Ellerby - 4mm/OO gauge - All photos working, hotlinked.

Jamiel

Some more progress. I have done a few bits on the goods building, but hadn't been taking photos, sorry, so a little catching up.

Adding the gutters, I have made supports by drilling 30thou plasticard, and then cutting it to shape. This is practical for the model, rather than a copy of anything on the actual building. They are quite small, but don't distract in my opinion.

Goods64.jpg

Glued into position.

Goods65.jpg

The gutter are 2.5 mm half round Evergreen strip (perhaps a little wide, I might go for thinner gutters and drain pipes next time. Joins are made from little strips cut from masking tape (again a technique from Geoff Taylor's books).
Goods66.jpg

As you can probably see I have also added the roof and slates. The roof base is again thin ply, and the slates are from York Models (I think), pre cut adhesive backed strips. Very nice to use. I might have gone a little too far with making them look worn and out of true, but then maybe not. The building would need re-titling pretty soon if it were in this condition, but then I wanted the station to look a bit run down.

Goods67.jpg

First coat of red (matt 100 I think), half mixed with Chocolate Matt 98, the same as the doors and some details, for the gutters, They will need plenty of waethering down, and a very dark grey in the top.
Goods68.jpg

A few other drain, and water pipes added and painted, some from plastic detailing packs (Knightwing? - I bought a few a long time ago).
Goods69.jpg

I also added some edges into one of the windows (left of the small door), door frames, and set in the small door. I didn't allow for the side inserts making the windows slightly thinner, so some of the etches/plastic moulds are a little cramped, but the one left of the door, was missing the left side. It is a bit asymmetrical now, but doesn't lose one side.

I also added raised grates with brick surrounds at the base of the drain pipes, partially painted now.

It is getting there, but the little details take time, and don't show up so much in photos. White metal chimneys, roof flashing, roof painting, stone tops to the walls, and a nice metal good office sign to add, plus more weathering and touching up.

I also really want to make a start on the signal box soon, but don't want this to stall, so am making an effort to get it finished, although I will no doubt keep adding to the weathering gradually.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 5

A little more done tonight, the first photo is a detail of the one below (my close up pic was too burred).

I didn't like how the drain pipe I had added towards the left on the front stood too proud, so I made some cuts, and sat back the two long sections. A new top piece was added, and the support for the gutter there removed. I added joins made from masking tape, and then (as always) used some Humbrol filler to make the curves. Also a little off-cut of the rod to make the join at the top, and to make it long enough, as I cut it just too short.

Goods70.jpg

A wide view of the front.
Goods71.jpg

Chimney pots picked up at a show have been added, cast in pewter (lead free no less) from Scene Setters 444 Tall round hoop and ridge, byt Freestone Model Accessories. Lead flashing made from masking tape has been added at the edge of the slates, ends and chimney bases, and yet again some Humbrol filler added.
Goods72.jpg

A wide view of the back.  Not too worried by the drain pipes as the walls are quite bare here. You can also see the light bulb I have added to the boxed off room. I might some interior detail if needed, but I will wait to see how it looks lit in the dark. The windows are misted with dirt, and it is a warehouse, so boxes might do it if needed.
Goods73.jpg

Maybe a little filler needed on the chimney tops, but other then that only the stone top to the retaining walls, and the sign to add to the front, then painting and weathering. The bad news is that I can't find my favourite dry brushing brush, but I am sure it will turn up with a bit of tidying of the work bench.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 3

Does anyone know what has happened to Jonte. He blog and profile have gone from RMweb.

He posted some lovely weathering pics of his Liverpool Cheapsde GWR buildings earlier in the thread, and I would love to see how he weathered the roofs, but more than that I just want to check he is OK.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, likes, and ticks of other sorts.

A quick update (again).

The roof tiles were painted Humbrol Slate Grey (31 I think), then I heavily diluted Matt Black, and ran it into the tiles, and wiped off the excess, in the same way as I did the mortar. I do now think that I overdid the randomness with the tiles, this would be a roof in pretty bad repair.

