Dapol working signals review

Andy Y

Very nice, I assume that the operating noise is somewhat more muffled when actually attached to a baseboard.

Just wondering how many modellers have 14mm drill bits to make the hole though? My electric drill will only go up to a 10mm bit.

Still, if the logical follow-through of this development follows Dapol's foray into 7mm then I can see me buying a couple for that project too.

• RMweb Gold

Impressed. I'm certainly going to check out the LMS 4mm version when it appears. Thanks for the review, Andy - and thanks to Dapol for having the initiative to fill a much needed gap.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice, I assume that the operating noise is somewhat more muffled when actually attached to a baseboard.

Just wondering how many modellers have 14mm drill bits to make the hole though? My electric drill will only go up to a 10mm bit.

Still, if the logical follow-through of this development follows Dapol's foray into 7mm then I can see me buying a couple for that project too.

Try a spade bit. They fit in a normal chuck and go beyond 25mm.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

All looks good for me. I was thinking of getting a new engine but will now get three home signals to finish part of my lay out at which stage I may even take some pictures and share them.

other drill bits are available to this one but I'll be using one of these to create the required hole.

14mm drill bit

Graham

Drill a pilot hole and then use a spade bit. Sometimes it is a good idea to drill a small countersink hole with the spade bit from both sides before drilling right through. Saves the surface splintering which happens a lot on ply and MDF.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I may have to pick up one of these to see how easy it would be to use the mechanism in conjunction with some MSE bits, namely lattice posts & etched arms!

If I may ask Andy, is there any detail on compatability with DCC systems?

Thanks,

Tom.

Not specifically Tom but they should be a doddle; the power for the motor and LED could run from the track bus and then have an accessory decoder for the signal operation. I use Lenz LS150s and I know those can be programmed for the duration of the burst.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not specifically Tom but they should be a doddle; the power for the motor and LED could run from the track bus and then have an accessory decoder for the signal operation. I use Lenz LS150s and I know those can be programmed for the duration of the burst.

Ok, many thanks Andy!

Alexandra Palace could be more expensive than first thought!

Tom.

Edited by TomE

With a voltage rating of 16 V ac but momentary push button operation, the best bet would be a relay. Don't make the mistake i made and use the relay on slo mo continuous as it burns out the decoder.

Don't try to put 16 Vac straight through the accessory decoder either, on the basis that it says in the instructions that 'what you put in is what you get out of our decoder' Yeah right.

Nice signals though but I wonder how that motor or more importantly, motors will work on a signal gantry or even a single post with two signals.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a great product. The slight stutter on the downward pull is a little irritating but I'm sure that you would soon get used to this assuming it is present on each model and that this is not a one off issue.

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting and a brave venture which I hope will pay off for Dapol (and yet more 2012 Westernry - shades of Andy's thread from last year methinks, but then we have been asking for all these these things so we have no one to 'blame' but ourselves ;) ). Any chance of the mechanism being available separately?

Addenda - re Buffalo's comment in respect of the back blinder, Nick is correct - the bback blinder should only obscure the back light when the signal is 'off' (and not all signals had back blinders although better with than none at all.

My only, fairly minor, criticism is that the width of the white band (and the black chevron) doesn't look right and appears to be too narrow but that is something readily corrected.

post-6859-0-68032800-1331075915_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-22957700-1331075882_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2