RMweb is now part of the Warners family

Andy Y

RMweb will probably become a 'spot the posting amongst all the competing and duplicated trade adverts' web forum, with the choice of paying a subscription to get ad free content.

You're obviously party to information that I'm not privy to then. 8)

Do ask for a half pint in a pint glass next time you're in the pub. That'll be half empty too.

• RMweb Premium

I was planning, now that I've had my tem penno'rth to stay out of the discussion, but having spent some time rereading there are clearly very mixed feelings on this front. I can actually see both sides of the argument, but to the detractors, I can only say that time will prove them right or wrong - Andy has taken a decision for firm personal and commercial reasons to try to secure the future of our daily RMWeb fix, and for that I applaud him unreservedly.

One thing which I'd be interested to know is whether there is a "get out" clause whereby if things don't work out, then the site can regain its independence? - but if so, if Andy left, I wonder who'd run it? To us, RMWeb = Andy = RMWeb, and in the past I have wondered how I would cope with running a site this big as well as having a life, and the answer is simple - I couldn't. I am pretty sure that without Andy's enforced (through redundancy) presence here, this site would not have been half as good as it is. The choice of enforced running of this site or a paid job = no choice, so to manage to be so clever as to combine both is, to my mind, a dream ticket. I was made redundant many years ago, and then the web was in its infancy, but the feelings of under achieving while looking and looking and looking for the right job was soul destroying, and I would have jumped at the chance of a project to take my mind off things - but then to get that project made into a source of income to get me off the dole - well....that to me would have been a win/win situation. I tried to achieve this, as I was a pretty good technical writer on financial matters (in particular pensions) and had I been running an amateur operation, and been offered the chance to be PAID to do the same thing within a commercial operation, I would not have had to think twice.

If there are any out there who really feel that this is not a viable way forward, you can always "do an Andy" and set up your own forum - I suspect that anybody who did would soon find out just what a nightmare it could be.

Andy, whatever happens to the forum (if anything; although it must change in order to survive, as it has had to up to now), I'm glad that this move has helped you in terms of employment and security.

Best of luck with everything and thanks for all your efforts.

• RMweb Gold

Well congratulations Andy, the MOD team and all contributers on getting RMweb to a place where a major business saw it as an important enough site to move their business into the future as many have called for many times ;)

I too would always be wary of 'influence' from the owner but that was tempered by my experience of Andy saying it how he sees things so I have the confidence that in the negiations that was sorted to his satisfaction. One of the benefits of Andy being so available to the members and being so up front in person.

With all the time now devoted to the forum I can see some interesting developments.

Good luck :)

I'd be interested to know is whether there is a "get out" clause whereby if things don't work out, then the site can regain its independence? - but if so, if Andy left, I wonder who'd run it? To us, RMWeb = Andy = RMWeb,

Both parties have entered into a long term agreement and I'm comfortable with my commitment to it, even if I were found under a Number 10 bus there will be people capable of taking it forward into the future who, now, are as much of a stakeholder in it as I am.

From an RMweb perspective there's certainly no negative impact at all. Trisonic is doing an excellent job of promoting the interests of USA & Canadian interest which I am firmly behind. The whole site is, and will be, very much driven by the content originated by modellers for other modellers and certainly not limited by the fact that BRM is centred on British content.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Andy! :drag:

Interest in the North American scene seems to be growing by leaps and bounds - real locomotives, hauling real trains and becoming more colorful by the day - what's not to like?

I'm sure the guys at BRM see this too.........

Andy and I are always looking at ways to improve our coverage, he has been most supportive indeed. We have a new "sub-fora" for (group) builds, painting, weathering, detailing and the like. I urge everyone to check it out, we're all in this together.

Best, Pete.

If there are any out there who really feel that this is not a viable way forward, you can always "do an Andy" and set up your own forum - I suspect that anybody who did would soon find out just what a nightmare it could be.

Of course that has already been done by a number of other "discontents" and sometime rejects from RMWeb. The main problem with them, has AFAIC see, is that they do not capture the encompass all atmosphere that RMWeb seems to have had from its birth, and they will also always be followers. On that point I wonder which of them is looking to cut a deal with MRJ?

Setting up a forum is easy, maintaining it as the number of contributors grow and developing its growth, is the difficult part. But no one should be blaming Andy for making what is such an obvious move for all the immediate benefits it brings.

On the membership numbers front. as everyone knows I am a right skeptic, I have never believed the total to be anywhere near the figures given. I believe that it is real for number of sign-ups but wonder how many of them actively use the site (even if they do not post). I know of one member at least with more than one identity.

[Ed.] Edited as the editor corrupted text!

Both parties have entered into a long term agreement and I'm comfortable with my commitment to it, even if I were found under a Number 10 bus driven by EHS, Cromptonnut and Tim Hale tomorrow there will be people capable of taking it forward into the future who, now, are as much of a stakeholder in it as I am.

I sincerely hope my concerns are unfounded and I'll be proven wrong as RMWeb has so far been a very useful, informative and enjoyable site. But, until that time, I'm sure you can understand that some people have reservations. Of course, we weren't party to - and have no need to be - the discussions you've had and the 'paperwork' behind the announcement and I'm sure you've tried to cover every base, but nevertheless they remain.

It's not necessarily the commercial tie-in per se, it's the fact it's Warners that concern me more.

as everyone knows I am a right skeptic,

I believe that it is real for number of sign-ups but wonder how many of them actively use the site (even if they do not post). I know of one member at least with more than one identity.[Ed.] Edited as the editor corrupted text!

I've never made any claims that it's wholly accurate or representative as I treat it with similar abandon but it is a comparator, the variables for which are likely to similarly affect other sites but there's an awful lot more traffic on the site from non-members than there is members anyway.

