanks Invercloy), but will allow a tad more operation. Track plan is below:

IronBoardUltimate-1.jpg

I am currently improving all of the stock that I made a dogs dinner of ,broke, was badly designed (yes, that's what it was) and hope to have at least a baseboard done by the new year. I plan for it to be DCC, but I will stick to DC for the time being, as my budget isn't too generous. Engine number 4 'Alan' will be outshopped once she has a chassis, and will be joined in short order by a diesel loco, 'Keith'.

Let'shope that they have somewhere to run, eh?

Comments on the trackplan would be appreciated.

See ya,

Edge

Can't find fault with that - well it is very similar to Sychpwll (that I haven't put a plan up for yet) - so I couldn't could I :D

I am intrigued by what is going to occupy that big semi-circular area in the middle ?

Do I count FIVE points :D

• RMweb Premium

A suggestion, straighten the shed line slightly then remove some of the baseboard so people can get inside the layout, making it feel like they are inside a circular layout? just trim the edge of the board with sea wall to ensure continuity.

Yes you do count five points. Nothing wrong in that is there?

On the contrary it's a bonus - part of the 2010 challenge was to celebrate the fifth anniversary of RMWeb. I believe the 5 points was one of Kenton's suggestions. So the more way's you can incorporate 5 into the scheme the better!

Okay. Am abandoning the DCC idea for the immediate future. The layout wiring simplicity to me is outweighed by the extra cost and increased loco complexity. I may go back to DCC later, butwill probably stick to a version of cab control for the original layout.

Brand new N-drive chassis has arrived for 'Alan', a Chivers whitematal kit of 'Edward Thomas'. The *&^%ing thing doesn't fit. Grrr. Will have to do some chassis surgery, but ive left all of my tools up in Hull. Can't test to se if the thing is running wither, as all of the track I have is up in Hull as well. :blink:

Still, another two locos are in the works. 'Repulse' and 'Keith'.

Hope to break ground on the baseboards just after Christmas.

Think positive. Think Positive. Think Positive.

Archived