I have also added a sign (which I will post full details of next time I post, I got a couple of nice sets from a show a couple of years ago). It has also been weathered once in position with thinned black, and then in the later shots with a dry brush of Matt 121 Stone.

The guttering also had a wash of the thinned black, but more will be needed to take it back a little more, as mentioned later.

The colour difference is due to being shot in direct sunlight for these pics.
Goods74.jpg

Goods75.jpg

Goods76.jpg

Goods77.jpg

I also picked out the leading with a mix of Slate Grey and Stone. I dry brushed a light grey (Railmatch Roof Grey I think). This was followed by a very thin wash of Chocolate Matt 98 for two reasons, one the Slate Grey is a bit green, and I also believe in giving everything an overall wash to bring the colour scheme of the whole layout together (a technique from my digital imaging background, and also one my mother, an art teacher taught me many years ago).

I then dry brushed the Slate Grey overall to try and bring the evenness back a bit. I will have to see how it all dries, but it might need a pass of the Slate Grey with the airbrush, like I did with the brick work to even it all out better. I am compensating for over doing the randomness of the slates, by making the painting a little too flat, hopefully ti will all tie in.
Goods78.jpg

I will have a look in the morning when it has dried properly, and see if it needs that airbrush pass. It also needs some dry brushing with the Stone Matt 121 on bits of brickwork touched up just under the gutters, and the gutters need toning down a little more.

I might also add some water run lines/lime deposits, and some moss and paint mixed with talc for build up of dirt.

Thanks to Jonte (former member) for some details on roof weathering, I didn't follow it precisely, but worked within the colour set I have chosen (another lesson from my mother, only 5 basic paints for a piece of work, two of which are black and white).

Jamie

• Like 8

This is a thing of beauty. I've been agonising over how to make some suitable chimney pots, but seeing this, I think I'll just have to dip into my pocket and get some chimney pots from Freestone - they look just what I'm after!

Does anyone know what has happened to Jonte. He blog and profile have gone from RMweb.

He posted some lovely weathering pics of his Liverpool Cheapsde GWR buildings earlier in the thread, and I would love to see how he weathered the roofs, but more than that I just want to check he is OK.

I wondered about that too

There are a couple of posts from guest_jonte that I've seen (but not recently)

Hi Freebs, Jonte is still watching the topics he is interested in, and I got a couple of emails from him. He just wanted to move on from being a member on the forum.

I have made a start on the North signal box, although it was only when I cut out the ply base that I relaised that I have made the bridge facing end slightly wrong, here is a slightly revised end plan.

EndPlanNew.jpg

Here are the parts laid out as work started, two Modelex Churchward NE signal box MX3 frets (York show),a set of Smiths by W&T leavers etch I got from a show a couple of years ago (York show again I think, but I have seen the stand at lots of shows in the North). Some of the ply cut, the plans (not revised) some brass strips (for corner uprights, and wire for the railings), a couple of L brass strips that were the wrong size from the Alan Gibson kits may well find use here too.

I think I will use the same brick card again (Slaters A4 sheets I think), although I am starting to see the skew to the right that other have mentioned. The brick arches above the seven round topped windows hare being scored into 20thou plasticard, as there are no suitable one from my favourite Wills arches. I will also need another of those pewter chimney pots, they are definitely worth the money, £2 for a set of four I think, and I also have a bigger pack of different ones, which was a pound or two more.
SignalBox1.jpg

I have left the airbrushing and final layers on the goods building roof, as there will be times on this when I have to leave it for a day, so I can work between final touches to that building and basic work on this (I hope).

I said I would give details on the sign I used on the goods building, they are small metal (I think) pre cut signs, with different colours for each BR region, and three sets (maybe more now) for each, general station signs, loco and goods depots, and timetables and BR advertising signs. They are from The Buffer Stop Shop, Station House, North Howden, East Yorks, DN14 7LD, 01430 431431. I'm looking forward to using the others I have.

