RMweb is now part of the Warners family

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Andy said (in post #1)

RMweb has previously been funded by voluntary donation, forum sponsors and raffles; the provision of the hosting service and software is now by Warners thus eliminating the continual and regular reliance upon donations to keep the server cogs turning.

Can I ask what the residual balance is/was before the today's announcement, and what will be done with that balance (if any) now ?

(Tell me to p*** off too if the question is out of order).

Stu

I've just done it 10 times.

4 times I got absolute aspects - a sign of things to come ?

2 times I got the Warner show

2 times I got the link to the announcement

1 time I got the Nottingham show

1 time I got Ian Morton

You got Ian Morton, I'm still clicking and hoping for a Julia Bradbury :mosking:

(Tell me to p*** off too if the question is out of order).

Not at all. I'll use the text from a PM exchange today which sought the same information.

In truth there was virtually nothing left in the kitty following last June's fund-raising to cover the Members' day costs after the server upgrade and work over Christmas. Obviously I knew that changes would be coming and would have been wholly uncomfortable about accepting anything else so I'd made sure we could get through to now. If there were any unsolicited donations that came through I sought to return these but without trying to give the game away.

I still need to chase people around on the raffle anyway, both winners and prize donors!

• RMweb Premium

I've been watching this debate all day, being off sick from work, and had just logged in when Andy's announcement came up, after a brief break of service while the colour scheme changed. I see Aston Villa rather than west Ham; Dad was born in Aston. I had some reservations over the potential for a commercial interest to have an unwelcome effect on the site, but as various issues have been aired and Andy has responded to them i'm now pretty sure that all will be well and the site will improve. Great for Andy to have this as his day job, too. I have slight reservations about advertising. I expect we'll see more, but as I barely glance at it after first sight, more may not be very noticeable. What I would hope not to see is the amount of advertising that slows down the opening of every page. The ads there today have been there for wekks, surely, so a hardly a sign of things to come. Funny that some people have only noticed them as a result of the change. Here's to the future (glug, glug).

Pete

Whichever way I don't view it as a problem.

Neither do most of us - and those that do simply block ads from appearing, which makes for a much less cluttered view but a real pain when you really are looking for that favourite sponsor.

Although I have expressed some caution - I'd still like to reiterate the positive aspects of this. All the negative hot air really needs to be tempered for the moment as there is no sign of it happening yet and every reassurance that it will not. If it ever does we can all make our own judgement and decisions then, even if that is too late.

RMWeb just evolves yet again, some changes may be supported some may not - most of us have the fallback position of mistrusting any change. Andy must surely have expected the usual uncertainty among members when posting this thread?

• RMweb Premium

OH FUDGE...... i knew i slipped up somewhere with all the cuppa`s i sup a day, long days 20+ and maybe shares in a kettle making firm.

I wonder if Andy now having paid work he can claim a company mobility scooter to save him all them 20 yard walks, well got to think of his health these days hehehe.

side note: Andy walkies kettle has just boiled :P oh you cant against EU regs too much walking about lol

As an employee Andy will have to fill in a Risk Assessment Form before boiling the kettle and adding the sugar now......

• RMweb Premium

I don't "get" all this suspicion, doom & gloom, and conspiracy theory.

RMweb has always been Andy's "baby", and if HE is happy with the new situation, I suggest that's all the reassurance we need!

RMweb has always evolved, and will continue to do so.

Dave.T

Choking hazard from chocolate digestives etc... ;)

have we created the first thread to pass 11 pages in one day?

I'm sure some of the manufacturer announcement ones will have given it a good run but what surprised me (and not that it means anything to my ego but I appreciate the gesture) is that the OP is the first one I've seen with over 100 'likes' so it shows a good number of people are generally positive about it.

I do thank everyone, not just the posters in topic, but all the PMs, emails and phone calls that have given support to reinforce that it is a good thing (with some reservations maybe but accepting that time will tell and with a vote of confidence). It shows it's all still about a community and the mutual benefits.

I wonder if the day will arrive when I'm posting a workbench thread and finding pop-up adverts for U-Pol Acid Etch Primer, Commet Models, spray masks, gastro-resistant capsules, Jezz Bugs double glazing, Gibson coach wheels and sleeping tablets.....

I say this because I was asked if I minded "appropriate" ads on my coach website and found some scantily clad young ladies displaying a modelling course in Chester. :swoon:

Had it not been for RMWeb, Andy, and the rest of you on here my return to railway modelling three years ago would have been very short lived.

When Andy announced that his personal income stream had dried last year I think that many of us were concerned, not just for the forum, but for him and his family, as he's been very supportive of many people's efforts. Over the past few months we've been aware of a bit more involvement of Andy in the greater commercial world of modelling - he is after all a respected figure. To have this is the icing on the cake - must be. Congratulations, mate.

I can recall something similar - Dave Rowe's story about how he was recruited by (I think) CJF - it has parallels.

• RMweb Premium

As an employee Andy will have to fill in a Risk Assessment Form before boiling the kettle and adding the sugar now......

And then pass it up to Head Office for approval...

Just one item how dose this effect photos that you have taken for other mags for articels written by us members but not yet published. Will you still be doing this work/

I won't be undertaking work for other magazines Peter from this point onwards but any work previously carried out and handed over to the commissioning magazine will go ahead as planned.

I will be staying in the snappers saddle though with content for MI and looking forward to tackling some really tasty stuff for that in the next few weeks.

• RMweb Gold

I say this because I was asked if I minded "appropriate" ads on my coach website and found some scantily clad young ladies displaying a modelling course in Chester. :swoon:

That sounds appropriate to me :yes:

• RMweb Premium

Well done Andy, I bet it feels great to be back employed, and even better to be working full time on your project.

I hope you now get some time to do some actual modelling.

Cheers

Owen

P.s. I hope your claiming overtime for 'working' on here this evening

Despite the daily commute being down to 20 paces (see how environmentally conscious I am ;)), the tea rations are awful. I shall have a word with myself.

Here's hoping all future tea is froth-free. Well done, Andy. The credit for this resource is all yours. Enjoy the dividends of all your hard work.

Cheers

Jan

• RMweb Gold

I won't be undertaking work for other magazines Peter from this point onwards but any work previously carried out and handed over to the commissioning magazine will go ahead as planned.

I will be staying in the snappers saddle though with content for MI and looking forward to tackling some really tasty stuff for that in the next few weeks.

Of course Warners also get a very good modeller/writer/photographer into the bargain as well.

Guest jim s-w

As I said about 6 pages ago, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and hope that my concerns are proven to be false - and that's not something that is likely to happen one way or the other in the space of less than a day, is it?

You are right there but PLEASE dont wait 2 and a half years for a comment about running RMweb that is not to your liking then start screaming 'I told you so' By all means give things the benefit of your doubt but if in a few months your doubts do prove to be unfounded please - 1. Drop it and 2. have the nuts to say you were wrong.

Cheers

Jim

Archived