RMweb is now part of the Warners family

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Others have said it all, but a big "well done" from me nevertheless!

In today's world, security and stability are increasingly rare and I'm glad to see that you and our site (just so long as it remains "our" site that is) appear assured of both.

All the best for the future!

As others have already said, good to hear of a solid futre for yourself and this place that we call home

A bolt from the blue, but the assurances are comforting, and the need for Andy Y to have a roof over his head for the future is a great relief for those of us who had concerns.

Onwards and upwards, RMWeb!

Indeed, good as scalescenes kits are, I don't think they're very waterproof or warm...

Congratulations Andy!

I did have initial concerns about a continued independent slant for RMWeb when I read the banner but I feel reassured by your comments. I hope that the spirit of the site is maintained and that it doesn't become too 'corporate' in nature. This could well be a 'win/win' situation for all concerned and maybe it's the shot in the arm Warners have needed these last few years.

A startling development but well done Andy for securing your and the Forum's future. Turning a hobby into a occupation is not always a good move but I imagine in the past running RMweb has seemed a most un-hobby like job.

This must something of a first with a commercial company taking over a long established forum so to some extent you'll be writing the rule book for this one.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

The menu options at the bottom of the screen are hard to read with dark blue on medium blue.

Yes they are, but I'm sure Andys future livelihood is somewhat more important, maybe a post in the Fault Reporting section would be better ?

I wouldn't normally post on here unless I felt I was adding something new... but this calls for an exception to add my congratulations and good wishes for the future. Back in 2005 it must have taken a tremendous leap of vision to set up RMWeb and then a lot of hard work to get it where it is today. Well done.

Alan

TBH not as big a surprise as it might seem.

Good or bad - well, time as always, will tell. I think Warners now have an excellent opportunity and feather in their nest. Something they could so easily soil but something they have the resource to potentially nurture into the future.

As always we members just wait developments. I am glad to see for the near term that Andy's hand will still be on the tiller and there remains some personality steering RMWeb rather than simple corporate exploitation.

So I see it is all gain and potential, but some of us will be keeping one eye on things. ;)

(Potential) Negatives:

We must remember that when a business invests in something it expects to get a return. The income from the current level of advertising won't even scratch the surface of Andy's (massive six-figure ;)) salary, web hosting fees and other expenses, so something will have to change. This may be in the form of a significant increase in advertising or perhaps Warners will seek donations of material from RMWeb for their printed magazine(s)? I'm only speculating, of course, and I would be delighted to be proved wrong and told that Warners are just doing this for fun! Also, some contributors may have mixed feelings about their RMWeb contributions, provided free of charge, being used by a company to ultimately make profits.

Positives:

The website is now sustainable, both financially and in terms of manpower. It will no doubt be more visible to a wider audience which can only be a good thing. It may (speculating again...) have a positive influence on the content of BRM (i.e. including something which isn't BR-Eastern-Region-transition-era). Personally, I find RMWeb is my biggest and best source of modelling interest and information so I couldn't be happier that it has a stable future.

On Balance:

This is a fantastic move, and the positives far outweigh the negatives. I join everyone else in congratulating Andy for being rewarded for all his hard, and no doubt sometimes thankless, work.

Cheers,

Will

At last it can be told!

I always wanted to work in a model shop, and build the display model railway layout. All the stuff I wanted, and being paid to do it.

It has not (yet!) happened for me, but Andy has got something close!

I'm glad you have succeeded, but make sure that there are air holes in that plastic bag! :O

(Potential) Negatives:

We must remember that when a business invests in something it expects to get a return. The income from the current level of advertising won't even scratch the surface of Andy's (massive six-figure ;)) salary, web hosting fees and other expenses, so something will have to change. This may be in the form of a significant increase in advertising or perhaps Warners will seek donations of material from RMWeb for their printed magazine(s)? I'm only speculating, of course, and I would be delighted to be proved wrong and told that Warners are just doing this for fun! Also, some contributors may have mixed feelings about their RMWeb contributions, provided free of charge, being used by a company to ultimately make profits.

It isn't necessarily about advertising or harvesting any material (as covered in my OP); it's about BRM, MRL and Warners shows having a closer association with the hobby's largest online resource and for RMweb to have a closer association with aforementioned media; the value is in market presence, innovations, site activity etc (and some fun thrown in to the equation too) to create a greater whole in a (very fast) changing media arena.

RMweb contributors provide content FOC as part of a shared community; that's no different now than before, simply because they like to share, the main benefit to the community now is I don't come round waggling a begging bowl under your nose when we've broken another server.

• RMweb Gold

The income from the current level of advertising won't even scratch the surface of Andy's (massive six-figure ;)) salary...

I think that's pushing it a bit. A five figure salary, plus massive bonuses based on the amount of froth that's generated seems more likely.

If there was to be a new owner, a publisher and events organiser like Warner is the best of outcomes for us and for Andy. There's no better way to advertise the fantastic work displayed here on RMWeb than to reach as wide an audience as possible. From layouts attending more shows and publicity right down to the small kit building businesses who display their work here, almost all will benefit.

As a fellow small business owner I'm pretty sure Andy would have sought the best possible outcome not only for himself but for the members here, many of which he regards as friends, I have no doubt.

I for one am very happy with this news - it safeguards RMWeb's foreseeable future, which may not have been the case otherwise.

I can only wish Andy, his team and new colleagues the best possible luck and hope for a bright future for us all.

Steve

Congratulations RMweb - recognised as a valuable resource and 'product' in it's own right. That's not just down to Andy's vision and his (and the mod teams') hard work - but also down to every member, past and present that has engaged and interacted on the forum, sharing their modelling experiences with the world.

• RMweb Gold

Andy, being slow on the uptake as always I had no idea of your employment predicament until I read this. I always wondered how it was that you managed to keep the site running & deal with other day-to-day realities, hopefully this new arrangement will provide you with much better stability.

I do hope that the good rapport which the site has built up over the years with other commercial users (Dapol, Model Rail etc...) will continue. Dapol's collaborative developments have been a real boost to the hobby IMO and Model Rail input (via Chris Leigh) has been worthwhile too; it would be a real shame if this kind of thing was lost due to tensions between differing company camps.

I'm sure the overall RMweb ethos will survive, given the chance & the will of the community in general.

All the best to you for the future!

• RMweb Gold

, the main benefit to the community now is I don't come round waggling a begging bowl under your nose when we've broken another server.

Not that many of us minded that in the least - but then it wasn't really the best way to secure the future of RMWeb because it was not always guaranteed as a funding source (and I hope you I.T. budget now is ;) ). The big thing now is that it gives you some security and that is a potential worry off your shoulders which must be a good thing.

it would be a real shame if this kind of thing was lost due to tensions between differing company camps.

There's certainly no reason to think otherwise Rich; there's been some very supportive messages and calls - after all we're all in the same hobby.

I've worked with Warners before for many years (and still do for a non-railway event) and they are a company who have got their heads screwed on straight. I can foresee however issues arising in the future if a member or members decry a Warners product/service, but that bridge will have to be crossed when we come to it.

Archived