RMweb is now part of the Warners family

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Firstly well done Andy, can't have been easy on your own, but rest assured you did a cracking job.

Secondly, just curious about the position of the mods - employed, out of work, same basis as before.......? Although not a lover of authority figures I thought they also did a sterling job....in their own quirky way of course, so a big vote of thanks to them as well.

Will you be doing the full time red pencil job now?

• RMweb Gold

A very big 'well done' and many congratulations to you, Andy, so glad that you have some personal good news as well on the job front. It's very good to know that RMWeb as well will have a secure future and I'm sure I speak for all of us in The Noble Realm in wishing you and Warners well for the future (oops, I nearly said 'going forward' at this point..... ;) :D )

As regards the Taunton Members Day, which will be the first such under the new arrangements, I can confirm that all is proceeding well and that there will be absolutely no difference in terms of the way the day is organised and run, the atmosphere at the venue etc.

• RMweb Gold

It only seems like yesterday that I read Andy's first posting on the old BRM forum calling for ideas for a new forum - he asked for ideas and suggestions which he then used to launch the first version of RMWeb - and I joined the new forum as soon as it appeared (albeit under a different user name which I've forgotten.....).

Since then I've wondered how Andy has managed what he's done and it's great now to learn that things have worked out the way they have. When I opened up RMWeb this morning and saw the new colours and layout I thought "oh, gawd, not more change". Having read Andy's commentary it's obvious to me that, in these difficult times, what's happened is all good news. Both Andy's and RMWeb's future is now secured and that must be good for all of us.

Many thanks, Andy, for giving us a great resource. Long may it continue.

Keith

Can I take this opportunity to ask what, if anything, will happen with the Marketplace? Are there opportunities for improvements?

On a completely frivolous note, are we going to get themes (like the Green one) back?

1. The Marketplace will remain and be developed. I hope to tap into support for some developments there.

2. There's a couple of things I'm trying to fix with this one as a base first of all (owing to a glitch discovered yesterday I had to build a new skin at 7.00 this morning) and then I can look at some alternatives for folk. I'm still trying to get it work with this as a default for non-members.

• RMweb Gold
As regards the Taunton Members Day, which will be the first such under the new arrangements, I can confirm that all is proceeding well and that there will be absolutely no difference in terms of the way the day is organised and run, the atmosphere at the venue etc.

Surely now we can set up a pasty subscription, to be delivered to our doors before they are available at the bakers........sometimes........if you're lucky.

(See what I did there?)

• RMweb Premium

Excellent news and well done for securing the right deal for you and us!!

I'd like to echo the thoughts above that maybe BRM will now begin to present features on some of the best layouts on RMweb for its magazine; I might even consider a subscription (1/3rd off for RMweb members of course ;) )

On the subject of colour and themes; maybe we could have individually-selectable themes for region/era modelled etc...?!! :sungum:

Secondly, just curious about the position of the mods - employed, out of work, same basis as before.......? Although not a lover of authority figures I thought they also did a sterling job....in their own quirky way of course, so a big vote of thanks to them as well.

Will you be doing the full time red pencil job now?

Thanks Phil, it is opportune for me too to publicly thank the Mods for their work and support through this process. As active members of the site they all (with no arm-twisting) would like to support the smooth operation of the site into the future as members of the community on the same basis as before.

I'd like to echo the thoughts above that maybe BRM will now begin to present features on some of the best layouts on RMweb for its magazine; I might even consider a subscription (1/3rd off for RMweb members of course ;) )

Liverpool Lime Street is in the next issue and Bradfield Gloucester Square will be in soon - and that was before we joined forces - onwards and upwards I say!

Best wishes to all for the future . This has become a huge site of huge value to the hobby in Britain (and beyond) and must require a very large commitment. Inevitably there comes a point where that outruns what can be done on a part time /volunteer basis, and it is good news that the forum is secure and firmly underpinned and that you and your family also have their future secured.

While there may some potential implications it's worth noting that British outline modelling has been unusual in that the online forums have pretty well all been freelance private ventures, whereas in most other countries it's the norm that the main forums are run by modelling magazines. It's also worth recalling that BRM has a tradition of hosting a very open letters page and has some previous experience in the area of forums, so it is arguably the most natural partner

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Richard, I'd say it's most likely that I will be at the key Warners' events. I'll be the one in the polo shirt with a target on it. ;)

A very big 'well done' and many congratulations to you, Andy, so glad that you have some personal good news as well on the job front. It's very good to know that RMWeb as well will have a secure future and I'm sure I speak for all of us in The Noble Realm in wishing you and Warners well for the future (oops, I nearly said 'going forward' at this point..... ;) :D )

Will BRM be at Taunton though ??

Can I ask, as the tie up is with a British Railways magazine, what impact it will have for those of us that model overseas railways?

From an RMweb perspective there's certainly no negative impact at all. Trisonic is doing an excellent job of promoting the interests of USA & Canadian interest which I am firmly behind. The whole site is, and will be, very much driven by the content originated by modellers for other modellers and certainly not limited by the fact that BRM is centred on British content.

• RMweb Gold

Hope this will ensure the future of the site, and that Andy's input will provide continuity.

I know from experience what a time consuming thing running a members organisation is. You have to field all the s*** with sometimes no thanks and little reward.

Will BRM be at Taunton though ??

Possibly and hopefully. Dicky W and other members of the BRM team have supported several Members' Days and I'm sure they'd love to come and eat pasties.

Surely now we can set up a pasty subscription, to be delivered to our doors before they are available at the bakers........sometimes........if you're lucky.

Pasty just arrived here, but not in a plastic bag - the cat ate it.

Congratulations Andy, wishing you and Warners a successful collaboration. One certainty in life is that change is inevitable, if you do not move with with it, you will fall behind.

It's interesting that, in order for us to try to capture a moment in time on our layouts, we are using more and more up to date technology to achieve it.

It's quite clear that new technology can be very supportive to our hobby, and all who are here must be using a computer so we are clearly living in today's reality, even if our heart's are in some sepia hinterland.

I hope you move from strength to strength.

Kind regards,

Paul

Well done, Andy!!!

In view of their financial commitment (including Andy's six figure salary and bonus arrangement :D ) I wouldn't find a more visible Warner presence on the site intrusive.

Only fair really.

Wise heads in their organisation will realise that excluding the variety presently on offer would be detrimental.

Well done to Warner too. Andy is a star.

Now if it had been Warners who took over the Ian Allan magazines as well my suspicious nature would have muttered something about world domination!

Andy, it is your asylum and we are but inmates. Let us all hope that the future is a rosy one.

Chris

Archived