Both parties have entered into a long term agreement and I'm comfortable with my commitment to it, even if I were found under a Number 10 bus driven by EHS, Cromptonnut and Tim Hale tomorrow there will be people capable of taking it forward into the future who, now, are as much of a stakeholder in it as I am.

Hopefully by long term agreement you mean legally binding contract, but whatever transpires I wish you well.

And I don't hold a PSV license, so the bus won't be driven by me :-)

All things being equal I really don't see it as any problem to the readership, being a common-sense move by both parties.

I would like to think it brings in a few opportunities for improvement - not just growth.

It's still the wider membership that provides the content, so that side of things shouldn't change much in the short term, being a kinda slow thing to try and steer.

To counter the cynics and those innocently misled, it could prove to be a bit more of a necessity (rather than just a preference) for the site to maintain a visible neutrality in future.

Well done Andy, doing something you enjoy and getting paid for it. Can't be bad. Can I ask for one small alteration? Ditch the claret and blue, tangerine would be much nicer. All the best for the future.

Another vote here for tangerine & white - much better to look at than claret & blue.

Graham

Guest jim s-w

there are clearly very mixed feelings on this front

Not really - saying it doesnt make it so. Yes there are a very few people with concerns but the majority seem happy. As a point of interest, Model Rail Forum have been associated with Hornby Magazine for years and that forum is not even slight commercial. There is no precendent set that a magazine involvement with a forum make that forum commercial - quite the opposite in fact.

Besides given BRMs editorial stance over the years it would be too much work for the Mods to have to reply to every post I make with 'large P4 layouts cant be done!' :)

Cheers

Jim

Not really - saying it doesnt make it so. Yes there are a very few people with concerns but the majority seem happy.

... or haven't read the announcement, or haven't logged in yet today, or are keeping their thoughts to themselves, or have already chosen to leave?

Lack of negative responses does not automatically mean the majority of forum members agree - just they're the ones that have bothered to post messages of support.

I echo Kenton's post (#134) comment of an "encompass-all atmosphere" prevalent on this site. I asked Andy at the 400-member stage of RMweb2 whether as an ageing, dedicated armchair onlooker, with no intentions of actually modelling, if I would be a welcome member. He was welcoming then, and at a few face to face meetings since. So much so that I did take up the Diorama Challenge.

Long may that attitude continue!

Well lawks amighty! I have read the whole lot.

I have spent my entire forum life eschewing commercial taint so that I could stand up and say what I knew about railway modelling without fear of being biased. This forum has been my principle but not only platform.

I too am a little concerned for the future of RMWeb but must first add my plaudits to Andy Y and indeed the Mods team. I must say that whatever happens, Andy Y in particular deserves this job and if I was asked to vote for a paid Editor it would have to be Andy Y anyway. Obviously the Warners involvement means I get that without having to pay. Result!

Obviously we are all a little concerned about commercial involvement as it means that someone is now looking at MY content to see if they can make money from it, perhaps without asking my permission. I wouldn't want to have the idea that I was looking over my shoulder or curtailing my posts because I was under the impression that Big Brother was watching me.

All the blandishments in the world would never persuade me otherwise. I have too much commercial experience and have attempted a couple of times to translate hobbies into work situations only to be disillusioned with both the hobby and the work enough to abandon both.

Like many others, I will wait and see. I doubt we will see much difference at first but I trust Andy Y enough to stay as long as it takes.

The same thing applies to this forum as to any other web based activity, vast rapid growth is usually followed by equally rapid fade into comparative obscurity particularly when the commercial boys move in. The difference with RMWeb has been the open days and whilst those continue and my new found friends continue to show up, I would be hard put to give up on RMWeb

By the way I do have a PCV licence but won't be driving a number 10 bus over Andy Y but I might be persuaded to run it into Warners offices with petrol bomb aboard if they try to change anything.

• RMweb Gold

... or haven't read the announcement, or haven't logged in yet today, or are keeping their thoughts to themselves, or have already chosen to leave?

Lack of negative responses does not automatically mean the majority of forum members agree - just they're the ones that have bothered to post messages of support.

My mum had an expression for such attitude - "It's being so happy which keeps you going" - she had her tongue firmly in her cheek..

Lack of negative responses could mean that the majority agree, you know as much about that as the rest of us, how about keeping negativity to yourself and allowing those of us who support Andy in this new track to do just that. No-one forces you to stay, and to be honest I suspect very few want to read such comments as yours.

Some have raised the issue about admin and moderation under the new arrangements. Andy has already posted that it is essentially 'business as usual', so don't worry that you will now be moderated by staff in Warners who don't know your individualities and personalities like we do. RMWeb has always been a community, albeit a fast-growing one, and we intend to do what we can to ensure it stays that way. If that assuages some of the concerns that some of you might have about 'corporate intervention', then good.

We (the Mods) are delighted that Andy and his family now have some financial security and that Andy can now give full attention to developing and improving RMWeb, and we will continue to support him as we have done until now.

We are not part of the commercial arrangements, we do it because we believe in RMWeb and it is a service freely given in the same way as so many members freely give their time to share their modelling with us all. And we are also ordinary members too of course.

Having said that, Andy has promised us a weekly allowance of gourmet kitten food sachets, throat lozenges, Sugar Puffs and WD40 (I'm sure you can work out who gets what!).

Obviously we are all a little concerned about commercial involvement as it means that someone is now looking at MY content to see if they can make money from it, perhaps without asking my permission.

To be fair, what you're describing could have been going on all along. If I was a major player in the commercial sector I'd be keeping an eye on this forum!

As for the Warners involvement, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Somehow I knew that Andy would end up making a living from running this place - and good luck to him too!

Archived