Thanks again for the comments and ticks.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 3

Thank you Dennis, it is always good to hear that what I am posting is of interest, and (hopefully) not just waffling to myself.

A couple of quick pics to show a couple of hours of faffing with the window arches. Marked out on 20thou plasticard, then scored with a scribe. I must look out for one that is better for plasticard though, as I think the one I have is more suitable for metal, just a sharp point that tends to make a furrow, rather than a groove (Eileens Emporium, or some other stand at the next show).
SignalBox2.jpg

Cut out and filed to shape, and then photographed in too low a light to get a sharp pic (sorry).
SignalBox3.jpg

Tomorrow I will start on getting the brickwork on to the ply, and then get those sections glued together to start the box properly.

Thanks again for the comments, ticks and feedback.

Jamie

• Like 4

Just a little progress today, the front and back base bricks started to be cut. I decided to fit the arches to the brick sheet at this stage, one as I had shaped each arch hole to one of the brick arches I made yesterday, so if there was some variation between them I didn't want to spend ages matching them up later. It also allowed me to run a little Humbrol Plastic filler in from behind which worked better than from the front, as it was pushed through only where needed, and didn't run into the brick work (although that does make the bricks feel worn anyway).
SignalBox4.jpg

Hopefully more over the weekend, tonight's was just a little progress before sharing a bottle with my partner Sarah to celebrate her new job (I am feeling very proud of her).

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

A couple of quick photos to show a little bit of progress on the signal box.

Sorry for this being a flash photo, the brick cards are glued on to the ply, and the flooring of the upsatir is loosely sat in place, and the box placed where it will sit on the layout to get an idea of how much space it will take. The off-cut of chipboard with the Hornby and Bachmann boxes is where the road bridge will be.
SignalBox5.jpg

Window lintels added, and on the back wall the edging for the arched windows has been added (sorry for the blur).
SignalBox6.jpg

The reverse of the back showing the window edging, and the padding behind it to make it stronger, also the tabs for the flooring to sit on.
SignalBox7.jpg

I have also primed, and one a first pass on the etched windows, misted some clear plastic for the glazing with some grey, and also airbrushed the roof of the good building with the grey (Humbrol Slate Grey Matt 31 - it is a bit green I know). The roof of that will need more work, too much dry brushing and edging makes it look too random, and too little, as it has gone back to now, makes it too flat, it will need to be worked more carefully than the above photos of the first couple of passes, but it all gradually builds up, so I think it is still moving forward.

I was tempted to save the window etches and glazing for a later point for the signal box than I did on the goods building, but I am not sure. I may need to get it all together and add base coats for the brick work, but it is a balance between that and still having good access to the windows to fit them accurately.

Nice to be progressing on a new building.

Jamie

• Like 2

Further painstaking creativity Jamie.

Great buildings...

Thought I'd visit your thread and return the sentiment about having a good weekend.

Good news on the job and the wine that followed.. Maybe it was a nice bottle of mineral water who knows !

Just a little progress, I have now glued the four sides together, and added a few details of raised brick work, but nothing very exciting. I have not worried too much about the brickwork on the base layer at the corners, as the design of the box has a raised corner layer on all the corners, so this can be done with a better fit with the raised pieces, and they can cover any rough edges.

I am using my belt and braces method of holding it together while it dries.

SignalBox8.jpg

SignalBox9.jpg

Hope to make a bit more progress at the weekend. Other things have taken priority a bit over the last week.

Jamie

A good afternoon's work on the signal box.

Detailing of the walls, specifically the wood (or stone?) ridge around, that the supports for the walkways are attached to, and continues as a decoration all the way around. Also the beams for the steps to fix to, and most of the wood top edge.

SignalBox10.jpg#

SignalBox11.jpg

I also added the chimney breast to the back, and after looking at some of the source photos, decided to drop the raised support next to it, which would be superfluous with the chimney there, and would also clutter the building.

