RMweb is now part of the Warners family

Andy Y

Terrific news Andy - after so much time and energy you've put into this site, you certainly deserve to be paid for it, and I'm very pleased to hear this is now the case! What an amazing position to be in - a super result for you, and us knowing the site's future is effectively secure (always wondered what would happen if you decided to retire some day...).

I also hope this will benefit Warners - I have to say I haven't read BRM in a decade, I found the quality lacking, so hopefully this will encourage a more open flow of content from RMweb to the magazine - there is enough superb modelling on here to fill years of issues!

Thinking about it, I wonder if this means there's a chance of an 'RMweb modelling annual' book or magazine sometime in the future - would certainly be a huge commercial success...

Once again, congratulations, you've undoubtedly had the biggest impact on the hobby since Dapol started up again, or Bachman purchased Farish and about time you can get some reward!

David

• RMweb Gold

Really pleased for you Andy, thanks. Is this likely to have any impact on people like Dapol Dave? It's not my field, but I have been so impressed by the ongoing interaction between web members and Dave on the Western project: there seems to be a mutually beneficial, co-operative and participative way forward developing there?

Best wishes,

Alastair

Is this likely to have any impact on people like Dapol Dave? It's not my field, but I have been so impressed by the ongoing interaction between web members and Dave on the Western project: there seems to be a mutually beneficial, co-operative and participative way forward developing there?

That's Dave's call of course but there's no reason why anything is likely to change and I hope such beneficial interaction as evidenced in that topic is only the start of such possibilities.

How come the forum is not in a plastic bag now ?

A supply will be issued at Taunton when I've taken them off Mod5's head (he's been a naughty bear this morning).

So when can we expect the hollywood blockbuster a'la "the social network" about rmwebs rise to global domination

I'll put you down for a bit part as the 'pigeon-killer'.

Be interesting to see how the "link" with a single magazine works out. Not to the exclusion of the others I hope. The attempted link with Model Rail in the case of the Diorama Challenge didn't work well, due to the disparity in publishing schedules and pressure on print space.

Good to see the Andy is happy with his new situation, sincerely hope it works for him, after his taste of autonomy! and he's still there to keep us under control!

I noticed and liked the new colour heading etc. but it took a few minutes for the penny to drop.

Hi Andy

Just to add my congratulations, and great to see that all the hard work as paid off. I could see something along these lines happening to this forum, it was the size it has been getting and keeping us all in touch, on a spare time basis must have been a nightmare.

As for the future?, the media and real modelers working together, sounds too good, so, someone will find a way of taxing it!.

Gary

• RMweb Premium

Well done Andy , at last all of your hard work has reaped the reward is deserves , security is a very important

thing these days and if this move secures your future then it is a good thing .

If this had not taken place then eventually I could see that the whole site could have crumbled due to the

financial and time availabity placed on your shoulders , we all have limits after all .

Hopefully now when you wake up in the mornings things can be relaxed for you and your family , they deserve our

thanks in many ways for the support and help they have given you .

Heres to a long and safe future for this flagship site and your continued work on it . :drink_mini:

Its great to hear that you have a job and security out of this. Your hobby into a job! well time will tell i hope you continue to enjoy the hobby now its a job. Congratulations and all the best for the future.

• RMweb Gold

I always felt that by donating to the coffers, RMWeb was partly 'mine' - I was helping to maintain it and prolong it's life.

Whilst I am wholeheartedly behind Andy's reasons for passing over the ownership and securing an income for his family, I echo some of the sentiments above that this might change the whole atmosphere of the forum, not necessarily for the better.

I aslo hope that the forum retains its independence from all magazines and manufacturers, irrespective of the owner or sponsors.

On the otherhand, it will probably make absolutely no difference whatsoever and will prove to be a superb move.

(Andy - congratulations !! )

Stu

Being completely honest about it all I share some of the feelings Stu has expressed above but the important, and amazing, thing about it is that Andy has secured an employer for his job. And that's closely following some of us recently giving BRM a bit of stick - so clearly they weren't put off by openness and that must be a good sign for the future I think.

Above all I hope that the spirit of RMWeb will be maintained and that the new ownership cap comes with a commitment which is wholly protected in any future strategic change within or affecting its commercial ownership (and anyone who was in post privytisation BR will know exactly what I mean).

But above all - well done Andy, you've done the best thing for you and yours.

PS I hope that MI will continue - onwards & upwards?

Edit to add comment re MI

Well done Andy

I will still read and follow rmweb how I have far the last few years and it good to know that you and RMweb have a good long term further

Dose this now mean RMweb will be promoted at the big shows where warners have a stall or have a hand in running it.

Richard Brown

Dose this now mean RMweb will be promoted at the big shows where warners have a stall or have a hand in running it.

Thanks Richard, I'd say it's most likely that I will be at the key Warners' events. I'll be the one in the polo shirt with a target on it. ;)

• RMweb Premium

I'd like to congratulate Andy on being able to go full time with the site, even if it meant having to lose total independence. There have been moments in the last year or two that I felt the site needed some kind of solid underpinning for its future, and this appears to have been on Andy's mind too. Being able to do your hobby for income is always a gladdening thing to be able to consider and choose to do.

Can I take this opportunity to ask what, if anything, will happen with the Marketplace? Are there opportunities for improvements?

On a completely frivolous note, are we going to get themes (like the Green one) back?

Archived