SignalBox12.jpg

I am going to get as much detail on to the brick work before adding the glazed window etches. I don't want all the masking I had to do on the goods shed, although the one arched window on the top floor might need to be set in earlier than the others to get the interior walls added. The etches have received their second, or reverse coat of paint. I will also add something in the middle of the ground floor, so you can't see through the windows front to back.

SignalBox13.jpg

The goods shed still needs some apinting on the roof, and some weathering/dulling down on the drain pipes and gutters, but is near to being finished. I also also tempted to add some rust dry brushing to the water tower/coaler too.

Jamie

• Like 3

Almost finished on the goods building. I say almost, as I know there are tiny bits I will retouch, but they will need a few days drying, and of course there is the paving to do on the attached platform too.

The roof has had some dry and wet brushing on Sea Grey (Humbrol Matt 27), and a few other colours from my palette,slate grey, stone, black. A little toning down/weathering on the drain pipes and gutters, and other little bits that needed retouching. I did work a little talc into the last coat as well.

Goods79.jpg

Goods80.jpg

Goods81.jpg

Goods82.jpg

Goods83.jpg

Goods84.jpg

Goods85.jpg

Back to the signal box.

Here is an example of what happens when you are impatient with the brick paintng technique. It doesn't spoil it, and I can dry brush the brick work back on. The brick red (Matt 70) had been left 1 day, but it had been thinned a little, and although the surface was dry, it hadn't fully set, so when I brushed on the stone (matt 121) for the mortar, it acted as a solvent for the not fully dry paint (it must just have been the very surface that was dry), and when I wiped it off, it took of most of the brick red too. Still it is only the one section I wanted to get ready for the arched window etch and glazing in the top floor, and will be fine to allow that to be added.

SignalBox14.jpg

More soon, and it was very enjoyable working this weekend with he garage door open, and 'test match special' on the internet, plus we did avoid the follow on.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 6

Woodwork around the windows has been added, and made to fit the etches with little strips built up, flooring added and the interior walls. I was tempted by brick painted white for the interior, but looking at references it seems that t the interior was finished more nicely than that on the NER boxes.

A hole has been drilled to allow power for lights, and a stove and chimney breast need adding over that for detail, and for the wire to be hidden. The one window etch and glazing that needed setting in has also been added and fitted in behind the interior walling, plus a little strip to form a recess and a windows sill.

SignalBox15.jpg

SignalBox16.jpg

SignalBox17.jpg

I am going to keep working on this adding exterior details as much as possible before adding the window etches and glazing. I am also going to make the rails and supports from brass, so that might need doing next, so that I can work out exactly how the fitting behind are to be added.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, life has been getting in the way of modelling the last few weeks.

Anyway there have been some little bits of stuff done. A stove has been fashioned from plasticard surrounding a piece of tubing to act as flue, and also for the wires for the lights to pass through. It is probably a little oversize, but I'm hoping that will not be really evident when viewed through the glazing.

I have also painted the brickwork with the usual method, only as far as the airbrush with brick red, so more dry brushing, and a little re-mortaring to do.

I have a plan for the walkways using brass L pieces and a cut down of the GT Etches pieces I got, which are too big for this signal box. It will involve some soldering, my first attempt was too flimsy, so I have worked out a stronger method. I might get some time to have a go at that during the week, but it all depends on how things go with family and work.

SignalBox18.jpg

SignalBox19.jpg

SignalBox20.jpg

Jamie

• Like 2

Six of the ten supports for the walkways made. I have cut down some GT Etches to fit the size for the supports, and soldered them on to right angle bends of thin L brass strip. I realised that just soldering these to the up posts was too weak, so hopefully these will be stronger. The over length bits at the end will be pushed into holes drilled into the edge of the walls.

SignalBox21.jpg

Hopefully more very soon.

Jamie

• Like 5